Timing marks.

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Timing was always a mystery to me before I started researching it, I pretty much a good grasp on it now ( cam specs on the other hand are still not second nature ). Back to the point, er, pointers (ha ha). I have on my 360la's stock timing cover degrees for timing, I also have timing degrees on my Summit balancer. Which one should I use for TDC, the balancer or the timing cover? I did check for true TDC with a micrometer using number one and spinning clockwise and reverse, I then marked it in paint on the balancer, so I know the true TDC, it's 3 degrees advanced compared to the marks that are etched on the Summit balancer. Any questions, I'm not sure I'm asking the right question here. Thanks.

use your TDC numbers and the timing tab as a reference. The marks on the balancer would ad to the confusion. Did you use a piston stop and bisect the 2 marks you saw the pistons stop at? Thats best.

Not a piston stop, tried and tried to find one but would have had to order and wait. I used a dial indicator and did bisect, so I'm confident it's accurate at least to a half degree.
So my mark and the cast in tab on the timing chain cover?

Then just go ahead and set the timing as you normally would, but know there is already 3 in it.

So if you want your inital timing at 13 degrees you would set it at 10 on your balancer.

In contrast, if you check the timing and it's 10 at the balancer you know it is actually 13

Hope I understood your question correctly.

Right, I understand, but back to original question, factory they don't have degree on the balancer, it's on the motor, now I have marks on the motor and on the balancer, which one to read?

No, you don't have a grasp on it, or you would not be asking this question.

Use the zero mark on the timing cover as zero. Self explanatory. Then, adjust the timing lining up the marks on the balancer with the zero mark on the timing cover. Again, self explanatory.

In other words, With the engine at idle, disconnect the vacuum hose at the distributor and block it off.

With your timing light, point it at the timing cover where the zero mark is and see what numbers on the balancer line up with the zero on the timing cover. This will be your initial timing setting.

Right, I understand, but back to original question, factory they don't have degree on the balancer, it's on the motor, now I have marks on the motor and on the balancer, which one to read?

I would check for true TDC using the numbers on the balancer, and remark your TDC reference on the timing cover. Once you have your correct TDC mark, THEN you can use the numbers on the balancer.......which I'm sure are degreed out to 40-50 degrees? Those would be much more desirable than the old marks on the timing cover.

In other words "factory" had just TDC on the balancer, but the timing cover was only marked out to + / - 10 degrees.

Now, with the degreed balancer, you should have marks on it clear out to 40-50, but (if it was accurate) you would use ONLY the TDC mark on the timing cover.

Once you get "correct" TDC you can also check the timing cover against the balancer.

If you set the balancer numbers to 10BTC against the timing cover TDC, then the balancer TDC should batch up with the timing cover 10BTC mark

Read the above sentence until you understand. This of course is "assuming" the old original numbers are correct.

See, another good reason to check everything upon assembly. Just because the manufacture calls it, doesn't make it right. I use the "0" mark on the cover. Ignore what is on the balancer. Set the crank at true tdc, use timing tape on the balancer.

On another brand of motor I use that in reverse. I set the actual tdc with the balancer/crank and move the pointer on the cover to line up with the zero on the balancer.

You "have" to use a piston stop and a degree wheel or dial indicator to be accurate.

Checking and degreeing the balancer especially an aftermarket one is critical. I degree every balancer on every engine I do. I had a customer come in with a new summit balancer installed and couldn't time his engine. Long story short the balancer was off over 90 degrees. Moral to this story... always make sure where you are and assume nothing.

I removed all the extra numbers on the timing chain cover to eliminate any confusion! Leave "0" and sand off the rest. Problem solved...read the damper as related to the "0" mark on the TC cover. As stated, make sure TDC is true TDC! Using a paint pen also helps set timing, and end the confusion of "finding" the numbers! I mark 34 degrees on the damper and adjust from there. No vacuum advance used here, just mechanical/centrifugal. Adjust timing with the engine at approximately 2500 RPM. It a Mopar...It will run like...well you fill in the blank!

Salute our military! They give us the freedom to "play"

Attachments

• rob's I phone 051.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 212
  • rob's I phone 164.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 155
-
Back