Took a long break

-

DERICKS

Reaction score
My car (1973 Duster)hasn't been on the road since 2010 and I took a break from cars almost completely. The engine was broken and I had it sleeved and refreshed, 1969 340 with stock crank and rods. TRW (yes I know) pistons 10.5 replacements from ages ago, MP 508 cam( yes I know) hey its a total budget build :), production 308 iron heads with no porting but a 2.02 intake valve in them. 1.5 roller rockers, Torquer II (yes I know) intake, 750 HP holley, 1 5/8 headers 3 inch exhaust, 904 trans with 9 1/2 dynamic converter 2800 stall, and a 4.56 gear with 28 in tall tires. The car weight 3150 with me in it and it ran consistant 12.00-12.20's at 110mph. I don't have much money and was considering gear change so my question is...what would YOU spin this combo to RPM wise and is the 4.56 too much gear? Thanks Derick

with a 28 inch tall tire...i would leave the 4.56 in .....

I would dump that converter for a 4k one.. It will make more of a difference then a the gear change...Depending on vlave springs in those heads I would say 6200 max. That motor needs a bit more air to really turn it up.

The converter change will help.

I was going to look into loosening that converter or getting another, the engine is still out so its an easy switch. The springs are fresh comps but I have to find my paperwork to see which ones they are...the engine was redone 2 years ago and has been sitting

start a shift at 5000 and go up 500 each pass until it slows down in et or just noses over then go back 250rpm and see if it still pulls good.

I have ran it up to 6000 through the gears and it went through the traps around 6100...I was just worried about spinning it higher with all the old parts and heavy pistons. its got good rod bolts and everything has been gone through, just worried about wear and tear I guess

Welcome back DERICKS!
Nice looking cars!!
Change the valve springs, a good tuneup and see how she sounds.
Decide from there.

I think at the very least I need to get a looser converter so it doesn't crawl out of the hole. Thanks to everyone for your input

-
Back