Tips on pulling my motor?

-
I did as most are describing above. I pulled everything loose that I could get out the night before. Disconnected the trans, unbolted the headers, pulled the fan, alt and radiator. I also took off the intake and pulled the distributor, just because I was on a roll! Like was mentioned above, bag and tag everything and take lots of pictures.

My buddy came over the next day with a hoist and leveler, and we had the engine out in about 30 minutes!

Yes, I forgot to mention to pull the distributor.

I like to keep the intake manifold on to keep stuff (nuts/bolts/etc) from falling into the engine. And stuff a shop rag in the distributor hole for the same reason. And tape over the carb flange....

Lots of pictures and bag and tag are a good idea... How did that go back together again????

Congrats on getting yours pulled!

I've removed the engine and trans from the top and had remove all accessories and still had clerance problems with the radiator support.
I will remove via the bottom from now on.
Here you can see the bars that I bolted to the bumper bar mounts, this gave me extra height.

Unbolt the trans, all linkages (of course) and remove in two pieces... the trans/engine combo will be much more of a pain to handle.

This is the route I went...piece of cake! :)

This is how I did it too. After unbolting everything, there were still 4 block to bellhousing bolts up top that I couldn't get to with the tools I had. So I took the 4 transmission cross member bolts off, put jackstands under the bellhousing and tailshaft and then hooked the picker up to the engine and just yanked the engine/transmission forward an inch. That gave me all the room I needed to get those last 4 bolts out and after that the engine came out with zero hassle.

Wow, these are all good tips. I will be pulling my engine as well this spring, but I don't need the tranny out. Is it easier to pull them both as a unit? I have another engine going back in, but I'm using the same tranny.

Lots of pictures and bag and tag are a good idea... How did that go back together again????

Congrats on getting yours pulled!

Lol Not much progress has been made since the engine was pulled and sold. The 408 is still sitting at the machine shop waiting for funding. I was gonna work on painting and detailing the engine compartment, but it has been too cold in the garage to even mess with it. Maybe when Spring gets here...

-
Back