Timing Chains

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Are they all created equal? Putting together a 500hp ish 440. I had orginally went with a cheap gear drive. I installed today and didnt like it so it got chucked. I see them range from $40 on up. Wanna buy a good one that will work but not spend alot.

X2,follow above advice.Beats swapping in 10,000 miles,the 39.99 garbage.

I like the Summit billet rollers. Not too expensive, lots of keyways, decent quality.

Cloyes billet ...got what i paid for....cost just over 100 bucks...one year later chain broke while engine was idling....5 bent valves with a bunch of bent pushrods and 500 dollars later the heads were fixed...

made in american...priceless..

summit billet ...no problems...

Attachments

• Picture 720.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 381
  • Picture 721.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 386
Cloyes billet ...got what i paid for....cost just over 100 bucks...one year later chain broke while engine was idling....5 bent valves with a bunch of bent pushrods and 500 dollars later the heads were fixed...

made in american...priceless..

summit billet ...no problems...

Looks like Cloyes is off the list..........

I just bought a Cloyes for my 408 build?!? Lots of people here were saying they were good timing sets??? WTH???

I forget who the company is - but the best chains come from Australia IIRC. I don;t consider Summit (billet set only - not the regular ones) "the best", but it terms of value they are pretty good. Cloyes has a bunch of "levels" as Irecall. the best ones have been pretty good over the years too - just more pricey than the Summit.

The ones moper is talking about are Rollmaster. The chains are made in Germany and the last I had read was they were proprietary for Rollmaster only.

The ones moper is talking about are Rollmaster. The chains are made in Germany and the last I had read was they were proprietary for Rollmaster only.

Yup - that's them. But i thought they were Australia or New Zealand...

Yes, the gears are, but they use chain made in Germany. I've got a set for when i get around to doing the 440 for my Demon. Supposed to be top quality. Gonna find out. Also as a side note, the Cloyes I put in my Durango said made in USA on the box, must have been just the box, but the cam gear was in a plastic bag that said made in China or some other place of Asian decent. It was a double roller.

I just got 1 of the summit brands for my big block low buck motor nice looking set .. looks just like the set I got from cloyes for my small block that I paid 1++ for.. I am sure 1 of the big name companys make them for summit as with all the rest of the summit brand stuff...but who knows :banghead::banghead:

I've used Cloyes many times in GM engines and never had any problems. I put a gear drive in a friends T bucket with a SBC and it was one of the noisey ones which he wanted. It was noisey alright, so much so that I could feel the vibrations from it in the steering wheel. My thoughts were, if it makes that much of a racket, its probably transmitting vibrations into the valvetrain. I hated it, he was happy because of the noise.

Hate gear drives,Rather hear matched compression ,cam ,and valve job.

I bought a Comp Cams magnum series timing chain Comp Cams 2109. It seem to fit the budget and a brand with a good reputation.

Rollmaster (RomacUSA.com) are very good. There are 3 colors as I recall. The Blue, Silver and the Red. Blue/Silver have the IWIS (JWIS in some text) "German" chain, but the red has the "ROLON" chain that is Indian manufactured...this was in a post somewhere and I cant recall the details, (http://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...071-rollmaster-jwis-iwis-rolon-explained.html ) but this is the chain to buy. Cloyes, not so much. As everything else, it has gone offshore for many apps. Might get an old USA one but you'll have to confirm.

-
Back