TNT'ers think they are racers

-
But he is talking about setting some rules weight, engine size, etc and then run heads up. When you have limitations costs can be controlled somewhat and the best tuner and driver usually win.

We do have one class at a local track, Small block, nitrous and 28in. tire. Mostly Mustangs with small block Chevy motors. There are a couple with ford power. One of my friends has a small block chevy powered Mustang that has the (Belt) at the moment. He runs 5.0's. 440 ci. small block Chevy with around 500 shot NOS.

yep. even a small cube gen3 hemi i could get into the mid 5s pretty easily with out a power adder or billet heads etc... heads up and low cost can not be the same. when it comez to rules and racers who are competitive. they see grey areas and work them like pimp works his corner waitresses.

Many times a TNT night actually becomes "Heads UP", when a group of local guys get together, to race each other. -- Like all of the others, just having fun. --
icon7.gif
--

Exactly, so just progress that on to meets but with some rules and off you guys go......proper Heads up racing.....something like this perhaps as a guide>>

N/A.....Max of 515ci. ...minimum weight 3200lbs...no billet heads, no dry sumps, max cam lift .750” at the valve, 1 x 4500 series carb allowed.

Nitrous Oxide.....Minimum weight 3400lbs??...max of 461ci, same motor type as for N/A, except max lift of .600” at the valve.
1 x 4150 series Carb. 1 x N20, 1 x Petrol solenoid only, max orifice N20 size .100”. 1 x 5lb n20 bottle allowed.

or something along those lines?......would it work?, don't think you need to spend fortunes to get one of these running would you.

I still think that expensive....
I'm thinking of a minimum weight - equal hp/torque small block (mopar, ford, chevy) crate motor?
I almost want to say some kind of tamper proof long block....
l know it's full of loop holes, but I think power adders always make things expensive.

We do have lots of classes like this, mostly radial tire classes, ultra, x275, etc, etc, and they are pretty costly to be competitive in but there could be more restrictive rules to bring the costs down.

I still think that expensive....
I'm thinking of a minimum weight - equal hp/torque small block (mopar, ford, chevy) crate motor?
I almost want to say some kind of tamper proof long block....
l know it's full of loop holes, but I think power adders always make things expensive.

Well when I ran my stock 340 the best I could run was 12.4 n/a, for the cost of an NOS cheater plate kit and an extra blue race pump and lines I managed an 11.01 and would've cut a 10 if I did more than just that 1 run....move ahead 2yrs and my '69 Cuda 440 ran a best of 10.7 n/a, added a used Big Shot kit and went 9.96 which was my goal with that car before retiring.....neither of those times are anything to get excited about, but I would never have done those times so cheaply with either car, or at all n/a I doubt, ....I guess in HU racing where you have n20 or other power adders without any rules cars get real fast and it can get real expensive to stay with the front runners, so you introduce some rules similar to those I mentioned earlier but perhaps thats still a tad expensive?...so cut it down with even more restrictions for slower 11>10.00 sec cars, or 12>11, it can be done, just change some numbers, I see no need for only bracket racing to keep costs down, we all started TNT'ing for PB's which is the right format, it should and could stay that way, its whether the powers that be would listen to such classes being put forward and run them, perhaps its worth someone trying?.....here it just wouldn't happen, we are just dead set on brkts, its entrenched, and we think T-Stops are still neat....:sleepy2:

Only one of my local tracks out of 7 that I race at has any scales and no way to determine if anybody was cheating on the rest of the rules. They can look at the tires, look at what power adder you are running and if it is big block or small block and that is it.

Well when I ran my stock 340 the best I could run was 12.4 n/a, for the cost of an NOS cheater plate kit and an extra blue race pump and lines I managed an 11.01 and would've cut a 10 if I did more than just that 1 run....move ahead 2yrs and my '69 Cuda 440 ran a best of 10.7 n/a, added a used Big Shot kit and went 9.96 which was my goal with that car before retiring.....neither of those times are anything to get excited about, but I would never have done those times so cheaply with either car, or at all n/a I doubt, ....I guess in HU racing where you have n20 or other power adders without any rules cars get real fast and it can get real expensive to stay with the front runners, so you introduce some rules similar to those I mentioned earlier but perhaps thats still a tad expensive?...so cut it down with even more restrictions for slower 11>10.00 sec cars, or 12>11, it can be done, just change some numbers, I see no need for only bracket racing to keep costs down, we all started TNT'ing for PB's which is the right format, it should and could stay that way, its whether the powers that be would listen to such classes being put forward and run them, perhaps its worth someone trying?.....here it just wouldn't happen, we are just dead set on brkts, its entrenched, and we think T-Stops are still neat....:sleepy2:
been 11.02 with a stock 5.0 fox body. never opened the engine up beside replacing a blown head gasket. i know of a few running mid 10s with a stock heads and short block 5.0 as well. i am afraid it gets expensive even if you keep the stuff stock only. now a days i could go 8s with stock heads and block and crank with the right chassis and trans n/a. however high rpm n/a engines are very unreliable at those power levels but to be competitive and dominate it will just be a guy who figures a way to do it and swap engines between rounds. it is just money and time to win. that is the spirit of headsup you can not ever legislate out of it. that is money others cant compete with at that level. that is why heads up classes run away et and cost wise if your trying to be a front runner.

now with my power adder i can run 7s with a stock block and heads and my engine last for several years without as much working at the track. that is not easy to be broke and run any kind of heads up and be competitive. it just does not go together.

with rules you get what you can NOT run but never anything with what you can run because it would kill car count. no cars no class to run.

grey area of the rules is fair use by most hu racers.

I haven't been over to this section in a while and I come back to see a post like this. That is the attitude that turns young racers away from the sport. Don't complain when tracks start closing.

I haven't been over to this section in a while and I come back to see a post like this. That is the attitude that turns young racers away from the sport. Don't complain when tracks start closing.

exactly. younger just dont have the thicker skin and nerves they did back in the day. fragile egos and little motivation or funding to accomplish more than just watch. racing is not cheap for anyone. bad mouthing any and all who participate by gate fees alone is worthy my time to be polite. why is that you might ask? because even the idiot wants to not be one and belong to this thing. invite and welcome with open arms. educated and legislate proper lingo and roll placement for all. as we have to have the watchers just as much as the clock stoppers.

I understand that this thread was started to vent about guys doing test and tune not showing respect to the guys doing bracket racing.I understand where your coming from with that.Sometimes respect isn't always given even when you feel its owed.Sometimes you have to earn it even though you feel it shouldn't have to be earned.I just finished my car a year ago and was able to do both.Test and Tune is where I had the most fun I ran all out as many times as I could.I raced the car at Bandimere during the Mega Mopar show last summer.I was inexperienced and very nervous.I struggled during my two practice runs and didn't know I was suppose to put my time on my windshield so I told them what I thought the car would run and I broke out. One and done kinda sucked.One of our tracks just closed.Pueblo Motorsports Park.I am really bummed cause they did road racing and Drag racing.A lot of the younger generation there.Sure it wasn't the greatest track but it was close and affordable.They did Friday night drag racing in the summer That was a blast.How many kids or young adults do you see running classic cars anymore?Not very many.

The young people are running "rice burners" can't stand when they're at test and tune,every other one is snapping an axle getting fluid all over the starting line..love the nostalgia events NO "rice burners" allowed:D:D

The young people are running "rice burners" can't stand when they're at test and tune,every other one is snapping an axle getting fluid all over the starting line..love the nostalgia events NO "rice burners" allowed:D:D

I'm not sure what things are like at your track but they isn't the case here. Test and tune is usually 90% v8 cars. There are some young guns that are into ricers but there are more now that are into v8 cars. We have a heads up race twice a month in Cincinnati. The stands are absolutely packed. The VERY large majority are under the age of thirty and it is like that every single time. You sit in line for thirty minute to get into the gates. The import scene is dying thanks to these new cars rolling off the showroom floor with 400 hp in a base v8 model.

With that being said there are plenty of disrespectful kids and inexperienced kids that annoy a lot of guys hay have been doing it a long time but at one time I'm sure a lot of guys on this forum were those kids. Hell there are more than enough older guys that are complete assholes and expect every racer to kiss their ***.

Like I said before. Those annoying ricers and test and tuners are paying to race just like you and they are bringing a handful of friends and blowing probably fifty bucks on food at the track combined. Be happy our hobby has a future!!

-
Back