Torn between 360/408 and 440

-

standup303

Reaction score
Think I’ve been reading around too much. I was dead set on a 440 to go in my slant 6 74 Dart. Even bought one that’s now in my garage, needs a full rebuild. Now after reading around I’m considering the 360/408. Car will be mainly cruising through mountains and side roads. Maybe go to the strip a few times a year just to see what it will run.

360 is appealing because it’s so much easier to get a running motor. I can buy a junkyard engine or confirmed running from Craigslist, could buy a 408 short block like ATK or Blueprint. I already have to do header exhaust radiator mounts trans rear end on top of completely re building a 440.

I guess I’m wondering if anyone has ever gone 440 route and regretted it?

It's supposed to be a hobby. You know, FUN? Just build what you have and have some fun.

they are all great engines and each of them have become common. Pick your poison, i know what i would build!

It all comes down to what is it you really want? Do you want to say you have a 440 Dart, then put in the 440. If it is strictly a target power you are after, a 408 will likely get you want you are after in a more compact package. You already know what you have to change to convert to BB.

I believe dollar for dollar, you will get more output out of the 440.

For what you are doing this would be my order

360 if on a budget

408 if you have extra money in your wallet to spend

440 if you like telling everyone it has a 440 big block in it.

More stuff to think on. A 408 will be harder to get 500HP from without some REAL professional ($$$$) head porting and or aftermarket aluminum heads. A well prepped 440 with a nice set of mildly ported iron heads and good parts choices can make 500HP fallin outta bed, missin a plug wire.

Cruising through mountains and side roads screams small block for the light weight. the 440 has more weight up front.

For what you are doing this would be my order

360 if on a budget

408 if you have extra money in your wallet to spend

440 if you like telling everyone it has a 440 big block in it.
Why do you think small. lol

408 for sure! A-bodies came with(360's) them. They fit and function better. 440 is to tight(exhaust and other clearance issues) and heavier

408 for sure! A-bodies came with(360's) them. They fit and function better. 440 is to tight(exhaust and other clearance issues) and heavier
A body's came with 383s and 440s in them also we won't count the hemi in the 68 darts and cudas but anyway if you put aluminum heads, aluminum water pump and a Aluminum Intake on that 440 it would be lighter than a stock 360.

But it won't fit as well...and they are are known to be nose heavy. Put those same aluminum part on the 408 and what is the weight now? Not to mention the OP wants to corner Jadaharabi

But it won't fit as well...and they are are known to be nose heavy. Put those same aluminum part on the 408 and what is the weight now? Not to mention the OP wants to corner Jadaharabi
How will it be nose heavy if he adds aluminum intake, water pump housing, water pump and headers? Then it will be lighter than a stock small block. The difference between a stock 360 and 440 is only about 150 pounds.

There are only two options in my mind.
Installing a small block is too easy and everyone does it.
So a big block or modern hemi swap is the only thing I would have considered. lol
I did the big block swap as a teenager in the 70's.
Never had a small block in a Mopar car.

Consider your elevation changes. Changing Elevations wreak havoc with your AFR, but more importantly, changes you running cylinder pressure. At 8000 ft your 360 is gonna need a lotta Static Compression Ratio, to pull itself along, whereas the 440 has extra power built-in by virtue of cubic inches.
To give you an idea;
the LA 360 with closed chamber heads, falls together at about 10/1Scr. Put a little cam into it say with a 60* ICA and the cylinder pressure might come in at about 170psi at sealevel, which is mighty darn nice.
But by 5000 ft, it is down to 143psi and starting to wheeze pretty badly.
By 8000 it is down to 128psi; hopelessly sick..... IMO

The 440 at 10/1 comes in at 171psi at sealevel, 144@5000, 129@8000
So you say; "so what, both are about the same"; and yur right.
But what will they perform like?
Well for that, we have to look at the P/V index which relates these pressures to engine sizes.
The numbers for the 360 are; 148@selevel, 125@5000, 111@8000
The numbers for the 440 are; 182, 154, 137
Engines with similar P/V numbers will make similar performance at lower rpms usually below 3000 but could climb a lil.
So then, check it out; the 440 At 182P/V will have an insanely powerful bottom end. By 8000ft, with a P/V of 137, this is about what the 360 will be down to by just 2200ft.
If you are gonna be operating at changing elevations, I think the choice is clear........

BTW, a P/V of 137 is still pretty good, at least as strong as a 5.2M@ sealevel.

Last edited:
I fell in love with Mopars in 1978 after my first ride in a 440. Still luv'em!! Have one in my 69 Charger.

But after having a 408 in the avatar, what's not to like? That 4" arm makes the engine just a joy - especially on the street! And the engine is simple to work on in the car. Horsepower is determined by how much cyl head you want to put on it. Only you (OP) can decide what you want out of the car.

Small in A-body Good! better balance IMO!

Sticking with the 440. Will be dropping off the block at the machine shop next week to get rolling on it. Thanks for the input all!

Ok I had A 1973 Dodge Dart 360 motor in my Duster for 42 years. I worked great. Just put a 408 in the car and man what a difference. It’s like I dropped a Big block in it . It is a completely different car. Both are great choices. But if you can afford it go with a stroker.
E531C8FE-A515-43C7-A6FD-020E19865C47.jpeg

This is outside of the box, but I was under the impression that if you put a 440 in an a-body, you will have inference with the heater blower motor? This is hearsay to me so I can't confirm. Just throwing it out there if you still need heat or defrosters.

Last edited:
-
Back