Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

-
good looking intake. looks a lot like a victor.

The TF intake is 1/2 inch shorter than the Victor and the plenum is more open. I think the TF intake will flow better than the Victor but I haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• DSC_9533 (Large).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 677
I like the looks of the trick flow but I don't think it would fit under my flat hood.

So do you guys(engine builders) think, with some work, they could be good for 700hp on a pump gas stroker? Or is that a little much?
Maybe opened up to M/W size and or bigger valves?

With a little work they are good for 700 HP on a pump gas 440.

I have a multi-part article running in Mopar Action right now on a 470 inch pump gas engine with Trick Flow heads. That engine is currently making 685 hp with a cast intake. I think I'll end up over 700 hp once I get a ported intake on the engine. I've tried three different roller cams so far in the engine and I might need to switch cams again to take advantage of the ported intake. So yeah, I think 700 hp is possible but I don't think the average Joe is going to hit it unless they copy someone's build. Most people don't try 3 cams, 4 intakes, and 4 carbs on the dyno like I have.

I have a multi-part article running in Mopar Action right now on a 470 inch pump gas engine with Trick Flow heads. That engine is currently making 685 hp with a cast intake. I think I'll end up over 700 hp once I get a ported intake on the engine. I've tried three different roller cams so far in the engine and I might need to switch cams again to take advantage of the ported intake. So yeah, I think 700 hp is possible but I don't think the average Joe is going to hit it unless they copy someone's build. Most people don't try 3 cams, 4 intakes, and 4 carbs on the dyno like I have.

spill the beans w/ us Andy, cam specs, and what they did, which one u liked best .

Andy, Am I wrong to think that maybe the camshaft that made the most power on the dyno
may not be the best choice for a car that might get some (or a lot of) street miles?

I'd bet that right but then again, how much cam are you willing to live with?

I'd bet that right but then again, how much cam are you willing to live with?

There ya go. The big roller in the pump gas 451 stroker with Edelbrock RPM heads that made 787 horsepower was fun on the street, but does that make it good for the street? Idling down Main Street it was good for rattling shop windows and setting off car alarms.

Andy, Am I wrong to think that maybe the camshaft that made the most power on the dyno
may not be the best choice for a car that might get some (or a lot of) street miles?

Well sure, there is always a trade off involved unless you have some modern tricks such as variable valve timing.

But some times the tradeoffs are easy to live with. In my 470 we started with a 271 duration cam which had the best peak numbers but was soft down low. A cam with 261 duration beefed up the bottom end a bunch but only gave up a few hp up top. For a street car i'd go with the 261 cam. A dedicated race car would probably want the 271 cam but only if it launched off the brake at 4500 rpm or higher. A foot brake car might actually be faster with the smaller cam.

Turns out that the smaller cam plus a bigger carb made more power than the big cam with a small carb. So you can play with the combination too. Another variable is the type of carb. We installed a carb with annular boosters and picked up a ton of bottom end torque. So if you run the big cam and the annular booster carb then you get your cake and eat it to kind of thing.

As I suspected, a small shift from the absolute HP configuration might yield 98% of the results in a
notably more livable combination. I think that's what all but the extreme hardcore want. We would
never know where the turnaround point is without the tireless efforts and information sharing available
here. Thanks guys, you know who you are.

Well sure, there is always a trade off involved unless you have some modern tricks such as variable valve timing.

But some times the tradeoffs are easy to live with. In my 470 we started with a 271 duration cam which had the best peak numbers but was soft down low. A cam with 261 duration beefed up the bottom end a bunch but only gave up a few hp up top. For a street car i'd go with the 261 cam. A dedicated race car would probably want the 271 cam but only if it launched off the brake at 4500 rpm or higher. A foot brake car might actually be faster with the smaller cam.

Turns out that the smaller cam plus a bigger carb made more power than the big cam with a small carb. So you can play with the combination too. Another variable is the type of carb. We installed a carb with annular boosters and picked up a ton of bottom end torque. So if you run the big cam and the annular booster carb then you get your cake and eat it to kind of thing.

would you be willing to share the rest of the stats with the 261 cam? perhaps manufacture and grind #?

The small cam I used was an Ultradyne R60 lobe. Single pattern cam with 108 lobe center installed at 104.

I first used the Ultradyne R60 lobe about 30 years ago when I built one of the first 500+ inch BB Mopar engines in the area. Back in those days we had to weld up a factory crank to make a stroker. The R60 cam is a really nice street/strip type of cam. I had a buddy who had one in a high compression 400 in his Duster. That car was a daily driver that ran high 10's.

Did they put that cam out there yet? Known specs?

its on their site. it seems to have a lot more lift for the duration vs other cams.

I dyno tested the Trick Flow intake today on my 470 low deck engine. With a Quick Fuel 1050 carb the engine made 690 hp @ 6500 rpm and 610 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm. Seemed to be a really strong combination. It certainly made more power than any of the other intakes I had tried on this engine.

Attachments

• DSC_9555 (Large).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 405
Here is a shot on the dyno

Attachments

• DSC_9548 (Large).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 443
Swapping on a ported M1 4500 intake with a 1050 Dominator picked the power up to 715 hp @ 6500 rpm.

Attachments

• DSC_9538 (Large).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 374
-
Back