Too much horsepower?

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
I've done some dyno sim's on my new stroker combo and I may have a big problem, 790 HP problems. I think that's more than my stock block and 8.75 rear are going to take for too long.

The guys I got my cam from made 650 HP on the dyno with it in a Super Stock 344 cube engine. I've got way better heads and a tunnel ram with two 750's on it. What to do, what to do.

Some of the ET calculators put my car into the 8 second zone with that. I only wanted mid 9's.

:toothy5:Lol..You poor guy! Send it all to me and start over...

I did not think I would ever hear those words........ LOL!
Put it together and you'll have no troble finding your weak link!
Matt

Time to start saving up for an R block and a Dana.Poor you lol.That is a ton of power especially on a stock block,patch it up with a girdle and full fill the block and hope it holds together till you can get the stuff ya need.

I've done some dyno sim's on my new stroker combo and I may have a big problem, 790 HP problems. I think that's more than my stock block and 8.75 rear are going to take for too long.

The guys I got my cam from made 650 HP on the dyno with it in a Super Stock 344 cube engine. I've got way better heads and a tunnel ram with two 750's on it. What to do, what to do.

Some of the ET calculators put my car into the 8 second zone with that. I only wanted mid 9's.

I'm feeling the pain !!!Just get a good nights sleep and you'll be OK in the morning !!

Why not just downsize the carbs to a lower power level till you get that Dana and R block. Wonder what it would make on just the carb primaries, would be easy to disable the secondarys.

I,m learning this lesson as we speak(too much HP)When I bought my shortened Strange axels(1 twisted),I should,ve went more spline than 30,maybe 35 or 40??Oh the fun and joys of racing!LOL.Hope your prepared for breakage,thats alot of HP to be throwin at an 8 3/4.Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Why not just downsize the carbs to a lower power level till you get that Dana and R block. Wonder what it would make on just the carb primaries, would be easy to disable the secondarys.

Disconnecting the secondaries was the first thing that crossed my mind. lol

I have a big port 4150 flange manifold that may go on it, that should kill the bottom end pretty good.

Yeah, looks like an R block and a Dana are in my future.

Poor guy. Wish I had your problems! I think I saw an R block over in the Moparts classifieds for something like $3k bored to 4.155, square decked, and some other stuff done to it.

Wow, I don't hear that too often of too much HP, understand what you mean though.
What was your old engine combo, and what is your new engine combo.
Would like to see the difference between the two.

onig

790 thats sick! post pics. of the block when it breaks,Ive only seen ford blocks split from too much power.good work

Build it and see what it does. The cam wont transfer horsepower so you dont knwo if it's going to break stuff. Stick it together and see.

whats the cam spec's i am doing a 344 and would like 650hp?

buy the ticket take the ride, lol

LOL GREAT reply. Mopers as well.

The 8-3/4 will take it. Tensec340 was running a 500 inch Indy headed RB into the low 9's with the 8-3/4. It did eventualy break, but it was also unbraced or worked on besides the upgraded axles and such things. His ride was nothing trick at all. Just raw balls out power.

Run it till it breaks and then step up. Have fun.

HEMI-I, did time fix the 8-3/4 or step up on the Dart before he sold it?

I just noticed, it's 790 on a dyno sim, not an actual dyno. How accurate are those things? Doesn't seem like heads and a 2X4 tunnel ram would make 140 more HP with the same cam.

Depends on the sim program and when it was last updated as well as the info put into it. In general, there a better tool to figure out direction (IMO) than rely on actual correctness. From what I have read (Take with a grain of salt now) there preety good. Not great.

Come on Guitar, do as Moper says, build that sum-*****, as you know there's no room in "Moparland" for pussies (not saying you're a pussy, hell no:toothy5:) or 9" fords. I would however upgrade to D60 just to be on the safe side. I want to see her squat like that Dart in your post.

It takes an AWESOME cylinder head to even get close to make that kind of power. I think I'd worry more about TRYING to make that kind of power before I'd worry about easily getting there and hurting parts.
Do you plan to dyno the engine?

Just as a point of interest...I'm working on a fast bracket 440 small block that will make between 800 and 850HP with a single 4 carb and it will cost no less than 23000.00 including the vacume pump.
RPM is your friend!!
We'd love to see it on the pump that's for sure!!
Brian

I,m learning this lesson as we speak(too much HP)When I bought my shortened Strange axels(1 twisted),I should,ve went more spline than 30,maybe 35 or 40??Oh the fun and joys of racing!LOL.Hope your prepared for breakage,thats alot of HP to be throwin at an 8 3/4.Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I was wondering how much power a 30 spline 8 3/4" can handle. I was just about to order a new set of Moser 30 spline axles for my new 410" build(close to 600 hp), but I wonder if I shouldn't just get a set of 35 spline axles & matching spool, just to be safe???

Mount a brick under your accelerator pedal. Problem solved!:salute:

I was wondering how much power a 30 spline 8 3/4" can handle. I was just about to order a new set of Moser 30 spline axles for my new 410" build(close to 600 hp), but I wonder if I shouldn't just get a set of 35 spline axles & matching spool, just to be safe???

......Step it up to at least the 30 spline.................kim...........

-
Back