trailer queen

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
is it right to move a car around on a trailor only or does that take away the cars realness i like one you can drive instead of one thats so pretty all you can do is look at it, look at my car is nowhere near either status but i do get decent comments but i cant understand a car i cant go anywhere or get on it when i want i guess to each his or her own heck i just got through cleaning up dog puke in my car lol

My challenger I tow out of town because it's so perfect I don't want stone chips,etc on it.
I drive it around my own town and around at other out of town events.

My barracuda I tow out of town simply because,although fun to drive,it's not that pleasant a car to spend any time in.Longest run I've taken it is abt 80 miles.

The 72 Dart Swinger I'm building atm is to be an allrounder that could be used as a daily,highway runner,or anything else that is expected of 99% of the cars on the road.

That about sums it up!! Some cars are too nice to drive, some cars are too uncomfortable to drive for long.

My car is stored in a garage at the end of a 1/4 mile gravel road. I'm not going to worry about making it perfect, I want a fun car that I'm not afraid to drive!!!

Like you said, each to his own, But I would rather see someone at least drive them around where they live. I only trailer my 71 Scamp to the drag strip and to anyplace thats over 60 miles away. now my 65 Dart, I drive it anywhere.

Attachments

• carlisle Scamp2.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 251
I drive mine locally but trailer it if it's more than about 10 miles, unless I can stay on side streets. Having 4:88 gears and needing to run $ 4.50/gal aviaton fuel means extended highway operation is out of the question...

I drive mine on the street not too much any more though,too many idiots out there and wayyyyy too much invested in it for one of them to possibly hit it,i trailer it to the track 4.30's aren't too pleasant on the highway..As for taking the realnest out of the car because i trailer it lol...

I drive it everywhere.Paint is not that great so I don't mind a little chip here n there. I get a lot more thrill out of driving it than I do looking at it. Drive that sucker,hell,mash it ,too! 8)

I love to look at the spotless trailer queen cars and drool over all the little things they have detailed. It just blows my mind at some of the stuff they do I mean I have seeing one with chrome rotors :dontknow:

I also think its cool to see the cars at shows with sings on them saying drove 2 hours to get here or X amount of miles and are in great shape not spot less but great shape.

But me personally I won't own it if I can't drive it. If you see me 2 miles from home or 300 miles from home and I'm in my dart it only got there one way. That's with me behind the wheel driving it.

i understand taking it to the track on a trailer, but worrying about rock chips. come on people. i dont get it.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 148
I trailer mine to out of town shows.

Anybody want to drive drive my Dart from Jax,Fl to El Paso,Tx for a car show?
Leave Fri. morning to be in El Paso Sat AM
Be back at work Monday morning. 'bout 1450 miles each way.

I have a friend that has a mint 57 chevy. I'm not joking around when I say mint.

Ok he doesn't trailer it anywhere and he goes pretty far out to shows and wins. He has to argue with the judges that he indeed drove the car there. He has magnet sticker (like refrigerator magnetic stickers ) cut precisely to fit his fender wells. When he gets where he is going he removes them. Sometimes he forgets to remove them before judging. He has 55 also.

Some cars are not geared to be driven long distances on the highway, for that reason some of us need to trailer them.

When it takes many years to restore a car all you want to do is drive it every chance you get.
The first scratches and rock chips are shockers but they soon become things that give it character- like the windshield guy's drill bit breaking causing the drill chuck's teeth to put two swirled gouges in my paint.

To each their own, but I don't understand the high dollar trophy seekers that plop $100-k into a car that they can't enjoy that they stress out about nervously and are miserable while they frantically wipe down their car and won't talk to any body or have fun as if getting another trophy is their only goal in life.
I mean, yeah, if it's that nice go ahead and tow it, shine, it be proud of it, but for the love of pete-freaking smile and say hello to people that compliment your car you sick, twisted, nervous wreck.

I also don't want to risk my original numbers matching standard bore 340 driving it to a car show 1450 miles..at 10mpg on premium.
Don't forget a stock bench seat that kills my back after 100 miles and the power steering that will switch lanes if you breathe on the wheel, etc, etc.
And don't get me started on the fools that we have to share the road with.

Some people build cars just to show not to drive and some build cars just to race so they cant be driven either, its an art to some and a hobby to others.

Both.

Drive to local cruises...I can go 130 -150 round trip and do frequently.
Tow to long distance events for security and saving GAS.

When I get it out I make sure to drive it.....get it out, get it warm then throw it around like it's meant to be.

I guess If I had a follower vehicle with tools, tow bar, gas, extra hand, etc then I would try to go on a long distance cruise to a destination.....200+ miles.

I think most people tow to preserve the ride for another day and to have a portable garage....and there is nothing wrong with that.

Mop

Oh....and to show what I mean.....here is where one of those follower vehicles that would have come in handy..

This was the end to a planned 80 mile cruise a few weeks ago. It ended 25 miles into it when I blew up my flex plate coming on to I-29......2-3rd gear shift hooked up and booom!

$130 tow later and my weekend was done.:pale::pale:

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3457.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 66
I can understand towing it if you are going a long distance but not towing it everywhere you go. If you are into towing the car everywhere and never driving it, building a model car is cheaper and you get the same effect if you are good at detailing a model.

I love driving my car, but anything over 100 miles, the love affair gets old quick.
I don't own a trailer, so I'm pretty limited to where I'll go for a show. But there are a few I would be at if I did have one. Especially down south.
The older I get, the more important the ride is someplace. I can't stand to ride in my sons car anymore and it's a 94 Duster.

-
Back