TQ questions

-

volaredon

Reaction score
I have 4 TQs here. 2 are the same as each other, and 1 each of 2 more different numbered versions. I'm wanting to know what difference there would be if all are in equal condition how they'd run on a mild 318. (Don't shoot me, but besides a mild cam that will include a set of 302 heads and a "regular" performer because that's what I have.) Cruiser, not racer, in 78 b body.

The 2 that are the same are number 9265S.
I believe they were originally spec'd for an 80 360 in a truck. (For some reason I'm thinking more specifically ramcharger)
Probably 12-15 years ago I sent both of them off to demon sizzler because they had slop in the throttle shafts.
I don't remember what I was planning on using them for, think it was my 83 D250 with a magnum head swapped 318. I ended up with an Edelbrock/AFB on that one. They were sent out, and went into the attic to collect dust when they got back. I haven't run them at all since.

They have throttle kicker solenoids on them, as that's what the curb idle screw butts against.
Id be removing the solenoid and making a sheet metal L bracket for the idle screw to adjust against.
These also have a solenoid of some sort hanging off the air horn at the back of the carb, above the PVC nipple. I don't know what that is, or whether I can just leave it unplugged or if I did utilize it would it have to be 12v constantly with the key in or switched somehow.
I'll add pix and details on the other 2 in another post.

IMG_20240218_143840691.jpg

IMG_20240218_143806261_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Next up is a 9080S. I don't know what the original application might be on this one. Id appreciate it if someone out there who knows would post that info. I don't know where I got this one, I've never been inside it nor seen it run on anything.
It has the same style bellcrank as the first 2, it would need an idle kicker for the idle speed screw to butt up to, or some kind of home made bracket in its place. No solenoid on the back but a 3 bolt flange with a diaphragm behind that with a vacuum nipple. Would it have to be hooked up for the carb to function? To what? Powered? Manifold vacuum? Switched? Better if capped off?

IMG_20240218_143931712.jpg

IMG_20240218_143944348_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_143949291.jpg

Then I have 1 more. Found at garage sale or swap meet, I've never run this one either or had apart.
Very clean, I wouldn't be surprised if it's only dirty from sitting and maybe never ran on an engine? I have no idea.
But it's a 9811s, I bought it for this same car because it was cheap, and because I liked the idea of it having its own choke dial self contained, I wouldn't have to worry about if a divorced choke would work with the performer intake as I would if I was gonna run one of the other 3 TQs that I have.... It's the only one that wouldn't need either an idle kicker or some kind of bracket made in its place, it has both curb idle and fast idle screws on the other side right next to each other. No electronics of any kind hanging off of this one. I think it's an aftermarket version of the TQ.
Amongst the 4 TQs I have, the first 2 that were sent thru demon sizzler, he was supposed to have changed the jets and/or metering rods but I don't know what he did or what it went from, or "to". He used to advertise that he'd run them and test them out before he would return them. But they've never been run since I got them back.
On the 9080s and the 9811s I can only assume they're stock as manufactured as far as jets and such.
So which one should I try first?
Here's the 9811

IMG_20240218_144044596.jpg

IMG_20240218_144055861_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_144102096.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a couple of Edelbrock/AFBs here to choose from as well .. one is a 500, the other one is 600/625 cfm. But I've had issues with running those with percolating when I shut them off hot. Not these 2 particular carbs (I've never run them) but I have run several of that series carbs// and besides that one issue , I like the way they run. I have recently gotten a couple of (I think they're 1/2" thick) phenolic plastic spacers/insulators in case I decide to run one of those on this car.
Which is why I'm leaning towards putting one of my TQs on this car. I haven't played with a TQ in some time, when I last did they were on stockish engines (like this one will be) but in their original application unlike this one. Though I know that if it was factory 4bbl it would have been a TQ

Last edited:
I’d use the 9080. The front of it has the altitude compensator.
You can simply plug that and the purge port and leave open the top vent port.
The electric choke model has a bunch of emissions vacuum ports to plug up which I don’t like much at all.
The first two are emissions carbs. The pig tail at the rear is for emissions. To many vacuum ports to plug.

The more you have to plug up the more you have to work around how the carb was set up to run. They all can be made to work but how well they work is another story.

I can offer a few bits of info but I never got Thermoquads figured out for my purposes.

The 9811 is an aftermarket performance version that wasn't available as OEM on any cars or trucks. That "family" includes 9800, 9801, 9810 & 9811. Depending on the overall condition, that may be the best one to build. More knowledgeable people can offer more or better advice.

https://www.retrorarities.com/images/CarterThermoquadInformation.pdf

The electric choke model is the "performance" model, was an aftermarket carb.
Anyone know what the 9080 was originally used on?
The 2 alike that I have had supposedly been recalibrated to be less "smoggy" when demon sizzler had them, that and to rebush the throttle body were the 2 reasons I sent them to him in the first place. Id be interested in what that solenoid hanging off the back was for. And how mandatory it is/was to be hooked up, and to what?
The one with the altitude comp I've found out is probably a 1977 model but I don't know off of what. I've seen pix of some that have a block off plate where the altitude comp is on that carb, was wondering if I could do the same thing with that rear mount solenoid.

The 9080 came on any 1977 passenger car that could be ordered with a 440 high performance engine and automatic transmission. It was not available on California cars because it did not meet California emission standards.

The electric choke TQ model you have is the emissions rated unit.
EGR port included. It is also a MoPar throttle arm unit.

The one pictured below (9800) has no EGR and 1 less vacuum port.
This is the Chevrolet throttle arm unit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A 9801s electric choke MoPar arm, no EGR port.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Notice the throttle arms and the vacuum ports!

No EGR valve port, no extra vacuum port on the base.
Just the PVC, part time and full time vacuum ports.
The rear of the carbs show ether an extra full time vacuum port or a power brake booster port.

These are the over the counter TQ’s you would rather have.
Not the emissions rated extra vacuum port w/an EGR valve port.

Though I’m sure that carb will perform quite well.

I would not use any TQ that has white corrosion on the outside.....because it will most likely have corrosion in internal passages that cannot be seen or accessed....causing 'weird' problems in operation.

I would use the 98XX.

The 9080 might be off a BB Ford. 9085, 9071 were used on Aussie Fords. These carbs were also used on Inter trucks.
9080 had 098 pri jets, 137 sec jets, 2179 rods 074/066/042

I'm not worried about the extra EGR port, a vacuum cap will fix that. How would it be set up internally otherwise? Besides the extra port would it be set up the same as the version without that port?
Either way I will not be using EGR. The intake that I have here isn't set up for it, and I've had the original EGR blocked on the original 2bbl intake blocked for years as it is.
I did see that info about 77 440 somewhere else after I posted this thread. I had no idea they had HP 440s as late as 77.

What is that solenoid for, on the back of the 1st carb I asked about?

It's a altitude compensator, a secondary bowl
Vent solenoid that opens as the altitude increases
IIRC it was on California cars, maybe more
I wouldn't assume that any of the carbs have not had their jets or rods changed
More specifically than an emissions item?

Last edited:
I would use the 9811s. It is calibrated for a 318. It should work the best with your combination. It has ported vacuum port for the distributor. Plug everything but PCV, vent tube, and distributor. I tend to use the KISS principle, so I would not use the 9265s there is too much complication there. The 9080s does not have ported vacuum and is calibrated for a big block.

Huh/ when I saw what I did about the 9080 I didn't see that it's a lean burn model.
The 9265s were listed as a federal carb, both came from junked vehicles in Illinois, nowhere near mountains/ hi altitude nor California.
And yeah/ everything will be plugged except for the vac advance port, the PCV, and I "might" hook up the charcoal canister l, usually I don't.
I have what I have, I'm definitely wanting to use what I have.
At the time I had demon sizzler go thru the 9265s "that" was was all I had, but I sold the truck that I wanted to use one of those on, have kicked myself for that ever since, but my son bought it back last year from my cousin and transplanted it's engine into a c body wagon.
I wouldn't have sent those carbs out anywhere if the throttle shafts didn't need rebushed.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the extra EGR port, a vacuum cap will fix that. How would it be set up internally otherwise? Besides the extra port would it be set up the same as the version without that port?
Either way I will not be using EGR. The intake that I have here isn't set up for it, and I've had the original EGR blocked on the original 2bbl intake blocked for years as it is.
I did see that info about 77 440 somewhere else after I posted this thread. I had no idea they had HP 440s as late as 77.
1978 was the last year for OEM Mopar big blocks!

Except for a few motor homes. I know for sure that you could get a new one at least til 81,with a 440.

Ok I figured it out. It's just the bowl vent solenoid, nothing crazy there.
From what I see nothing there about it doing any kind of altitude compensation.
I believe that altitude comp( if equipped) was on the front in the area where the 9080 has the idle comp.
I found a Mopar technical book from 82 on that year's TQ's. Broken up by car version and truck versions. Would like to possibly find the same type of book on the 9080 I have ('77) and the other pair that I have ('80)

Last edited:
Yes, altitude idle compensator upfront.

-
Back