Tint removal?

-

73Scamp318

Reaction score
Any one have suggestions for removing window tint? One of the previous owners covered everything rear of the windshield in two layers of purplish-blue tint that's separating from the windows and, IMHO, it looks terrible.

I've done it before on another car with a razor blade for the tint and scrubbing for the adhesive, is there an easier way?

There is a product marketed for aircraft in spray cans called decal and adhesive remover. It will make a gooey mess to remove with a plastic squeegee. It will cut paint if left long enough so void over spray.
Body shop supply should have it.

Any one have suggestions for removing window tint? One of the previous owners covered everything rear of the windshield in two layers of purplish-blue tint that's separating from the windows and, IMHO, it looks terrible.

I've done it before on another car with a razor blade for the tint and scrubbing for the adhesive, is there an easier way?

Wall paper removal! Or a whole lot of razor blades, use with a handle and a carpet cutter razor blade, (covers more area)... good luck!

:) :) :) :) have fun, use razor blades Than remove the glue with Rapid Remover a citrus based glue remover which is used to remove vinyl, mylar etc... A sign supplier will carry it

FYI razor blades can scratch glass if you're not careful, ask me how I know:angry7:

I messed up the factory defrost elements on my Royal Monaco taking off the crappy tint.

I have always had good luck with one edged razor blades and WD-40. the WD keeps the glue from re-sticking . Try it . I think its the easiest way .

Along the same lines of the previous mentioned adhesive remover, I've used some 3M stuff that was just called adhesive and wax remover that I was really impressed with. I think you could probably find it at any hardware store. Like was said, it basically just turns the adhesive into a gooey mess that you can scrap / wipe off.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can find for adhesive remover in the area and I have access to a heat gun. The side windows shouldn't be too bad, they're currently out of the car.

I know I sound like a broke record "but I work at a auto glass shop" and have been down this road before.. lol

Razor blades will not scratch the glass if you a) keep the glass wet with glass cleaner at all times where you are scraping with the razor b) always use a fresh razor blade .... check the razor blade with your eyes.... if you see it has a nick in the edge discard it. c) and make sure you keep the razor at a angle... not to steep and "catch" glass.

Any of the glue is usually dissolved by using urethane cleaner (stuff we use anyway). Just take your time and try to get the glass in a warm environment for a while before you start. The warmer the better.... trust me on this one. Good luck!

x2 on the amonia stuff. I pulled some off a few cars and was left with tones of glue, the amonia window cleaner took it off real good.

Start with a heat gun warm the tint and start pealing. To much heat will melt the film, not enough will leave glue behind.

For the remaining glue, spray straight ammonia on it using a spray bottle, windex will work in a pinch but straight ammonia is better, Use a razor to scape the window clean. Watch your fingers.

If you have a steamer, you can go relatively slowly and take off the tint without leaving any adhesive behind.

-
Back