Transmission leaking

-

Dartsun

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
Hi all, my 65 Dart GT 273 904 auto just started gushing fluid out of the front of the transmission. It’s bad enough to make a stream anywhere I go. The torque converter go bad? Front seal? Thanks Dustin
73183211-B311-4580-AC4C-6A3DCEE3011B.jpeg

Front seal in my 67 904... Sitting parked and off, only 1 or 2 drops. Start it up and get a steady drip drip drip.
The whole story... The selector shaft seal started leaking a few months earlier. I went to the trouble of dropping pan and valve body to replace that seal. When front seal started leaking I thought, "should have known". After all, all the seals, etc.., are the same age. Best plan would have been drop the trans and renew it. That still needs to be done today. The car hasn't been moved since late 2018. One more thing... IF the neck on the torque converter is worn where the seal runs on it, You can take the spring out of the seal, take it apart and shorten it 1/8 inch. Put it back together and you've reduced its inside diameter 1/16". Good luck with it.

Gushing...............Maybe the pump vent is blocked. I would think that a worn seal would start leaking and get progressively worse?

Gushing wild be overkill, it is leaving a steady stream on the ground when driving, and burning on the exhaust. I should have said the transmission shifts and drives as usual besides the leak.

I had this same problem in my 727 right after I rebuilt it -- steady stream when driving -- turned out I nicked the front seal when installing it. Replaced the front seal, solved the problem.

Yours may or may not be the same issue.

I had this same problem in my 727 right after I rebuilt it -- steady stream when driving -- turned out I nicked the front seal when installing it. Replaced the front seal, solved the problem.

Yours may or may not be the same issue.
I had swapped the original 273 out with a rebuilt one around 7 years ago and left the transmission In place. Bought a new front seal but didn’t replace it as the old one looked fine. Been driving for about 7 years and maybe 3-4K miles.

It's possible the old one split during the swap, just my opinion. I've also situations where fluid came out of the vent, but that only happened when the transmission was hot.

IMO, when it's out you should replace all seals and clutches, check and set endplays, inspect T/C hub. All you need is a few tools and a bench to get it done and if it's your 1st time just read up on it and look at some videos.

IMO, when it's out you should replace all seals and clutches, check and set endplays, inspect T/C hub. All you need is a few tools and a bench to get it done and if it's your 1st time just read up on it and look at some videos.
Thanks will do. The previous owner kept meticulous records and the transmission lost reverse in 1992. It’s overdue a rebuild. Dustin

There are some really great books on the Torqueflite, I’ll report back with the one I have when rebuilt mine. And as mentioned, some great videos and amazingly helpful folks here at FABO if you have questions.

It’s not that hard if you’ve never done it. Just be clean and organized.

I had a clogged cooler cause fluid to puke out of the vent.

-
Back