Too much timing?

-
Thanks buddy yall didn't loose me im still here I have been busy at work I don't get on the internet much during the week when I'm working. I will be off on Saturday tho and we will continue this journey lol I gotta talk to Dana about my carb I may end up pulling it. I have a spare holley I can use for a min. Im gonna order the fbo kit and play around with the total some. Thanks for all your help you have shed a crap ton of light on this situation. I still have a bunch of questions but we'll ge to them as they come. I have a bad habit of jumping the gun on questions and once I start working on it I realize the questions I asked were pretty self explanatory.

How's the new promotion going? Well, I suspect. I hope you're having good luck with it!

How's the new promotion going? Well, I suspect. I hope you're having good luck with it!
It is going well. It keeps me super busy! I don't work as many hours a week now but the hours I do work are non stop! Lol when I was a machine operator I was working a minimum of 72 hours a week (6 days) but in those 6 days I would take a minimum of 3 hour breaks per day now im only working 4 12s (48hrs) but im lucky if I get 10 mins per day to eat a sandwich! But im no longer doing physical work like required to run a machine! Its most busy work answering phone calls and emails etc! I am enjoying it! Its a challenge and I've always loved a good challenge!

I was under the impression that the plate simply limited total advance, and the springs were for tuning the curve.
It's not quite that simple.
And that's why I wrote what wrote.
The OP wasn't at a point yet to get into that.

In summary:
The curve shape depends on the tension on the two springs. Changing the start and stop of the weight position changes the tension.
Details of three ways to adjust and change tension at different rpms in this post.
vacuum-drop-when-shifting-from-park-to-gear.473761/page-3#post-1973152679

Example of springs and slots found in many electronic distributors
Shorten the slot on the inside like Rockable did here.
Then its pretty much a pre-CAP advance.

Further discussed with Mullinax and Kendog
360 Tune Up

While this is all very helpful for getting the most out of mid rpm and part throttle (with vacuum advance), for high rpm applications, leaving enough room for the springs to compensate for slew rate is also important.
For example see Bill Baldwin's video in this post.
Mopar orange box retards timing?

or @YellowRose's tests here;
Ignition box retard with RPM

and a video he posted showing that here
School Me On Distributor Performance

I was out messing with the dart a little bit today after mowing and rechecked the cylinder pressure with the throttle open and got 170psi. Does that sound more on par with 10:1?

20210711_141714.jpg

Sweet,
it depends on your Ica, and altitude, er elevation,lol..
My pressure at 930ft, has been about 180 +/- 5, with Scrs of;
11.3, 10.7, and 10.95. with Icas of 61 to 76 degrees.
The lsa is 112. My elevation is 2000-2500 depending on which side of the county im in lol. My house is around 2100

That's pretty strong. It's gonna need premium to run to its full potential.
Im running 90 non ethanol thats the highest non ethanol we have around here but a buddy told me about a gas station near by that has 93 non ethanol once I start driving it regularly I will run reg premium I just don't want to leave the carb setting with ethanol in it.

Im running 90 non ethanol thats the highest non ethanol we have around here but a buddy told me about a gas station near by that has 93 non ethanol once I start driving it regularly I will run reg premium I just don't want to leave the carb setting with ethanol in it.

Why stay from ethanol? For higher compression, it's better.

Why stay from ethanol? For higher compression, it's better.
Really? I never knew that. I just know how hard it is on carbs that don't get ran everyday. I switched to non ethanol in all my yard tools, mowers weed eaters, four wheeler, etc because I got tired of rebuilding carbs.

The lsa is 112. My elevation is 2000-2500 depending on which side of the county im in lol. My house is around 2100
How about the Intake Closing Angle?
At cranking speed, the engine cannot start building Compression until the intake valve is closed.

My system, including the 750DP, has not had any trouble with "up to 10% ethanol" , for all the years I been pouring it to her. 10% is all we have or I would try more.

Really? I never knew that. I just know how hard it is on carbs that don't get ran everyday. I switched to non ethanol in all my yard tools, mowers weed eaters, four wheeler, etc because I got tired of rebuilding carbs.

Alcohol has a higher octane rating than gasoline.

How about the Intake Closing Angle?
At cranking speed, the engine cannot start building Compression until the intake valve is closed.

My system, including the 750DP, has not had any trouble with "up to 10% ethanol" , for all the years I been pouring it to her. 10% is all we have or I would try more.

What about it? He's just shown his cranking pressure. Obviously the ICV is not "real late".

Yeah ethanol kills small engines, but car engines don't have a problem with it because it gets used pretty quickly and doesn't sit.

I was out messing with the dart a little bit today after mowing and rechecked the cylinder pressure with the throttle open and got 170psi. Does that sound more on par with 10:1?
df asked
Does that sound more on par with 10:1?

without knowing the displacement and Ica, it could be 12/1 or 9/1 or anything in between.
I am trying to be helpful............
I got this;
"Its a 372, 360 .060 over 10:1 with iron heads." and this
" 2100 to 2500"

Last edited:
Yeah ethanol kills small engines, but car engines don't have a problem with it because it gets used pretty quickly and doesn't sit.
I was going to say that ethanol is more damaging to equipment that sits for long periods. Never had issues in a car. Edit: the little primer bulbs are the real losers in small engines!

df asked
Does that sound more on par with 10:1?

without knowing the displacement and Ica, it could be 12/1 or 9/1 or anything in between.
I am trying to be helpful............
I got this;
"Its a 372, 360 .060 over 10:1 with iron heads." and this
" 2100 to 2500"
IIRC the ica is 62

The Wallace predicts that at 2250 elevation your 4.06 bore 360 will make 170 psi at 10.7 Scr, at an Ica of 62*
The 360 falls together at about 10.7 with the KB107s, .039 FelPros, and 63cc heads; so that's in the ballpark.

The Wallace predicts that at 2250 elevation your 4.06 bore 360 will make 170 psi at 10.7 Scr, at an Ica of 62*
The 360 falls together at about 10.7 with the KB107s, .039 FelPros, and 63cc heads; so that's in the ballpark.
When I figured it up it was a little over 10:1 like 10.3

I don't think he's using the KB107.

Yea I am. Kb 107 .060 over and 596 heads that where milled and ported,, i cced them but can't remember what they where now 63-65 somewhere in there.

Oh ok, my bad. I thought you had gotten the Sealed Power ones.

24* initial is too much.
It's going to ping under load unless you do a major recurve of the distributor.

-
Back