• Type F

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • +4

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
-

Futzy1

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up all the fluid changes on my 73 dart. It's a 225 slant with a 904.

Question one: the service manual says dexron 1 which . . . you know. . . doesn't exist anymore. I did a little research that said dex/merc is okay to use. Is this right???

Question two: I'm doing a change not a flush. I know this only replaces about half the fluid, and I have no idea what's in there now. Will it cause a problem if I mix two types of fluid??

Thanks as always.

use Dex/merc, been in my trans for 15 years pushing 400hp and hi stall converter. no problems!!

been using wally world type f for years....use what ever you want...the transmission can not read the label....

Are you draining the torque converter or just the pan?
If it's just the pan you're not changing much fluid, so just use whatever is already in there. Dex/merc compatible most likely.

Are you draining the torque converter or just the pan?
If it's just the pan you're not changing much fluid, so just use whatever is already in there. Dex/merc compatible most likely
I had only planned on dropping the pan. That's why I was wondering about mixing.

Dex/Merc is the direct replacement for all the Dexron's. I would drain the torque converter as well.

Mopar spec. ATF+4 in all torqueflight units, factory replacement for dex, retaining a higher friction modifier like type F but takes heat better so fluid does not break down as fast as dex or type F.
Lon;

Dex/Merc is NOT the same as Dexron. Period. You can run either Dexron III, Dexron VI or as stated ATF+4.

Some people do run type F to help firm up shifts. I prefer to firm up shifts using the correct parts for the job.

The Torqueflite will actually run on motor oil. There was an LEO agency back in the the 60s in California that stated their police units had to use the same transmission fluid as the engine for simplicity's sake. So they went with Chrysler products, because the Torqueflite could run on 30 weight motor oil.

They will probably run on pretty much anything.

I'm just finishing up all the fluid changes on my 73 dart. It's a 225 slant with a 904.

Question one: the service manual says dexron 1 which . . . you know. . . doesn't exist anymore. I did a little research that said dex/merc is okay to use. Is this right???

Question two: I'm doing a change not a flush. I know this only replaces about half the fluid, and I have no idea what's in there now. Will it cause a problem if I mix two types of fluid??

Thanks as always.
Technically, the two types are not mixing. The transmission uses the different fluids separately. Same with different viscosity motor oils. They just use it.

Dex VI would be the best choice, but again, unless you drain the entire system you're not doing all that much. If you don't know exactly what's in it then just go with Dex/Merc for comparability sake.

The torque converter is behind the transmission inspection plate. If you're lucky you have a separate piece that's 2 bolts which you can remove which will allow access to the torque converter. Depending on what torque converter you have it may or may not have a drain plug. If your inspection plate is 1 solid piece you have to remove the entire thing.

Oh man, I really kicked a bee hive here. Didn't I?

Been around to see that exact bee hive kicked a bunch of times.:D
The truth is you could literally use canola oil as already mentioned, so any standard Dexron type ATF will be just fine.
BTW, some converters have a drain plug and some don't, so the ones that do can be drained.
Refilling procedure is the same mostly, but I prefer to pour in about 4 quarts before ever starting it so it has plenty to refill the converter right away.
Then finish filling with it running.

Unless you have the modified manual valve in the trans you want to check it running in neutral.

Not gonna lie, sounds a little over my head, but hey, so was everything else automotive related until I did it. I'll check it out. I believe mine has a drain plug.

Not gonna lie, sounds a little over my head, but hey, so was everything else automotive related until I did it. I'll check it out. I believe mine has a drain plug.

Ah it's not a big deal.
The hardest part of the whole job is finding the drain plug on the converter.
(hint, remote starter switches are nice):D
If you are going to change the filter you might want to go ahead and get the metal impregnated rubber gasket as they seal WAY more reliably than the cork or fiber gaskets (plus they can be reused over and over again)

This is a Ford because it was the best in car pic, but the same thing you'll be looking for.

torqueconverter-drain.jpg

Last edited:
And to refill I just add some fluid, run in neutral, and add more?

-
Back