To Rally or not to Rally

• yes convert a dart to Rally dash

Votes: 74 58.7%
  • No, leave the original dash the way it is

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Rally... and put some dog dishes on the steel wheels with those redline tires.... Once you lose the column shifter, it'll really set it off.... but then again, I put a 6-pack on my big ole Fury's 318 block - so do what YOU want to do with it to make it suit YOU..........

Rallye dash! :thumbup:

They look so much better. The original square sweep gauges just look cheap. Gauges should be round, especially in classics.

Are you switching out the entire dash? Or just the cluster? I'm going to convert my Duster over to a rallye dash and will be cutting the original dash for the rallye, so if you're doing it that way I'd love to see some pictures of the process.

This might help too...

Attachments

• standard-rally.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 166
When you say you have the complete dash, did you get the metal frame and all or did you just pull the instrument cluster and wiring harness?

I love the rallye dash...but not in a '68. I would keep the original dash. I really like how your car looks too, with the wheels and tires. I don't like rallye wheels on early (pre 1970) cars and I don't like hi impact colors on pre 70 cars either.

I am on the fence on this one. I have done a Ralley dash conversion for a friends 74 Duster, just make sure you take the dash harness out of the donor if you do it.
this^^^^take more than a couple of days

Even if I'm in the factory look department I would go w:eek:ops:ith the rally dash. They look really good. Add a consol, woodgrained steering wheel, pedel dress up kit and a super 8 stereo.

Like Redfish said, it is not an easy conversion. Do you have the rally dash frame and the wiring harness besides having the rally instrument cluster? It's your car Rani and you can do what you like, But I would put my money in performance parts first before I would attemt that swap.
Howard

When you say you have the complete dash, did you get the metal frame and all or did you just pull the instrument cluster and wiring harness?

i have the metal frame and everything ...in fact i still have the entire donor car which is a 68 cuda that took a nasty crunch on the front. even bent the K-frame.....but back to the question ....i meant the entire show ...frame and all

^That's cool. I was merely inquiring to see if you were going to be swapping the entire thing, or modifying your existing dash to fit the rally dash.

I say go for it. It's your car, build it how you want. If I can find one I'll put it in mine someday. If not then I'll stick with the ol' sweeper.

I take it you're going apples to apples then and using a 68 Dash with the lower dashpad?? Even though that is my least favorite of the rallye dashes because I'm not fond of the lower pad, I think if you're going to do the swap, it should at least be year correct. I like the rallye dash over the standard Dart cluster, but I'm on the fence also. It's not something I would consider if it were mine due to the fact that it wasn't offered, but I'm in the camp with the rest of the participants...it's your car, go with what YOU like best!!! Great car either way!! Geof

Rani it is your decision, but again as someone who has done 1 of these take out the dash harness right to the Bulk head connector as the 68 Dart harnes will NOT plug into the back of the 68 ralley circuit board.

I did a rally dash in my '71 swinger 4sdp bucket seat small block car and love it but thats just me. (Be prepared to spend some cash on it, after piecing it all together and having my gauges rebuilt it was about 1k.) I painted the bezel instead of having it revacume chromed to help save some money too. And I would not recommend the factory tac or even the repop, it's too small and the repop is inaccurate under 1800rpm ish despite being solid state ect. It does look damn cool though.

I used a '68 dash because I like the key in the dash over the column I just filled in the lower dash pad holes and ashtray since I am not a smoker.

Apparently I don't have any pics since the car was finished but here are some from a few years ago.

Attachments

• dash1.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 172
  • dash2.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_0715.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 146
this would actually be the third time i do this swap if i do it ....the other times were a 71 and 72 darts ....the difference is this time i have the correct harness those other times i took the standard harness apart and routed each wire individually to match the rally diagram......the wiring diagram someone posted in here would have saved me days of work LOL

Thanks everyone for the input .....i see it like we are all just having a general discussion about it....and actually im still on the fence too....

one thought is : the car is original relatively rust free its fine the way it is.

on the other hand i think...its just a slanty car no one cares. i think of going for the ghusto in case tomorrow never comes then i can at least say i had a car setup up bad *** LOL:p

i just dont want to kill the car with a mod that looks horrible.

the 71 dart is the first one i ever did and that took a day to get the hardware in and about a week to get the wiring right...

the second one in the 72 dart (pics) took one whole day bcoz i already knew the wiring from the 71.

the hardest part is getting the windsheild out and back in ....once you lose the windsheild ....you set me loose with a screwdriver and 3/8 impact and stuff starts flying fast :p

Attachments

• CIMG8203.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 134
  • CIMG8202.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 138
  • CIMG8208.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 155
Voted for ralleye ,you are going 4 speed no?.Function vs,budget,if you end up with a hot mill,take a newer tach on the column,over a stock 40 year old non recalibrated tach.If you do a wedge,please keep in mind.

I say stay with the original.
What's up with your page ?
It's all Larryed up.

I'm one of several owners who were not satisfied with the rallye dash already in their car.
Just a point to consider.

this would actually be the third time i do this swap if i do it ....the other times were a 71 and 72 darts ....the difference is this time i have the correct harness those other times i took the standard harness apart and routed each wire individually to match the rally diagram......the wiring diagram someone posted in here would have saved me days of work LOL

Thanks everyone for the input .....i see it like we are all just having a general discussion about it....and actually im still on the fence too....

one thought is : the car is original relatively rust free its fine the way it is.

on the other hand i think...its just a slanty car no one cares. i think of going for the ghusto in case tomorrow never comes then i can at least say i had a car setup up bad *** LOL:p

i just dont want to kill the car with a mod that looks horrible.

the 71 dart is the first one i ever did and that took a day to get the hardware in and about a week to get the wiring right...

the second one in the 72 dart (pics) took one whole day bcoz i already knew the wiring from the 71.

the hardest part is getting the windsheild out and back in ....once you lose the windsheild ....you set me loose with a screwdriver and 3/8 impact and stuff starts flying fast :p

I like that you mentioned "if tomorrow never comes" since the 21st is right around the corner

-
Back