Tough questions

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
OK, time to ask the tough questions. Even though the answers may not be what I want to hear.

1) Is there generally a higher value assigned to a vintage Mopar restored to as close as original as possible as opposed to some tastefully done hop-up mods (mostly engine related)

2) How important is original paint and trim in the whole scheme of things, as opposed to a year correct paint and trim package?

3) How much detrimental effect do aftermarket resto parts have on value (i.e. replacement brake calipers or discs, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

If you are talking A-Body, not as much as a B or E.

The rarer popularity of the car to start with makes a difference as well.

The key is tasteful, make it too personal and nobody will want it and the value goes down.
Quality makes a difference as well, if it looks like a hack did it same thing.

Alan

If you are talking A-Body, not as much as a B or E.

The rarer popularity of the car to start with makes a difference as well.

The key is tasteful, make it too personal and nobody will want it and the value goes down.
Quality makes a difference as well, if it looks like a hack did it same thing.

Alan
Car in question is a '72 Duster 340

Any answer is subjective but an original car is almost always worth more than a modified one. Original sheet metal and numbers matching usually means more money. The question is the car itself. An original 1971 Cuda is worth enough stock to keep it totally stock. A 1972 Duster stock is worth perhaps more than a modified one but is not worth nearly as much as the Cuda so the question becomes what do you want. A stock Duster not worth as much as the restoration costs or a car with tasteful mods that may be cheaper to complete. Modifications that can be reversed easily is usually best if you want close to stock but more modern to drive. Changing a color even if an original year color is going to bring the value down the same as a non matching drivetrain. The best thing to do is decide what you want in your car and it's purpose. A survivor car is probably worth more or as much as a restored, as they are original only once but condition means everything.

Any answer is subjective but an original car is almost always worth more than a modified one. Original sheet metal and numbers matching usually means more money. The question is the car itself. An original 1971 Cuda is worth enough stock to keep it totally stock. A 1972 Duster stock is worth perhaps more than a modified one but is not worth nearly as much as the Cuda so the question becomes what do you want. A stock Duster not worth as much as the restoration costs or a car with tasteful mods that may be cheaper to complete. Modifications that can be reversed easily is usually best if you want close to stock but more modern to drive. Changing a color even if an original year color is going to bring the value down the same as a non matching drivetrain. The best thing to do is decide what you want in your car and it's purpose. A survivor car is probably worth more or as much as a restored, as they are original only once but condition means everything.
Well said.

It all depends on the buyer and what they are willing to pay. Period. Unless the car is totally modified to where it can never be returned back to stock, IMO the value is still there.

I know he said the car in question is a '72 340 Duster. But generally speaking, the questions asked are car to car. I don't know how the value is hurt on a '75 Duster factory slant six when a 408 crate motor from blue print is installed. And nobody is going to say you hurt the value of a numbers matching '72 Duster 318 if you swap the 7.25 rear end to a A-body 8.75 with 3.23 sure grip. Now, an all original, beautiful '69 road runner 440 6 pack car??? Yeah, not alot you'll do but hurt the value by swapping parts and paint.

FWIW, I'm not talking mods such as changing rear ends or trans or any sheet metal changes other than maybe factory scoop and spoiler or stripe package options from 1972. Motor mods are mostly reversible like carb/manifold/header options, so no too worried about that. More concerned with stuff like installing SS brake lines, upgraded suspension parts and the like. I realize the cost is going to be an uphill climb and I'm trying not to get too badly upside-down.

FWIW, I'm not talking mods such as changing rear ends or trans or any sheet metal changes other than maybe factory scoop and spoiler or stripe package options from 1972. Motor mods are mostly reversible like carb/manifold/header options, so no too worried about that. More concerned with stuff like installing SS brake lines, upgraded suspension parts and the like. I realize the cost is going to be an uphill climb and I'm trying not to get too badly upside-down.
Value is the eye of the beholder. Build the car the way you want it because it will be worth the most to you. If you upgrade suspension bushings and brake lines, I don't think the purist are going to take you to task if you were to sell it.

My "idea" is that if you want a "restomod" start with a low value car, like a plain jane slant or 318 car and build what you want. If you have a "more rare" 340 car especially with some desirable options, keep it original, at least "reversible."

The value is in your eyes, and the buyers. An all original 340 Duster, dog dish wheels, 3sp manual, radio delete.....compared to a 340 Duster with a stroked W2 408, 4sp, headers, 17" Boyds (tasteful only), 12" Viper discs and EFI? I'd have to lean on the 408 for appeal value, but that's just me. and maybe ALOT of buyers. How many aqua and white 57 Chevy Bel-Airs were made, and how many do you see now at car shows. Bone stock....kinda boring..? The only crowd your gonna impress with a bone stock 340 Duster is the Mopar purists, with that 'other' Duster...lots more! Flame on.....

My number one priority is safety: disk brakes/power brakes, new steering box, 3-point seat belts, etc.
Number two is reliability: electronic ignition, new carb, etc.
Number three is keeping the car looking good, but as close to the original as possible: Restro interior parts, etc.
These rust buckets are 50 years old. How much will be original?

The value is in your eyes, and the buyers. An all original 340 Duster, dog dish wheels, 3sp manual, radio delete.....compared to a 340 Duster with a stroked W2 408, 4sp, headers, 17" Boyds (tasteful only), 12" Viper discs and EFI? I'd have to lean on the 408 for appeal value, but that's just me. and maybe ALOT of buyers. How many aqua and white 57 Chevy Bel-Airs were made, and how many do you see now at car shows. Bone stock....kinda boring..? The only crowd your gonna impress with a bone stock 340 Duster is the Mopar purists, with that 'other' Duster...lots more! Flame on.....
I'm with you completely on that one. It's not like modding '68 Rambler (though there are purists for those, too) where any looks and/or performance mods (tastefully done) might add to the sales appeal and value. My line of thinking is that any Mopar FACTORY mods or options that give it more "curb appeal" and increase drool factor would be a plus...providing driveability and reliability aren't compromised...is that wrong thinking?

I like factory paint, body and interior...anything else is fair game. Quite a few F.A.S.T (Factory Appearing Stock Tire) Mopars at shows with the hoods down....? You rarely see the car shows on cable doing a 100 point restoration because they cant, real dated stuff isn't available anymore unless its rebuilt cores. "Hey, your coil wire isn't date correct...neither is your lower radiator hose."

I like factory paint, body and interior...anything else is fair game. Quite a few F.A.S.T (Factory Appearing Stock Tire) Mopars at shows with the hoods down....? You rarely see the car shows on cable doing a 100 point restoration because they cant, real dated stuff isn't available anymore unless its rebuilt cores. "Hey, your coil wire isn't date correct...neither is your lower radiator hose."
Not as concerned with 'car show snob stuff' as I am with decreasing the value to a Joe Average buyer. Not that I ever intend to sell it, but someday one of my kids will.

Not as concerned with 'car show snob stuff' as I am with decreasing the value to a Joe Average buyer. Not that I ever intend to sell it, but someday one of my kids will.
Your kids audience wont care if its original. That's my thinking....Guy I know exports older Vettes to Oz, repaints every one of them "Resale Red". Does that for a reason, Red sells...original brown doesn't.

When I see those questions there is only one answer.... You are worried about money and you are tinkering with old cars..... It rarely works out with the books not in red on them. You can flip em' and do better with junk than you can rolling the dice on sinking money into old muscle..... If money is the concern, go invest it in some Mask company. It seems to be all the rage right now.....

Of course you will have those that get to chime in and talk about their blah blah blah that they made all this money on. And yep, it does happen on occasion. Not the norm. Start counting time the moment you venture into the car hobby with money on the brain and you will soon find out a Part-time job at Subway is a better investment....

Your car, your way. Rumblefish360 said it's years ago and it sticks well. No go enjoy your car and make what you want of it OP....

JW

Here's an option. Sell the 340 Duster now. Then use part of the money to buy a '72 318 car, build it how you want without remorse or guilt. The car will increase with value. Take your kids out to eat many times with the cash left over from the price difference between the two cars. That's how the whole family enjoys Dad's car :)

OK, time to ask the tough questions. Even though the answers may not be what I want to hear.

1) Is there generally a higher value assigned to a vintage Mopar restored to as close as original as possible as opposed to some tastefully done hop-up mods (mostly engine related)

2) How important is original paint and trim in the whole scheme of things, as opposed to a year correct paint and trim package?

3) How much detrimental effect do aftermarket resto parts have on value (i.e. replacement brake calipers or discs, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

to be honest all those things really depend on the car.. we talking hemi/6 pack cars or a slant six car?

Thanks in advance!

This just my opinion...

Back in the late 90's & 2000's, I watched a lot of the original equipment, numbers matching, paint correct cars get bought up for good money. There was about 10-15 years when those things were highly sought after for classic car buyers. Most of the high dollar B and E bodies (as well as Chevelle SS, Mustang BOSS/MACH 1, Skylark GS, etc. cars) are/were in the hands of collectors who held onto them and kept the mileage down. That still holds true for the 426 Hemi cars, 440 six pack cars, LS6 Chevelles, BOSS 429 Mustangs.

Today, a guy with $40,000-$60,00 of expendable money to drop on an old car wants something different. He wants a car that can be driven and enjoyed more than once or twice a year.

He wants better handling & control = suspension upgrades, bigger disc brakes, wheel & tire upgrades
He wants better power and technology in the driveline = engine swap, EFI, 5 or 6 speed manual trans
He wants creature comforts = aftermarket A/C, digital gauges, Bluetooth stereo or CD player, maybe wrap around bucket seats
He wants to stand out at the car shows = custom color paint, aggressive stance, custom trim or decals

All that being said, I don't think you will "lose" a bunch of money by de-valuing your car due to upgrades or modifications.
You may not add a lot of value to the sales price either though. The cost of these types of upgrades usually breaks about even when the car is sold.

Here’s one for you I bet you didn’t think about, or care about.

I won’t purchase a restored car. To much of a headache to keep mint and actually enjoy it. AKA - Drive the socks out of it!

Here’s one for you I bet you didn’t think about, or care about.

I won’t purchase a restored car. To much of a headache to keep mint and actually enjoy it. AKA - Drive the socks out of it!

And remember buying one restored means it was rebuilt.... Without extreme details and pictures of the process run forest run. I was told 2 weeks ago of a guy who bought a Hemi car who is now has a gaping butthole from a well misrepresented car that he paid good money for.....

JW

This just my opinion...
Today, a guy with $40,000-$60,00 of expendable money to drop on an old car wants something different. He wants a car that can be driven and enjoyed more than once or twice a year.

True. And he would rather lowball a survivor car purchase and bring it to a professional for a ground up resto, than to pay for whatever resto you have done.

He wants better handling & control = suspension upgrades, bigger disc brakes, wheel & tire upgrades
He wants better power and technology in the driveline = engine swap, EFI, 5 or 6 speed manual trans
He wants creature comforts = aftermarket A/C, digital gauges, Bluetooth stereo or CD player, maybe wrap around bucket seats
He wants to stand out at the car shows = custom color paint, aggressive stance, custom trim or decals

Yes, I am beginning to see this more and more as the musclecar crowd ages.

All that being said, I don't think you will "lose" a bunch of money by de-valuing your car due to upgrades or modifications.
You may not add a lot of value to the sales price either though. The cost of these types of upgrades usually breaks about even when the car is sold.

I guess, in the end, it's like Rumblefish said in his post above...don't worry about what the future might bring. Build it your way and enjoy it while you own it.

LOL......My friend, you are going to be upside down. Ask me how I know.......:lol:

-
Back