Time for feedback on car for sale

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
I have had this listed for sale on here for a while now. I have not advertised it anywhere else or even put any signs on it. I am not a very aggressive seller. I would like to get honest (yes I expect negative) opinions so I know what to fix or do different when I get more serious about selling. Please give me feedback on things I should do to the car (complete underhood painting, change colors, gears etc.) or my approach on selling (better info or pictures, price is way off etc.) Brought it over here as I know comments aren't welcome in the for sale section. The way I see it if anybody was interested it would have sold by now. Now is time for me to work on what needs to be done to sell it. I have enjoyed the car a quarter of my life. Now for the next chapter.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=273077

Nothing is wrong with the car, Its just that the average person in this economy don't have $23K in disposable income to throw at a car that they wont typically drive everyday, a toy.

There is nothing wrong with the way it presents in my opinion. If I had that kind of money, that car would already be in my driveway but not going to happen with the way everything keeps going up in price except wages.

In my opinion, your price is not bad for what it is. You just have not found the right buyer.

I can understand that. I would have a tough time shelling out that much $ at one time myself. I did reduce it to $20K but that might still be too much for somebody all at once. I see cars sell for about 1/2 the price needing close to $20K to get to this shape but I guess that is easier over time. Heck that's what I did.

First thing I would do is get rid of the novel. That is just way too long of a read to keep peoples attention. Car looks good. 20k is all the money for an A body. That's a price for an original Formula S or Dart GTS. Everything is a hard sell right now. Mopars aren't selling like they were a few years ago, and the A bodies were always treated like a step child, even by E&B body owners. With all that, you need to advertise everywhere you can to maximize exposure. JMHFO.

First thing I would do is get rid of the novel. That is just way too long of a read to keep peoples attention. Car looks good. 20k is all the money for an A body. That's a price for an original Formula S or Dart GTS. Everything is a hard sell right now. Mopars aren't selling like they were a few years ago, and the A bodies were always treated like a step child, even by E&B body owners. With all that, you need to advertise everywhere you can to maximize exposure. JMHFO.

I appreciate the comments. Please keep them coming. Keep is short and sweet...check. If $20K is tops what would your opinion be of my cars value? I know you only have pictures and my wordy description to go by. What is the best place to advertise other than FABO? I hate to lose a ton on this car but I really need to start building something else and my wife's home improvement wishes seem to be winning on my savings these days.

I'd pull that motor, dump a 360 in it and
sell it for best price, then buy your dream car
and put that 416 in it.

Very nice car as is but the price is stiff in todays market.

I would look at painting under the hood to match the rest of the car if it was me.

I would look at painting under the hood to match the rest of the car if it was me.

I think I may do that. I have brought it to a couple car shows and it always bugs me when I open the hood and see the original faded Turbine Bronze on the inner fenders and from the pinch welds down.

You ask, so here is my thought

Pretty strong money for a car that isn't a correct car. A formula S 340 number matching in the correct color might bring that kind of money.

The money in the engine, well it isn't a new engine anymore. Many good parts but not worth what it cost to build. To a collector the stock numbers matching 340 would be worth more in the frame rails.

The tape stripe, leave it on or you will have a darker red/orange stripe down the middle, but again not a correct stripe so buyer would probably want it gone and the engine compartment, well needs to be the same as the exterior, not red and bronze, OR BLACK

Hole in seat, dash pad cracked, seats are easy, dash pad, mine cost $440 over 10 years ago to redo

So no matter how nice it is unless someone likes as well or better than you they are looking at the cost to make it right.

Not bashing your car, I like it and would be a great weekend cruiser. But for that kind of money thing I could come up with one needing less work. Not sure if a totally restored Formula S would bring that in today's market.

Good luck with the sale and hope you find the Duster of your dreams.

For maximum exposure, put it on Ebay and set your reserve at $20k. Only costs you any real money if it sells. Put your phone number in the ad. People will contact you. I'd list over on Moparts as well. I don't mind the long winded description. If I was spending that kind of money, I'd want to hear all about it.

For maximum exposure, put it on Ebay and set your reserve at $20k. Only costs you any real money if it sells. Put your phone number in the ad. People will contact you. I'd list over on Moparts as well. I don't mind the long winded description. If I was spending that kind of money, I'd want to hear all about it.

Ebay just makes me a bit nervous. I guess if I am careful with a reserve it might be worth a try. Any things to watch out for other than checks from Nigeria that need to be cashed for more than the car?

Yes...I sold a car and then the guy didn't pay. So I had the fees. SO I wrote to Ebay and complained. They allowed me to relist it and he was suspended. But the same guy changed his Ebay ID and did it to me again. In the end I had to pay a good bit and never got it resolved the second time. The same thing happened with a motorcycle. Ebay told me that we were both ebay members and they did not know who was up and up.

I do appreciate the feedback and don't consider this type of feedback "bashing" at all. I am looking for honesty and peoples actual opinions of the car. I opened the other thread in the general section so I could get feedback exactly like yours. Unfortunately, not sure if this feedback will stay here as comments don't seem to stay in the for sale section but I have read it and understand what you are saying.

I window shop everyday. Cars aren't selling that well right now. I've been watching some really good deals that are just sitting. I have a car for sale here, on craigslist and a for sale sign in the window. I've had two low ball offers. It's going to take time.

Painting under the hood would help but you won't get back your time and money doing it. It might just help to sell.

I bought a car on ebay a few months ago for an awesome price and the guy begged and pleaded with me to withdraw my bid so I did. That plus my wife not being pleased with me buying another car convinced me it was OK to withdraw from the sale. I just have a hard time trusting ebay.

The numbers match engine is gone and it is not the original color. From what I have seen as late you might get 18 from it but not 20 with the engine gone and red instead. I do love the car and would love to own it. That is just what I can offer from watching sales of these.

Painting under the hood would help but you won't get back your time and money doing it. It might just help to sell.[/QUOTE]

I am still going to look into it because even if I don't sell it I would like it better if it was painted.

I sold two cars on craigslist that we're local buyers. I had them advertised here but no bites. I would expand your viewing base and network where you can. Just a thought.

Ian

The numbers match engine is gone and it is not the original color. From what I have seen as late you might get 18 from it but not 20 with the engine gone and red instead. I do love the car and would love to own it. That is just what I can offer from watching sales of these.

I do appreciate that. I don't disagree from what I am seeing myself. I just have much more into it but you never get out what you put in. At least you don't lose as much as if you bought a new car.

Here is something similar and he states he has the original block and trans. This is one of the ones I have seen where I got the figure of 18,000.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Barracuda-Blown-1969-plymouth-barracuda-blown-/171367616006?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e64e4e06&item=171367616006&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]1969 Plymouth Barracuda Blown | eBay[/ame]

Here is something similar and he states he has the original block and trans. This is one of the ones I have seen where I got the figure of 18,000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Ba...7e64e4e06&item=171367616006&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

That one is very nice. I always wonder what they look like in person. I am confident anybody would be pleased when they saw mine. I seem to remember a member here with a very similar car to that one. Maybe that is it but I could have sworn it was from Florida. There was a magazine article on it. I seem to remember the brother terrorized the streets with it then something happened to cause it to be parked from 1978 to 2012.

$20k is too much.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice car. But its not #'s matching, it has an old paint job that isn't the original color and will need work to be "perfect", and it has a handful of minor interior issues. The 416 sounds awesome, and I know a lot of money went into it. But it's a 5 year old rebuild on a non-original engine- that's how a buyer will look at it. A rebuilt engine that's been run and was built by someone other than the buyer, or someone he knows, is worth half of what it cost to build.

The problem is your car falls in between what people are looking for. Its not a fully restored and "needs nothing" car. But its also not original. Its a really, really nice driver. If I were in the market its the kind of car I like to buy, because you CAN drive it and you CAN work on it because its not some 100% original, numbers matching, 1 of whatever car.

But the problem with that is the cars that bring the big money are 100% original, numbers matching 1 of whatever cars. Or going with the current market, a fully rebuilt/overbuilt pro-touring or resto-mod car. And really, even if you look at restored #'s cars etc, $20-$25k is the top of the market for an A-body unless you've got something REALLY rare with some backstory.

$20k will buy a lot of fully rebuilt A-bodies. Some of them really nice, some of them only looking that way. Heck $20k will even buy you some pretty decent E-bodies. But that puts your car below that mark. Realistically, I think that your ballpark is probably closer to $16k in the current market. And even at that price I don't think it would sell fast. Trust me, I feel your pain. If I had to sell any of my cars right now, I'd lose money. And even if I finished them, I'd lose money. They'd sell for more, but only because I spent a lot more.

I just bought a car off Ebay. I had been looking for some time for an A body. I found a nice mostly original car for my budget and after negotiating price and getting ready to go get it the seller welched and sold it to another person for $200 more.
I looked at your car too. It is nice, but not within my 18k window. Price was the sole factor for me.
I ended up with a real nice 72 Dart off EBay. Called the seller. Negotiated a price. PayPaled him a deposit. Done deal.
List of on Ebay.
mopars are for sale everywhere!

to me the ad is too long winded. i like to see what the car is and whats in it in list form not paragraph form. but hey that may just be me.

no where enough pictures.

damn good looking car. but for 23k i want the engine bay done too.

it would be worth more all original in my opinion. now you need to find someone who is into the way you built it.

like already stated. 23k is a ton of money these days for someone to have laying around to buy a toy. there also seems to be more to choose from then in the past.

all that said i wouldn't put a dime in to it. if anything i would drop the price some. not sure pulling the motor and painting under the hood would be worth the m,oney and time in the end.

$20k is too much.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice car. But its not #'s matching, it has an old paint job that isn't the original color and will need work to be "perfect", and it has a handful of minor interior issues. The 416 sounds awesome, and I know a lot of money went into it. But it's a 5 year old rebuild on a non-original engine- that's how a buyer will look at it. A rebuilt engine that's been run and was built by someone other than the buyer, or someone he knows, is worth half of what it cost to build.

The problem is your car falls in between what people are looking for. Its not a fully restored and "needs nothing" car. But its also not original. Its a really, really nice driver. If I were in the market its the kind of car I like to buy, because you CAN drive it and you CAN work on it because its not some 100% original, numbers matching, 1 of whatever car.

But the problem with that is the cars that bring the big money are 100% original, numbers matching 1 of whatever cars. Or going with the current market, a fully rebuilt/overbuilt pro-touring or resto-mod car. And really, even if you look at restored #'s cars etc, $20-$25k is the top of the market for an A-body unless you've got something REALLY rare with some backstory.

$20k will buy a lot of fully rebuilt A-bodies. Some of them really nice, some of them only looking that way. Heck $20k will even buy you some pretty decent E-bodies. But that puts your car below that mark. Realistically, I think that your ballpark is probably closer to $16k in the current market. And even at that price I don't think it would sell fast. Trust me, I feel your pain. If I had to sell any of my cars right now, I'd lose money. And even if I finished them, I'd lose money. They'd sell for more, but only because I spent a lot more.

No pain here....I don't have to sell but want to. If the car is only worth what it is worth I don't want to expect any more. From what I am hearing this car looks pretty good but not quite worth the $20K (makes sense as people are not beating on my door to buy it ;))It also sounds like putting a few more $ in it to help it sell would likely be a lost cause. I think I will stick some for sale signs in it and continue enjoying driving it to work on nice days and look at reducing my asking price a bit. Maybe a round on ebay with around a $20K reserve wouldn't hurt as long as I protect myself from scams.

-
Back