Time to get started.

-
Nice
icon14.gif
Thank you PaostXX, This was a big ticket idem for me and I did some trading with 66aCUDA :thumrigh: that was a must do with my dual exhaust and four Offy Intake and carb.

Dang Mike. That head looks awsome. I am hopeing to get one by the end of the year, but I need to get the body done first. You are doing an awsome job on Victoria.
Thank you Hemipar :color: I sure hope everyone is as happy with it as I am :color:
No gasket match port on this head :thumrigh: I am going to port match it to my intake and exhoust that I am running :glasses2:
This will be a street port and polish to match my Offy and exhaust :thumrigh:
making for a smooth ride in and out of my 170/.
I thought about building a 225/ and put that head on it and drop it in Victoria, but with only 62.000 easy miles I am keeping the 170/, I will see as soon as I get the head off and make sure :color: all stock this little 170 is jumping good for a little 170 ci turning a solid 11.30 1/8 mile as she is now and getting me a hardy 24 to 26 MPG.
She hit two deferent scales at a whopping 2.700 with a spair tire, jack, 12pack cooler and ice and a few hand tools. These early A's are light or should I say feather light :color:
one step at a time and keeping her looking like an early A lady :color:

It is still setting were I had a nephew carry it in the house and on a chair, Creed will be here this Strongend to put it away for me :toothy3: Treva was not happy about the wall but she is happy for me and is over it :angel1:

Attachments

• Picture 222 121.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 508
Very nice Mike! Can't wait to hear what times you pull at George Ray's this year! Good move on isolating the ignition box with some rubber grommets. Just make sure it's grounded.

Very nice Mike! Can't wait to hear what times you pull at George Ray's this year! Good move on isolating the ignition box with some rubber grommets. Just make sure it's grounded.
I have a nice small grounding strap for it :thumrigh:, But you know me :color:
I had to take her out for a test drive and she loves the new Coil, plugs and ECU. ramcharger :color: That is on my todo list , I am glad you aprove of my set up and plate location, I will do some prep to the plate after I paint the engine bay :glasses2: That will happen while the head is off :thumrigh:

Well as some of you know I started hearing a small noise in my drivers side wheel.
Hopping it was something in my center cap or a part of my brake system came loose.
I have learned allot about these little 7 1/4 rear ends and found out the axle bearings are sealed.
The sun came out and I got started
Creed said to take it to a friends house up the road and have him pull the axles.
I can do that part on my own, so here I go.

I can see the seal on the drivers side where I herd the noise is leaking a touch.
This is all I will do today :happy10: She is on jack stands and in good safe shape with the car setting level with the front tires scotched on front and back, Safety first :happy10:
So as you can see a little at a time for me.
I backed her out just far enough to pull the axles
My new pair of bearing kits seals and everything will be here tomorrow or the next day.
Thank you NAPA.
Pictures of course to help me remember how to put the new brakes back on.

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 002.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Axle bearing change 006.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 458
  • Axle bearing change 005.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 469
This will help me get the job dun, No more hammer swinging for me :-D
This should remove the retainer and bearing.
A tool that was needed so this move on the rear end will go smoother and
easy. Yall have a great Strongend when it get's here :cheers:
I will be in Mo. for a pool tournament I qualified for.
Treva said to leave it alone until we get back so I will be in good shape
to shoot pool and not take any chances of moving wrong and getting hurt.
I still need to pick up some brake cleaner and parts cleaner :happy10:
I may as well clean everything up and paint parts as I put them back :happy10:

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 007.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 437
Mike good progress, cant wait to hear how it does with the new head...

It should be sweet

JOE

Mike good progress, cant wait to hear how it does with the new head...

It should be sweet

JOE
Thank you Joe, I am slow BUT stedy on all my up dates :happy7:
If it ever quit's raining I will get the new axles bearings and seals installed.
I have her in the air on jack stands waiting for me to get back to driving her and get me an 1/8 mile pass at George Rays drag strip :eek:ccasion:
Then compare the time's she run's :?:happy7:

The sun popped out and was dry out side so out I went :happy10:
I had plans to drive to my cousins house where I got my Ramcharger tomorrow and pick up a radiator for my ramcharger but that is not going to happen =; :shaking:
As you can see I was on the ground today and :pale: Well that's all I will say about that #-o

Looks like a new brake line and master cylinder will be going on along with all the new seals and axle bearing.

O-Well just one more step forward 8)

Nothing like getting things dun the shade tree way :neutral: But it had to be dun 8)

Over and out for today, I must be getting unyoung :compress::shaking2:

One side almost dun 8)

What's up with the blue paint on the axle ?? :read2:

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 049.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 405
  • Axle bearing change 048.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 419
  • Axle bearing change 047.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 395
  • Axle bearing change 046.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Axle bearing change 044.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Axle bearing change 042.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 427
  • Axle bearing change 043.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 425
Awesome thread. Now my brain hurts so I will keep reading certain parts over and over till I get it through my thick skull

Awesome thread. Now my brain hurts so I will keep reading certain parts over and over till I get it through my thick skull
I hear ya Cliff :grin: You should have been here when I had to rig up a way to pull that axle out :eek::eek: I had to use the peace of stainless stock you see in the picture and use the wheel puler and stick it threw the hole that you use to take the four bolts out that hold the axle in and man it took me for ever to figure it out, I thought that I was just plum dumb with all the tools I had how the hell do I get this axle out 8) I said Am I this dumb or what to my self a couple times :iconbigg:

Getting er done MeMike!:pirate:Even with all the cursing,we work on our cars,cause we love them so.:disgust:Hope you get Victoria all fixed up for spring.Have you checked or replaced u-joints yet?.Just asking with it being a manual shift.Good luck.:colors:

Looks like your doing the job slow and steady and the right way. Guess that's something we have learned as we get older. Good job Bud!

It seems like it's always something memike. My car has taught me alot in the last few months. Keep up the good work.
Thank you Noel :mrgreen: ain't thet the truth, I down loaded a manual a great member here put in abodyjoe thread for a 66 :colors: and I see allot of area's that will need serviced on these early A's :glasses8:

Getting er done MeMike!:pirate:Even with all the cursing,we work on our cars,cause we love them so.:disgust:Hope you get Victoria all fixed up for spring.Have you checked or replaced u-joints yet?.Just asking with it being a manual shift.Good luck.:colors:
It is on my to do list this spring I did grease them when I got her home and it's time to look at the u-joints for sure =D>

Looks like your doing the job slow and steady and the right way. Guess that's something we have learned as we get older. Good job Bud!
So true Stan, I take it one step at a time and try and stay smart the way I do things, I sure enjoy spending time working on her as much as I do driving her =D>

Well after I ordered the parts needed last week "NAPA", My wife drove in town and picked them up for me Saturday morning and got back home after 12 noon :-?
I took them out and sure as "H double hockey sticks" they was the wrong size.:thumbdow:
Axle seals and bearings was wrong :angryfir:so I did not get my axle back in on the sunny day we had Saturday disgust
But I drove in town today "Sunday" and O'Reilly Auto parts had them :toothy8:.
I made new gaskets and drove 2 miles to a friends shop and got them pressed on.
memike's is a happy camper :mrgreen:
Know all I need to do is wait for the rain to stop and put them back in tomorrow :glasses7:

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 068.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 455
  • Axle bearing change 067.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 452
  • Axle bearing change 059.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Axle bearing change 058.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 459
  • Axle bearing change 056.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Axle bearing change 055.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 458
  • Axle bearing change 054.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 487
The old bullet trick! I have everything from .22lr's up to a few .50 cal in my tool box. Gotta love free tools.

My friend said for me to bring Victoria "my 66 valiant" to his shop to do the other side and said why didn't I say something to him so he could help me get this dun :violent1: :D
I knew he was covered up with work and I wanted to do this on my own and he laughed and said I know how you feel Mike, but this would be fun and easier to do here at his shop and the Nova was dun :icon_smi: He changed the 4 speed out for a 5 speed for a customer.
I am blest to have a friend so close to home with a great shop and outstanding skills :headbang:
here is some picture's of his place just a 1/2 mile the way the crow flies

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 073.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 448
  • Axle bearing change 076.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 458
  • Axle bearing change 077.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 446
The old bullet trick! I have everything from .22lr's up to a few .50 cal in my tool box. Gotta love free tools.
All I had was a 40 caliber camd64, But it seems to do all I have had to so far.
An old farmer showed me that when he made seals for his farm equipment.
I seen my uncles do it before many moons ago :D

I just found and read the whole thread. I love the car. Keep it coming. Good luck.

I just found and read the whole thread. I love the car. Keep it coming. Good luck.
I sure will and thank you HTRTrash, It rained all day here :sad11:
But it looks like it will be moving out by Wednesday :D

memike go

icon_biggrin.gif

Here in germany rained tooooo
sad11.gif
sad11.gif
Thank you PapstXX, I am finely dun \\:D/, The rain is gone and This old fart went out there and put all the new seals and bearing in :sunny:
I have got to say setting on the ground and getting this dun has taken it's toile on me but it sure felt good to see her back on the ground this morning.
I replaced the brake line on the driver's side from the distribution block to the wheel cylinder and we are on the road!!!!

but strangely the pacific northwest was rather dry till about 9-or-so:rr:
It finally quite raining here yesterday and all the brakes and bearings are all dun :toothy5:\\:D/, I just need to have a brake line made and I will be back on the road CUDAGUY :wav: Well the line is in and I tightened every thing up.

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 084.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 413
Back on the road again. :cheers::cheers::cheers:
Time to clean things up and recover by having a cold bleeding bloody marry
It felt so good to drive her again and she past my test drive :burnout:
Rolls like a quite miniature derby car.

So glad I could get this dun by myself. :cheers:

I will be busy putting tools away and give this girl a bath, But me first :glasses8:

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 088.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Axle bearing change 091.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Axle bearing change 090.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Axle bearing change 092.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Axle bearing change 095.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 384
-