Torsion bars

-

7dduster

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I leave my slant6 torsion bars in when I put my 318 in my Duster. I never did this swap before all my cars had a v8 already or I had a race chassie already set up.

it would be soft and spongy on the street. but would hook up better at the track. these cars are all under sprung from the factory. it wont hurt anything to leave them but it is doing you no favors in the handling dept.

yeah with the small bars you'll get a lot more lift in the front end on punch...but you'll also scrape the road with your headers more.

Most the guys at the drag strip are looking for slant bars I just traded mine for the 340 bars. But I ran the slant bars for 3 1/2 years before changing with a 360 under the hood.

Considering /6 with AC uses the same bars as 318 without air. It will most likely feel the same as it does with the /6

I noticed a big difference in handling going from a slant to a 360 in my old Dart. The handling went to crap. I had the hd slant 6/318 bars. Later on, I swapped to 340 bars-backwhen they were like $130--and I really didn't notice a difference.

I used the Mopar Performance .920 bars in my Duster when swapped to a 340.Very good on the street.

The thing is................you can always change 'em. It's not as if you have to "do something over again."

It really depends on what you expect the car to do. For me, I wouldn't drive an A-body with a slant that still had the stock suspension. 340 bars, in my opinion, are barely adequate and would be completely inadequate without a front sway bar and good shocks...Don't forget to address rear spring rate, too.

I have a modified friend who runs a 1.150 the bigger the stiffer, according to him......his duster uses a real thin bar, giving the front alota up snap. Like others have said, strip guys like the .83/85 S/6's.

Life is a compromise.

BigBlockDart has a good T-Bar ref!

The lift won't bother me. It going to be a strip/street anyway. I'm running 3 1/2 to 4 inch wide front wheels and they don't turn to fast anyway. I was worried about the weight issue. Thank you for all the help.

The lift won't bother me. It going to be a strip/street anyway. I'm running 3 1/2 to 4 inch wide front wheels and they don't turn to fast anyway. I was worried about the weight issue. Thank you for all the help.
:thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:...........Artie

I did this /6 to 318 swap awhile back. It was a non A/C car. No sway bars.
So, if the above is true, AKA, smaller T--bars, then I agree that the front will lift up well. Not crazy like. The. Again my '78, 318 just had a cam and bolt on's.

For what your doing, it'll be a fun ride.

Run the /6 bars and change them if you are unhappy. You might not notice much at all.

I have a wife I'd like to modify. Let me know how you did that.

I'd recomend porting the intake and exhaust ports and once done store it in the garage. :compress:

well if anyone wants to swap for some /6 bars let me know. I wouldn't mine bigger bars...then I could drop the front down a little.
I do have a sway bar and it handles pretty darn good and the ride is great.

-
Back