Timing lights

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Got some great feedback on the soldering iron thread. Im in the market for a timing light. I have 20* on each side of the timing tab i need to be at about 36 BTDC. Is this where an advancing timing light helps?

Yes, but "from a previous life" I simply don't trust them generally. Once again garage sales, Craigslist comes to play. I've actually got about 3 lights, which I haven't paid over 10 bucks each for.

The thing is, you can buy the proper sized timing tape, or just measure around the damper carefully, "figure" how many degrees per inch that works out, and then just mark the dampener

This is easily done with a small square and a sharp awl, or a hard sheet rock/ sheet metal screw pressed into service. Scribe marks over and over until you get them deep, and then if you want, mark the 10 degree points deeper, carfully, with a triangular file.

I did my old 340 to 2* but I've only done the 318 to "every five" and find that plenty accurate enough. You can estimate in between the fives which gives you every 2 1/2

If the stock damper is 7.5 inches...

the 7.5 x 3.14159 = 23.561925 circumference divided by 360 degrees = 0.0654497917 inches per degree....

so if you want 36 degrees...36 x 0.0654497917 = 2.3561925 inches on the damper......

and I thought my mom called be son cause I was so bright...lol

I see tony so if i were to measure from the groove and go 2 5/16 i should be within a half degree of my target. In theory

yes...if you balancer is 7 1/2 inches...or are the 7 1/4...dont remember.....

Dampeners are 7&1/4 so (1) degree around the circumference is 0.0632683". Measure it out with calipers or a micrometer on a strip of paper & use it to make new marks on the dampener & I'd suggest checking/finding exact TDC first. 35.5 degrees would be 2&1/4" (2.246"). I make new marks using white paint at 10-15-20-35.5 which is plenty & you can gauge with the light when you're halfway between 10 & 15 for instance. Dialbacks are alot of fun to play with but I dont trust their accuracy & reportedly alot of non dialbacks ain't accurate either according to independant studies & reports from many users with more than 1 light at their disposal

Hillbilly timing tape it and no need for any fancy dial back lights or gonna be gone soon timing tapes.

Two marks, 15 and 30 is all you should need.

I still like at least 5* clear out to 55 (vacuum advance)

It is important also, NOT to use calipers or dividers, etc, to measure on the balancer. You MUST use, as previously suggested, a tape or cut piece of paper to follow the curve of the balancer.

The way I like to do them is measure out 40*, and mark the balancer. Then use dividers to cut that in half, which of course is 20, and you can check your new 20 mark from TDC, and the 40 mark, so, checking your measurement. Then mark the same setting from 40 with your 20 to give you 60.

Then divide 20 in half, and check that two directions as before, so now you have every 10 out to 60

Last, if you want, divide down to 5, etc.

I also START with a piston stop so's I know that TDC is actually accurate.

"Back then" I used to find a fair amount of Ferd 352/ 390s which had slipped.

This jus' ain't that hard. Maybe an hour "on the engine" less if the balancer is off. On some cars I used to lay underneath, easier

Everytime you play with the timing, doing this once saves you time afterwards.

He's not running vac adv that I know of. With marks at 15 and 30, you can get a range up to around 40* BTDC which is good for most any engine sans vac adv.

I used a snap on timing light with a dial and the owner of it said he don'r trust the reading from the dial but it will get me close :glasses7:
I think he said it was 15 years old but it did the job for me, I may test it again with another timing light.

Enjoying my new J.D. 0000.1 recurved distributor that Johnny Dart build for me :cheers:

Attachments

• RECURVE Slant six J.D. 020.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 191
I like those old chrome craftsman lights. The ones with the gold letters on the back.

I dont like adjustable time back lights. I prefer a tach with alligator clips for a quick hookup under the hood, more uses with that. And the cheap sams timing mark mod on the balancer with a sharpie or paint stick. YOu know, Set it at TDC and roll the motor however many degrees you want and mark at the pointer, then roll again and mark at the pointer, and on and on. Just make sure your going in the correct direction (Against engine rotation for BTDC).

I don't trust timing lights, I just pull the #1 wire & hold it then blink my eyes :happy2:while looking at the balancer.:tard: ..What??

I don't trust timing lights,

1--Have your girlfriend hold a pan of water in her lap

2--Tie a cord around the distributor "Mr. Bean" style

3--Make some runs, adjusting the cord and watching the water. If she gets too wet, you've hit the ((((timing)))) sweet spot, LOL

mr-bean+car.jpg

Disclaimer: Please, lady members, I'm KIDDING, I would never do this.

-
Back