To Stroke or not to Stroke?

340 550HP, But how???

• Total voters
-
"Stroke It"..nothing like the feeling of a stroker under your right foot!!!

My 340 was fairly stock with a good cam, pocked work, good springs and push rods every thing else was stock. Oh and a little work on the oiling system, 3400 lb car 11.80 115 mph = about 410 hp at crank. With good port work, intake, better cam, and a good set of rods and pistons to hold it together I don' see a problem getting 500 hp. And it was street driven with no problem.

That is a pretty efficient piece right here.... The car made enough power to put it in the 11's but not over the top to need all the safety requirements. It all comes down to what you want really. I personally would be careful about building anything and waiting for the right person to come along and want that combo. But if I wanted to make bigger power it would be a small based CI platform (340) with a load of Gas on top or a Turbo....

JW

If you are going to stroke it just start with a 360. .040 difference in bore? I don't see any real gain. 340's are just a different animal.

...........I personally would keep stock stroke, the minute u stroke it u loose all the nostalgia and mystery that surrounds the legendary 340...............kim.......

>As long as it will pull a final overdrive ratio of around 2.76 to 2.60, with great vacuum,and not have to stop at every gas station.Ima thinking Spreadbore.
>So I vote 3.79 stroke, and a Roller cam of about 225 to 235@050, Iron heads, Tight Q, and compression to burn 87 on the hiway, and maybe up to 91 on track-day.
>Not interested in an absolute power number. More interested in pushing 3600 pounds to 60mph in a hurry.
>Not interested in a big TC; maybe 2800 to 3200 tops;less would be better, with plenty of torque at stall to spin the tires at low rpm,and make 295s beg for mercy.
>Final cubes should have a non-intimidating number; like 388 or 394 or 3-anything between 367 and 399,but not ending in a 5. Or 6.
>Should be able to rev to 7200 cuz a Mopar at 7200 screams like a banshee, and is hopelessly addictive, so you know we are gonna go there.
>paint it Chrysler blue, cuz when you open the hood, nobody is afraid of blue.
>I voted 378 cubes, cuz there was no option for 3.79 stroke. Yeah I would start with a 360 based engine too, just cuz I would feel guilty not keeping a 340 as a 340. 340s got the rep, 360s got the rap;Go figure.

Last edited:
Stroke it for daily driving and having real world horsepower and torque down low in the rpm band
A high revving 340 on the street is fun but not practical.

a local builder i know campaigned a '71 340 Duster that ran 11.5's consistently.He always said it was nothing special just a carefully assembled 340 with Edelbrock heads, a .280 duration cam and 10" slick.. never said what gears.
He tore the engine down in the off season,put a 3.58 stroke rotating assembly in it and changed nothing else.
It ran a best of 10.47 from then on shifting at 7800.Some time later he cracked a cylinder wall and that brings up the question of durability for a stock mopar block at 500 plus hp.

There's no replacement for displacement.
Stroke it to 400'' and it will live longer because you won't have to rev it to the moon to get the five-fitty out of it............

Lmao you hitting the pipe a little early?

If anybody can do it, it would be you!
An engine like that makes a guy want to grab his teenage son, travel 10 hours to a car show, win the burn out contest, post a dynomite mph on their track,spend Sunday oogling the cars and not-scream all the way home on Monday.That's what memories are made of.
Become part of a Legend!
My son is 32 now, and still has fond memories of a certain roadtrip to the CarCraft Nationals in Minneapolis in 2004. Our little 367 FormulaS,with double overdrive, became part of our history, forever.He just received MY grandson, so time marches on......
That iteration coulda used a few more cubes,lol
Some details added to enhance the story

Last edited:
378 for my vote, that combo has so much potential. the 360 version is so unappreciated but really has what it takes.

a local builder i know campaigned a '71 340 Duster that ran 11.5's consistently.He always said it was nothing special just a carefully assembled 340 with Edelbrock heads, a .280 duration cam and 10" slick.. never said what gears.
He tore the engine down in the off season,put a 3.58 stroke rotating assembly in it and changed nothing else.
It ran a best of 10.47 from then on shifting at 7800.Some time later he cracked a cylinder wall and that brings up the question of durability for a stock mopar block at 500 plus hp.
That's why I try to keep a stock bore or as close as possible. I said before you finish the block first, only takeout what you have to. Then the bore is what it is, only then do you order the pistons.

Stock stroke, because you get too much wear on the piston skirt with a stroker, due to the piston getting a little cocked in the bore at the bottom of its stroke. (Feel free to disagree! always trying to learn this stuff.)

I once took a single cylinder motorcycle engine apart cux it quit running. When the head came off I saw why; the piston had somehow flipped sideways in there. It was a mighty short piston!, made shorter by the flip which kindof wrecked the skirts.I still can see the carnage in my head. IIRC that was a Honda factory hi-performance Quad engine. Part of their advertising mentioned the short-skirt, short-crown, hi-revving ability of their 4valve engine. Ima thinking it shouldda come with a rev-limiter!That's all I remember about that job, so please don't ask for more details.lol

Last edited:
And of course this is a common happening and valid fear for stroker engines right?!:realcrazy:

Mike, i"ll bet you're getting burned out building strokers. A stock stroke 340 would be cool and different. Heck if you are up to a challenge how about a 400 horse 273 or somethink along those lines.

As the old song from Billy Squire says.
Stroke me Stroke me. That's my vote.

I say stroke it, go big or go home. In all reality though, if you have a good usable stock crank then it would be more economical to keep the stock stroke but if all you have is a bare block and you have to buy a crank anyway then why not put a bigger crank in it. Plus it's easier to make big HP numbers with big cubes.
Oh and it's still going to say 340 on the side of the block either way.

build a stock stroke 600hp 383. that would be sweet.

-
Back