Time for feedback on car for sale

-
I just bought a car off Ebay. I had been looking for some time for an A body. I found a nice mostly original car for my budget and after negotiating price and getting ready to go get it the seller welched and sold it to another person for $200 more.
I looked at your car too. It is nice, but not within my 18k window. Price was the sole factor for me.
I ended up with a real nice 72 Dart off EBay. Called the seller. Negotiated a price. PayPaled him a deposit. Done deal.
List of on Ebay.
mopars are for sale everywhere!

Curious. Did you pay the $18K you had budgeted for the 72 Dart and if so would you have rathered buy the Dart or my car? If my car was $18K would you have bought it? Just looking for more honest feedback.

First- that's a very cool and very nice car.

...and now for reality-

There is an 11,000 mile original 68 340-s 11 second street legal drag car down here with full original interior.
Not cut and only a bolt in cage.

Could be put back stock or street race day two pretty easy.

Been on CL for over four months at 16K OBO.

IMO, yours would be worth more-

A- the original color- Turbine Bronze has been SUPER HOT for almost 10 years

B- all the same color, especially to Mopar guys.

C- I like the idea of dropping in a less expensive motor and dropping the price, plus you get to keep that high dollar motor you know like a lover. That would also facilitate paint matching.

For the past few years lots of nice cars have been moving in the 8-12K market.
Anything over that has to be nut and bolt, super, super, super nice, or a bit more rare and/or documented/original.

I'm actually kind puzzled about that 11,000 mile 11 second car.
16 is almost #3 money, and it's clearly a #2 car with potential to be 2+.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/collector-car/prices/1968-plymouth-barracuda-formula-s-value.html

additionally, I agree that a built motor is worth half or less the cost, but I disagree about the verbosity of the text. The more info the better, although I'd stick to the facts and leave the emotional stuff out. If you have the build specs and dyno sheet, that can get some of your engine build value back, if you leave it in.

Pull the motor, throw in the original parts, split the shipping, and I'll take it for 8.

I've been 1/2 looking for a 68 FB with either a v8 or a manual trans in 1- turquoise or 2- bronze, but my budget is for a solid, unmolested driver needing mechanicals or interior at 5K.

First- that's a very cool and very nice car.

...and nor for reality-

There is an 11,000 mile original 68 340-s 11 second street legal drag car down here with full original interior.

Could be put back stock or street race day two pretty easy.

Been on CL for over four months at 16K.

IMO, yours would be worth more-

A- the original color- Turbine Bronze has been SUPER HOT for almost 10 years

B- all the same color, especially to Mopar guys.

C- I like the idea of dropping in a less expensive motor and dropping the price, plus you get to keep that high dollar motor you know like a lover.

For the past few years lots of nice cars have been moving in the 8-12K market.
Anything over that has to be nut and bolt, super, super, super nice, or a bit more rare and/or documented/original.

I'm actually kind puzzled about that 11,000 mile 11 second car.
16 is almost #3 money, and it's clearly a #2 car with potential to be 2+.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/collector-car/prices/1968-plymouth-barracuda-formula-s-value.html

Wow....maybe I need to just drive/maintain this car for a while yet. I could pull the motor and refresh the 318 I currently have on a stand but in my opinion this car is a $15K car with a $5K motor now that I have a little time on the motor (easily less than 2K miles BTW). If I throw a quick rebuild at the 318 would I get anywhere clost to $16K? or should I just lower my $20K asking price.

I appreciate all the feedback. I am going to take it to a local shop I know to see what an underhood paint would cost. Then I may list it on Ebay as is. I might put it out on Craigslist at the same time and the Auto&RV free auto trader we have here in Michigan. I have also broused Autabuy myself and Hemmings. Maybe I will look at these as well. If things don't work out I may look at the 318 I have on the stand and decide if I want to keep the 416 and sell the car.

O.K. My 2 cents.. If it is a true "S" Barracuda,and the rebuilt engine is a low miler being a stroked 340/416 and clean/rust free.... Maybe to most people it is a little on the high side as far as pricing. But for someone in love with a 1968 Barracuda fastback and had to fork out the $ to build a stroker.. never mind getting a nice clean car.. It's worth very close to what you are asking for sure! Maybe drop price closer to $20k or just under.. Just my Opinion..

Thanks guys. I think I will put an OBO on the $20K I am asking and increase my advertising. I see my long winded original post hasn't let most see that post #4 I already said $20K a few weeks ago. I am going to see what it may cost to paint underhood as well.

I want to thank everybody for their input. You have given me some things to think about instead of sitting here wondering what I need to do.

...and then there's this-

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Barracuda-Blown-1969-Plymouth-Barracuda-Blown-/171367616006?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e64e4e06&item=171367616006&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]1969 Plymouth Barracuda Blown | eBay[/ame]

IIRC, that was a member's car here that was for sale forever.

'Cuda, nut and bolt, and blown, with numbers matching block.

20K BIN, OBO.

You'll never get your money back if you pay to professionally paint the engine bay (plus removal).
Get an estimate for the work, and lower your price by double that amount.

Please forgive the brutality. It's a character flaw, I suppose, but imagine if everyone were this brutally honest...

you'd probably get the same price with a nice detailed 318 in the car....and while you're at it, get the engine bay painted.

The stroker might scare a guy that just wants to drive it everywhere.

GLWS

Amen on you writin a damn book. I stopped half way through. People are lazy. Tell um what's there and let the pictures do the rest. Lose that stupid ridiculous lookin accordion top radiator hose and detail the engine bay. I don't know why people insist on usin those dumbass hoses on nice cars. Makes the whole engine bay look like ***. You knew better than that. lol and as the others pointed out, you can get a numbers car for your price. hint hint.

I think many will agree that most of the sellers aren't asking outrageous prices but one simple thing may be holding some people back. In my opinion if those cars were original 4 speed cars most of them would be gone by now. You're thoughts?

-
Back