Thoughts on drilling holes thru good paint?

-
Double sided tape is thick and ugly, and the half assed way to do it.

Just take your time, measure like five times, use tape and a really good drill and bit, maybe even use a dremal so that you have more control and a smaller tool, and do the job right. You'll be happy that you did in the long run. It will look better, wont randomly fall off, and wont have ugly tape backing it.

Just take your time, measure like five times, use tape and a really good drill and bit, maybe even use a dremal so that you have more control and a smaller tool, and do the job right. You'll be happy that you did in the long run. It will look better, wont randomly fall off, and wont have ugly tape backing it.

Amen brother!

Just use a good unibit and no worries at all. Get them at the electrical supply house. It drills in steps and you can't break it at least not easily and they cut a very smooth clean hole.

It ain't that thick, it ain't that ugly, that's what an exact-o knife is for. IF you ever decide you don't like the trim, you have holes in your ride man! Not everybody is doing a concourse restoration, and can be politically correct as you are, being the pole bearer and all.

I would be hard pressed to cut the studs off of an emblem that is as hard to find as those! Drilling is not rocket science, and with your machinist background I'm sure you're pretty handy with the drill! Just set it up with the suggested tape method and drill em!! No problem!! Geof

Seems to me you were well advised. Use sharp tungsten or carbide drill bits. Step through 3-4 sizes between the bit you start with and last one. Suggest a little primer and touch-up paint in the holes to prevent rust or water infiltration between the primer and finish coat

I would put down several layers of tape. Start with a small diameter bit (1/16"?) and work your way up to the correct size. I'd probably drill a single hole first, put the emblem in place (hold it with tape?) take a good squint, and mark the second hole to get it exactly level. Or draw a line on the tape using a level either horizontally or vertically depending on the stud arrangement. Then put some paint on the exposed bare metal of the holes and let it dry before the final attachment so it doesn't rust.

Or have a completely disinterested person do it for you when you're not around so you have someone to blame.
Right as rain

I would be hard pressed to cut the studs off of an emblem that is as hard to find as those! Drilling is not rocket science, and with your machinist background I'm sure you're pretty handy with the drill! Just set it up with the suggested tape method and drill em!! No problem!! Geof

While looking for the 68 Barracuda emblems I always see a butt load of those emblems on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=commando+v8+emblem&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Just about every emblem and many moldings on newer cars are attached with double sided tape.

If things look thick and ugly it's because the installer didn't care about the outcome.

That is the way I see it. Even MaMopar started doing it on some of the early 70s cars.

Tape is an excellent option, you may need to level the back with epoxy and use a high quality tape (3M would be my choice) a sharp blade and be precise and you will get a nice result that can be easily and inexpensively fixed if you make a mistake. The hood and truck emblems on my 72 were two way taped from the factory so even back then it was done.

Problem I would see with trim/emblem tape is that these emblems are not flat on the back and don't have much surface area and pretty sure the emblem would end up going bye bye.

If someone was bound and determined to use tape, I'd clean out the back of the insignia and cut the tape to fit the inside. There are two problems with this. 1. Exposed edges would catch on car washes threatening to rip it off. Also, it would be a dirt and road grime depository. 2. Whether the insignia was flat in the back or not, tape would cause the insignia to sit farther away from the body than originally designed. It would not look quite right.

-
Back