To do or not to do..

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I would make a poll but I don't have access. I am coming up to a cross road in life, so I need to decide on what to do. Do I stop working on my car and buy something for a daily driver.. Or do I finish what I started and poor everything I can get into my car, which still will not finish the car?

I am getting ready to move away from home to college and I do not have a dependable car, I move away in the fall of 2012. If I get a newer car, what should I get. I am looking at a price range of about 8,000-9,000 and newer than a 2000. I would like either a truck, suv or a "sporty" car, but not to much of a ricer. I was looking into a 2002 audi tt at 13,000 but I am not sure if I want to spend the next few years paying for that and the insurance. I would love to finish my duster, but that is going to take quite a while, college is the priority.

Thanks for all of your time and input, Jared.

If you buy an Audi you will spend more repairing that car than you will spend on your college education. German engineering is not what it once was. I did import parts and repair for many years and used to love the Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagens, Then the 2000's came around and you couldn't give me any of them. Ricer or not, Camry, Corolla, Accord and Civic are extremely reliable cars with little upkeep and repairs. All are good choices. That said, if you sell your toy now, you may never get one back. College, family life, work, etc.. all take it's toll on money and time. I say keep what you have and enjoy it and buy some little Saturn POS to daily drive. You have a Duster, a great piece of Americana. Hang on to it, you'll always be glad you did.

X2 with Mopar to ya. My DD is an 01 Civic, 140,000 miles, not a drop of leakage; 32mpg,etc. Hondas are dead reliable, and everywhere. But there's only so much vintage iron left- and if you rhink they're expensive now just wait 10 years.

Question? ? How often do you expect to drive back and forth and how far is it
What mpg do you expect to get from your project car ?
I understand the monthly plus taxes and insurance on a new car is costly. In many cases the up keep on a used car will absorb the difference if not more during the finance period.
The very best buy today is a new Dodge Caliber. From what I've seen so far the very best buy in October of 2012 will be The 2012 Toyota Camry.
Any new car will need tires, battery, wiper blades, etc.. before its paid for.
Then consider this... If your project car is new from top to bottom it will need the same parts before you finish school.
There probably is a balance of overall cost to ride versus a comfortable and dependable ride but I've never found it. I do beleive the New Caliber at somewhere between 12 and 13 K is close to a balancing act during a 5 year period.
Please know that I dont drive one. I forfeit all the comfort, dependable, and outward appearance, in a 91 Geo Prism.

I would make a poll but I don't have access. I am coming up to a cross road in life, so I need to decide on what to do. Do I stop working on my car and buy something for a daily driver.. Or do I finish what I started and poor everything I can get into my car, which still will not finish the car?

I am getting ready to move away from home to college and I do not have a dependable car, I move away in the fall of 2012. If I get a newer car, what should I get. I am looking at a price range of about 8,000-9,000 and newer than a 2000. I would like either a truck, suv or a "sporty" car, but not to much of a ricer. I was looking into a 2002 audi tt at 13,000 but I am not sure if I want to spend the next few years paying for that and the insurance. I would love to finish my duster, but that is going to take quite a while, college is the priority.

Thanks for all of your time and input, Jared.

at 42 years old i see things a lot different then i did at your age. here is my advise... take it, don't take it whatever. in this day and age your too young to be playing with these money pits. you have 8-9k to spend. your nuts if you put that into a duster for a daily college driver. get a daily driver for daily driving. don't worry about it being "cool" or sporty or any of that crap. use it to get from point A to point B. thats all it is and all you should want from it. i would be looking for a used corolla,camry,civic,accord or something similar. get something that is very good on gas and reliable. you need the car to get you where you need to get. use the duster as a toy. i think you'll be a lot happier down the road.

If you are living at school do you even need a car? Gas, insurance and parking all add up.

I don't know what car to get for a daily driver for you, though I would look close and hard before you do leap into a car. Leave the Muscle car at home. The project can wait.
A dependable car is a must, first and foremost item to have.

at 42 years old i see things a lot different then i did at your age. here is my advise... take it, don't take it whatever. in this day and age your too young to be playing with these money pits. you have 8-9k to spend. your nuts if you put that into a duster for a daily college driver. get a daily driver for daily driver. don't worry about it being "cool" or sporty or any of that crap. use it to get from point A to point B. thats all it is and all you should want from it. i would be looking for a used corolla,camry,civic,accord or something similar. get something that is very good on gas and reliable. you need the car to get you where you need to get. use the duster as a toy. i think you'll be a lot happier down the road.

That's the best advice for you Jared, i agree 100% with Joe.
One thing you need to realize here is that when a lot of us were your age, these a bodies were just good used cars that were 10 years old or so, and we daily drove them everywhere.....rain, snow, winter....whenever.
I could not afford at your age to have a money pit project car and a daily driver as well.
Times have changed or have they?
Not really.
P.S, i still want the '57 Chevy that i couldn't afford to buy and build when i was your age, so you can still have the car you want later on in life!
There will be lots available in another 10 to 20 years, just the prices may have changed.

I bought a 84 Nissan extra cab pickup for 1,700 (350 thousand miles ago) and it still runs.
Coming up on 500,000 miles and still gets 28 miles to the gallon and does not use any oil.
My 21 year old son drives it to work now, so I totally agree with the others here.

Insurance is cheap, gas milage is good, and you can haul stuff around if needed.
The extra cab is great for locking stuff up inside.

I learned a long time ago..... The best tool for finishing a car project is a nice reliable daily driver.

But I wouldn't get an Audi.

If you want a little 2 seater you are way better off getting a used Miata.

For a small truck or SUV, Toyota is hard to beat and you can get some good ones for well under your budget. For example, we are selling our extremely nice and reliable 93 4Runner for $4,000.

For a car, Honda and Toyota will get you down the road for years to come. Mazda and Nissan are also options.

I'm with D_D. A v6 Dakota is hard to beat for a good middle ground between reliability, economy, versatility and comfort. You could get a nice 04 or older one for under 5K and keep the project at home while you finish school.

how far away? is a bus an option? save the coin for paying college off rather then going into a deeper debt. Could come out further ahead after college.

greyhound or car pooling an option?

I'm with D_D. A v6 Dakota is hard to beat for a good middle ground between reliability, economy, versatility and comfort. You could get a nice 04 or older one for under 5K and keep the project at home while you finish school.
well i gave the years i have had or have as i know there good trucks but as for the other years i have seen some good trucks of friends :blob:

Neon's in my area are totally junk. When I buy crusher cars every Neon I get automatically go to the crusher pile along with every Intrepid that has a 2.7L engine in it. Research any car on the internet before you buy it to see what the good and bad is being told by owners. If you see a car that many people have had the same issue with then that tells you a lot.

at 42 years old i see things a lot different then i did at your age. here is my advise... take it, don't take it whatever. in this day and age your too young to be playing with these money pits. you have 8-9k to spend. your nuts if you put that into a duster for a daily college driver. get a daily driver for daily driving. don't worry about it being "cool" or sporty or any of that crap. use it to get from point A to point B. thats all it is and all you should want from it. i would be looking for a used corolla,camry,civic,accord or something similar. get something that is very good on gas and reliable. you need the car to get you where you need to get. use the duster as a toy. i think you'll be a lot happier down the road.

Bingo!

I have an 01 Dakota and an 04 neon rt. Both are great vehicles and have been reliable. I have owned the dak since I was a teenager so I haven't always been easy on it. It has 136k on it and I have had no issues with it that I didn't cause. I will own that truck until I die!
Right1.jpg

Truck.jpg

well i gave the years i have had or have as i know there good trucks but as for the other years i have seen some good trucks of friends :blob:

Ive only owned a gen3 but I've heard good things about all of em up to 05 when they developed a weight problem.

Ive only owned a gen3 but I've heard good things about all of em up to 05 when they developed a weight problem.
lmao they got fat lol ya mine has 244ooo ish on it the trans went out when it got t boned i geuss it got hit to hard but its been relible for 10 years now after the crash we didnt own it when it got hit btw its beat all to hell but its drives like new ... i would not take 2000 buck for it ...... i never have to worri bout it not running or making it to where i need to go... as for the neons we have one of them to there not bad cars ...... just dont get a high mile car ares has like 165 000 and lost head so ya its was relible tell that point but no i will not put a haed on the thing

+1 for Abody Joe's response.

I was in a similar situation when I went off to college. Here is what I learned.

You can spend half of your $8k - $9k on a car that will get you from A-B, something like a late 90's 2wd Tacoma would be reliable and you have truck verstatily. Don't be too concerned with having a cool car in college. Chicks don't care at this stage. It's all about charisma. When you get to college, you will not spend a lot of time driving. The last thing you want to worry about are car troubles. You will need to worry about mid-terms, finals and group projects. Bringing up a car that you have to work on will only get in the way with school and partying...and many students I knew had a hard time just managing school and partying.

Sell what you have now. Put as much money away to your "car" fund. When you graduate, you can always pick up another A-body. Between now and the 4-5 years you will be in college, I do not foresee A-bodies going up that much in value (maybe 10 years or so...).

I strongly recommend that you reconsider your decision to purchase a truck. Your newfound friends will ask you to move...more than once. Trust me, I found out the hard way. A Civic would be ideal. Something to go grocery shopping in and get around town only if you need to.

Good luck. Don't drink and drive. Party responsibly.

From a CSU Chico grad.

We have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that has 102k on it right now and so far no major issues.....just wear items.

Also had a 98 Malibu that we retired when it had 110k or so....never any issues....just wanted something new at the time.

Both 4 bangers.

I would recommend either.

Or, if you dont mind riding in the rain and cold, get a motorcycle.

I get 30+ mpg on mine and commute every day except when there is actually snow on the road surface. Have ridden when it was in the single digits. Heated clothing is wondeful.

Bought the bike new and had it paid off in a few years just in the savings in gas mileage and free parking. Honda VTX1300. LOVE it. Cheap insurance and the only thing that I have into it really aside from tires and oil would be front wheel bearings and other wear out items...plus lots of chrome...LOL

If there is a way to store the car cheaply til you have time for it you should IMHO. You can tinker and play with it when you can without making it "a money pit" like someone said. College is stressful and if you are doing it right you will not have loads of free time, but you will have some. Plus college is only 4-8 years......

College will pass and you will become a work-aday stiff.....longing for a hobby. Once you graduate and establish yourself you can get back into the car big time.

Lost of people I know had the cars they wanted and then got rid of them but "will get another"......and that turns in to decades later....you'll pay way more for the same car 10 years from now.

-
Back