Towing with a 66 Barracuda with a newer & rebuilt 904

-

66CudaGirl

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I know, I'm probably nutz, but I'm doing a 2200 mile cross country move and find the need to use my 66 Barracuda to tow my 87 CRX. The CRX weighs approx 1000 LESS than the Barracuda and will be flat towed.
:burnout:

I had the 904 a/t rebuilt approx 3 years ago (it is an early 70s model) and the 318 done 5 years ago. I'm not worried about the motor, but is there anything I should worry about with the 904?
Thanks!!!
:prayer:

Attachments

• cuda at drive thru-r.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 760
  • cuda-new suspension.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 771
  • cuda in santa barbara coast-r.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 704
I would be more worried about the brakes. What size brakes do you have on the Cuda?
If you only have 9 in brakes, I would not do it. 10 inch or discs, might be doable if you are carefull.
I would also add an extra trans oil cooler. Radiator might also be marginal.

I seem to remember a Barris modified 66 Barracuda as a tow vehicle for a race car, in the 1966 movie Fireball 500. :)

trans cooler & make sure your hitch is solid, not just a bumper mount. good luck with the move ,Lawrence

Install a trans cooler. Keep it cool.

trans cooler & make sure your hitch is solid, not just a bumper mount. good luck with the move ,Lawrence

Welcome to FABO, nice fish you have there!!

X2 on the trans cooler, pretty cheap and easy to install. Take it easy with the brakes, (i see a V8 badge so I assume you have 10" brakes or better) wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect them before you go, also check the brake lines. I would be a little nervous if you are running the old style master cylinder with the single brake line, blow one line and you lose all brakes. A upgrade to a newer style is pretty easy and not that expensive, and way safer.

You say the CRX weighs a 1000 lbs? Should have no problem pulling it but remember, don't fill the cars to the roof with other stuff, it may add a lot more weight, make sure you can see out the rear window. How is your cooling system? Your car may run a little warmer so be sure the radiator is good and all hoses too. I would make a check list and look the entire car over or have a shop do it for you.

Have a safe trip and good luck!!

HI & thanks for the input!

Yes, the car is a V-8. The 318 was built in '07. I've done a few 4 hour+ trips with it through the desert in the alst few years. The car is actually the Formula S version (factory a/c, pb & ps) ... everything important on the car is at most 5 years old. Engine, trans, brake system (all but the power booster), charging system, cooling system, suspension (air shocks in the rear), hoses, 4 bbl carb, etc.

I was considering a trans cooler. When I built the car, this transmission (which was used & an unknown) was installed as-was. In '09 I went from Vegas to Phoenix. It was fine, until it took 3 hours to go 7 miles through the Hoover Dam area (steep hills) on the return trip. That toasted it & earned the rebuild (yes, I utilized neutral & even turned off the car periodically - next time, I'll just pull over). I'd guess that in 3 years, that rebuilt trans has less than 3k on it.

Cooling system is good, radiator was re-cored in '09 also.

Brakes are also good. Less than 3K on them as well w/all new lines & wheel cylinders in '07, plus I'll be carrying spare shoes, hardware & of course tools/jack/stands. Not that I want to be replacing brakes anywhere, but sh*t does happen.

This week I'm installing a new speedo, fuel gauge, heater core, backup light switch, tail light lenses, hazard light switch (never had one), hooking up the radio, finxing the windshield washer fluid system (we don't use that stuff here in the desert) and have already installed the towing light wiring harness. Oh, and she's got a good set of tires on her also.

I'm just more concerned about the a/t. I've done lots of towing over the years, but never a car/car flat tow combo. It's all involved a larger truck w/some sort of trailer.

Tow hitch ... well, since no one makes anything for the car ... I found a welder in Vegas that specializes in custom hitches. He's welding mounting brackets to the car, so that a standardized setup can easily attach. He's also doing the brackets for the CRX.

Looks like someone mis-read the weight on the CRX. It weighs approx 1000 lbs LESS than the Barracuda. Barracuda weighs in at appox 2800 lbs and the CRX weighs in at approx 1750 lbs.

As others all said, add the trans cooler.

I know that hoover dam backup well. Before the bridge I used to get stuck in it coming home from Kingman. 2 to 3 hours from milepost 6 on the AZ side to the Hacienda on the NV side. Hard on stuff to be sure.

Sorry to see such a nice early A leave the area.

B.

I just looked up prices for the a/t cooler ... prices aren't bad. I'll see if I can get lift access from my welder (he offered, so I'll coordinate with him) & get her done.

The Hoover Dam bypass bridge is sooo much better!

Here in Vegas, I've heard rumor that there may be another early A-body running around, but in 4+ years here, I've never seen it. So, there's a very good chance the I'll be leaving Vegas with the only early model Cuda. Most people here don't even know what the car is (I always laugh when they ask if it's a Mustang).

As for why I'm leaving ... Vegas is not a place that appreciates smart people. Sad, but true (esp in the job market). So, I'm heading to Savannah for law school ... with a full scholarship. It'd be silly to pass that up.

I assume from your statements that you are using a towbar? And I assume you have checked, and that a CRX can be safely flat towed, that is, safe for the transmission/ drivetrain?

What I would be concerned with is STOPPING. Visualize a panic stop. You now have a car PUSHING you as you try and stop, and as the tow car dives forward, it begins to UNLOAD the rear wheels and lose traction. If the towed car begins to get the least bit out of line (jacknife) it can either turn the tow car sideways, or in worst case, the towed car can "walk" up over the tow bar, or worse, push the tow bar up on the tow car end and lift the rear of the front car further off.

In other words, be damn careful. Anyone that thinks a towbar is "safe" is fooling themselves. Good trailers with brakes are bad enough.

But it gets worse. When Ralph said "unsafe at any speed" this is what he should have meant:

[ame="http://www.viddler.com/v/49972a74"]"Volkswagen Beetle with Campervan trailer" - Videos - Viddler@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/49972a74@@AMEPARAM@@49972a74[/ame]

What kind of rear shocks/springs do you have? I have a set of these which are labelled for towing/hauling for our cars.
MONROE Part # 58496 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting; Sold In Pairs
For Towing & Hauling; Rear

I would sell em to ya if you need, as they dont have much mileage on em and I will be replacing them with edelbrocks soon.

Good luck with the move!

Where to start. First off, Ralph Nader was an idiot. Apparently you hadn't heard, but GM eventually sued him an WON because his claims were baseless.

Next, I don't particularilly appreciate someone making an assumption that I haven't done my homework or am otherwise clueless. I was requesting information about the 904's towing capabilities & concern areas.

But, to address the rather condescending post by 67dart273:

This is not my 1st choice in how to get the cars to the east coast, but it's what I am stuck with. If you're asking the question about the CRX & making all the comments about towing (to someone that has clearly stated they've done quite a bit of towing over the years, but with different setups), makes me wonder. I'm not even sure you know what a CRX is (for clarification, it's a fwd 2 seater by Honda, weighs 2/3rds of what the Barracuda does) ... and I happened to convert it from an a/t to a 5-speed (yes, on my own) just in case I ended up needing to do this. So yes, it will be fine.

Really, please offer helpful commentary. Just because I'm new on the forum or because I happen to be female does not mean I am clueless. Your post comes across asextremely condescending.

Hi 65Valiant310 -
I have adjustable air shocks in back w/factory leaf springs, so I'm pretty much all set. I had checked, as I'd originally planned to use a car dolly with the CRX & the shop I'm using explained that the car dolly would put more downward weight on the Barracuda than doing a flat tow with a towbar. Thank you for the offer though!

Sounds like you did your homework....should be fine...I would recommend a tranny cooler though...also may want to check state laws and map out your journey to Georgia accordingly...I think in some states it is illegal to flat tow????

This has nothing relevant to 66cudagirl 's towing situation but It made me think of this video I had seen on the internet years ago....so I dug it up....LMAO

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilKq7WsuzMU"]Small car, big camper - YouTube[/ame]

66CudaGirl, what type of radiator are you using? Got any pics of it?
I have a 318 also so was curious about the lower outlet.

I just looked up prices for the a/t cooler ... prices aren't bad. I'll see if I can get lift access from my welder (he offered, so I'll coordinate with him) & get her done.

The Hoover Dam bypass bridge is sooo much better!

Here in Vegas, I've heard rumor that there may be another early A-body running around, but in 4+ years here, I've never seen it. So, there's a very good chance the I'll be leaving Vegas with the only early model Cuda. Most people here don't even know what the car is (I always laugh when they ask if it's a Mustang).

As for why I'm leaving ... Vegas is not a place that appreciates smart people. Sad, but true (esp in the job market). So, I'm heading to Savannah for law school ... with a full scholarship. It'd be silly to pass that up.

Adding the trans cooler is a simple job. You can do it in the driveway. The connections are at the bottom of the radiator, and the cooler does not need to be huge. Run a reasonable one in series with the existing cooler in the radiator.

My '65 Barracuda rolls around town, you just have not seen it. Needs paint, that is why I asked about yours. +.060 318 & a 727 trans, lots of fun. Can't park it in lot without finding a note or a live bozo when I get back. Couple of weeks ago in the lot at Fry's I came back to a log note explaining how I should sell the car (to them) because I was not taking care of it...

Good luck with your studies.

B.

+5 for adding a tranny cooler... I took my '70 Duster with a fresh 360/904 on a 7-hour road trip through the mountains to Telluride, CO and was very glad I added a tranny cooler right before I left. The trans shifted noticeably quicker on the road than with just the factory cooler, no doubt to the much lower fluid temps. Your transmission will thank you, it is a very worthwhile upgrade ESPECIALLY for towing or lots of driving up hills. Also if you ever add a stall converter an auxiliary cooler is crucial to keep it from overheating.

I used one of these, installed it myself too:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13504/

Next, I don't particularilly appreciate someone making an assumption that I haven't done my homework or am otherwise clueless. I was requesting information about the 904's towing capabilities & concern areas.

Really, please offer helpful commentary. Just because I'm new on the forum or because I happen to be female does not mean I am clueless. Your post comes across asextremely condescending.

Chill out, please. I don't think he was trying to belittle you. There are several females on the site, that are very knowlegeable about vehicles, and do their own work. As you are new to the site,and your amount of expertise was unknown.
Wouldn't you rather get too much info, that you can sort through, then not enough. I know I would.
Be safe, and have a good trip.

Where to start. First off, Ralph Nader was an idiot. Apparently you hadn't heard, but GM eventually sued him an WON because his claims were baseless.

This is not my 1st choice in how to get the cars to the east coast, but it's what I am stuck with. If you're asking the question about the CRX & making all the comments about towing (to someone that has clearly stated they've done quite a bit of towing over the years, but with different setups), makes me wonder. I'm not even sure you know what a CRX is (for clarification, it's a fwd 2 seater by Honda, weighs 2/3rds of what the Barracuda does) ... and I happened to convert it from an a/t to a 5-speed (yes, on my own) just in case I ended up needing to do this. So yes, it will be fine.

You asked for a little advise.If you already had all the answers,why ask the question? To say someone is condecending for trying to offer assistance isn't cool.The advise that was offered to you would have been offere to anyone on this site that posed the question you asked.

Thanks guys ... I'll be getting the trans cooler tomorrow. (I'd been considering one for a while anyhow) I've got the heater core out right now & that will be in at the same time, so we all know what I'll be doing this weekend ... dash re-assembly & trans cooler install. Pretty sure I can handle that. :glasses7:

For those that are curious, I do lots and lots of research ... flat towing in not "illegal" in ANY state. Each state has its own requirements, primarily based on weight of vehicle towed. Some require brake hookups, safety chains in addition to the bar, some require lights, fire extinguishers and flares/signage. What I believe people are referring to with claims of flat towing be illegal is when it is done using ONLY a strap or chains (which, in my humble opinion, is just plain stupid). :-k

So, I'm covered, I'll have double sets of safety chains, magnetic lights, a fire extinguisher, flares, spare parts, etc ... and the brackets will be welded to both cars, for saftey and easy removal of towing equipment later on.

For those interested in state requirements, here are two very helpful links. Also, the notes on NV for licensing requirements are incomplete, as a Class C license allows for towing of a vehicle UNDER 10,000 lbs without any add'l endorsements (it's printed on the back of the license).
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

BTW, for those that may actually be curious ... regarding Nader:

Research wasn't enough for me. I owned a '62 Corvair for 7 or 8 years - I speak form actual experience. I just had to find out for myself what all the hype was about. Worst issue I had was when a tire installer didn't bother to look up appropriate tire pressures ... and that's part of his job. Aside from that, it was one of the best handling, most reliable cars I'd ever owned (and I've had quite a few over the years).

How much more of an idiot was Nader? The Corvair was set to be discontinued by GM in 65 or 66. As a result of Nader & all the publicity, they continued producing the car through 1969 ... so much for Nader killing the Corvair.

... just some trivia

Looks like you have done your home work and are smart enough not to drive 70 mph towing. I would say you got it covered. Congrats on getting full ride into law school ( try not to be one of those A$$hole lawyers with stupid lawsuits). Most people your age don't know who Nader is. I thought old guys like me are the only one that know he is a dumba$$. Friend of mine in high school had a 65 and it would go around corners. What a blast we had. Have a safe trip.

-
Back