To Stroke or not to Stroke?

340 550HP, But how???

• Total voters
-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
Im going to build a 340 here pretty soon. But what way to go? Any size I choose it will make around 550HP. I know torque will go up as stroke goes up, but any way you slice it its going to make good power. Lets here what you guys/gals think? Im kinda leaning toward 340ci.

Stock stroke. Strokers are too popular these days.

I'm interested to see it make over 500. I'm planning head/intake work, solid roller, and a couple other tricks for my 340. I am aiming for 475 horse but would love 500. Got a friend who re-did a 360 similar to what I'm planning and it made 430 to the tires. So I know it's possible. But I'm curious to see what it takes to get 550 out of a stock stroke 340 and how streetable it ends up being!

I vote 340. I will be interested in this build. I'm building a tunnel rammed 340 for my next engine. Would like to get 500 hp and rev to 7000+

475 is fairly easy to get out of a 340. I have found that going really radical on the cam doesn't really make more power.

If your not afraid to stall and gear it stock stroke. If your gonna with 3.55 then stroke it.

Ditto that other guy; 3" stroke and shut up all the haters

That sound more expensive! maybe not, but you are going to have to really wing it to get the power out. My 340 was still pulling strong at 7600 and wanting to go faster, my balls were not that big or my pocket that deep if it broke.

Would a medium stroke be best for efficiency and drivability at that power level?

Im sticking with the 3.31, 3.58 or 4.00 stroke, nothing fancy and expensive. Im with you about strokers, I do a lot of them. Its hard to beat the power they put down. But there is something about a high rpm screamer too. It will be up for sale afterwards, so Im trying to get a good pulse of what the people want. I may lean toward the 3.31 stock stroke, but if the masses say STROKE THAT MOTHER, then I will.
Keep it coming, I love the discussions.

I say go with the 3.58" stroke. Middle of the road, may be light enough for higher revs and still produce some torque.

I'm sure someone will want a bad *** 340
Where would 550 hp peak in a 340 around 6800 ??

475 is fairly easy to get out of a 340. I have found that going really radical on the cam doesn't really make more power.

Everyone I've talked to says that. But at the same time I know how much everyone loves to overestimate their power. There are lots of 400 horse "500 horsepower" engines out there. So I figure, aim low, hit high. Going to do max port on the J heads I got on there, with existing 2.02/160 valves. Port and match work on RPM airgap intake that's already on there. Then spec a custom solid roller, match my compression to get around 8.5-9 DCR (we got 94 octane here). And see what happens.

What about a destroked 340?

That's an interesting idea. There was a guy around town here about 10+ years ago. Ran a destroked 440 (I think he said it cubed out at 393 or something, it's a long time ago). Dropped an 8-71 on it. And regularly pushed it to 9k RPM. What I heard (full disclosure I wasn't there) was that he was in the local hangout parking lot one night honking on it, pushing it to 10,000 RPM and it pulled the custom billet crank apart.

Not hard to do in any size really. Just use the right parts and do good work (which I think you're already doing). If it's being built to sell, a 500+hp 340 is not going to be an easy sell. More marketable bigger, and 4" or more. Easier to mate with a street car. Otherwise it's "you want $x,*** for a 340? That's crazy!"

My 340 was fairly stock with a good cam, pocked work, good springs and push rods every thing else was stock. Oh and a little work on the oiling system, 3400 lb car 11.80 115 mph = about 410 hp at crank. With good port work, intake, better cam, and a good set of rods and pistons to hold it together I don' see a problem getting 500 hp. And it was street driven with no problem.

Screw destroking it. That's just crazy talk unless you need to fit into a 5.0 class.

Ether way Mike! My vote will go for the 3.58 stroke. But the 3.31 would be just as fine to seen done.

-
Back