Torsion Bar problem

-

Still Looking !!

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Barracuda, 273 torqueflight 904. My torsion bars are making a racket and I need to find torsion bar isolators or torsion bar silencers. Have been unable to find them on any site as of yet. Would anyone know where I might find this item.
It is making driving my Barracuda a real headache. I need some relief !!!
Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure how torsion bars can "make a racket". If they're holding your car up, they're tight and don't make any noise. If your front suspension is squeaking or rattling, could be control arm bushings or ???

Also, have never heard of "torsion bar isolators or torsion bar silencers" in an A-Body.

Ball joints making noise

damage to front LCA pivot pin sockets

worn bushings anywhere in the front, but especially LCA bushings

Get under there, jack on the lca, and start wiggling stuff

Whatever it is it's broken or loose.

Could even be exhaust or engine / trans banging against something, check the mounts.

Pivot pins at lower arm bushings are difficult to see and even more difficult to repair but... I'll bet my quarter there is where the noise maker is hiding.

Where would you put such a thing?

What did you see/hear that led you to believe its the t bars? That might help to figure out the cause. The sockets do get greased, I guess if they were dry and a little loose they could make some noise.

I need to find torsion bar isolators or torsion bar silencers. Have been unable to find them on any site as of yet.

As others have said its likely your front end bushings are likely in need of replacement as the torsion bars are sprung and should not themselves make a sound.

As a side note: Torsion bar isolation began in 1973 on BBodies only (never on ABodies) when the K frame also was isolated from the frame rails with rubber bushings and continued all the way up into the R, F, M & J's into the 80s. The thinking was to reduce road noise from the body of the car.

As others have said, it's not the torsion bars. Describe the noise and when it happens.

Does anyone know what the bushings that are pressed into the torsion arm socket are called? I need to replace mine and don't know what to order

Does anyone know what the bushings that are pressed into the torsion arm socket are called? I need to replace mine and don't know what to order

What year is your car?

Some shop manuals:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

Some good part nos from "that other site."

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/techindex.shtml

I believe you are looking for "lower control arm bushings." I would NOT replace them alone, check the entire front end and replace all rubber if not recently done.

Since you are probably running modern radials, read this, and pay attention to the "skosh chart."

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

Lower control arm bushing MOOG replacement K791 (62-76 ABody). They are pressed into the lower control arm on the front side of the torsion bar socket. Remember press them onto the pivot pin before the lower control arm, much easier that way.

did you check the upper control arm oil???? could be low

-
Back