Truck 383 Different than car 383?

-

bluenotefan

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I have an opportunity to buy a 383/727 out of a Dodge truck. From the various reading I've done on FABO I've learned that there is a difference between the 5.7 Hemi found in trucks, and those found in cars. Did the same apply to 383's back in the day, or are the car/truck 383's identical?

From what I've found online so far, it sounds like the car/truck 383's are the same, but I wanted to confirm with the FABO crew.

-Dan

There WAS an early 383 truck engine that was a raised deck engine similar to a 440. Other than those, they are all pretty much the same regarding cores.

That "RB" 383 is a 1 or 2 year only mill from the late 50's IIRC.

There WAS an early 383 truck engine that was a raised deck engine similar to a 440. Other than those, they are all pretty much the same regarding cores.

Thanks StrokerScamp. By "early 383" do you mean the '58-60 RB 383, or a different year?

pretty much the same expect the exhaust manifolds.

Thanks mopar7172. Can you tell me how the manifolds are different, and whether you think the truck manifolds would work better than the car manifolds in an early A?

The exhaust manifolds from a truck will dump out at a different place and angle than a car manifold, although it is a crap shoot whether they will work in a car, my doubts run high that they will work in an A-body!! Geof

I have found sum with double roller timing chains most all of them had high tq.starters.and the cams were for tq.other than that the same ...........Artie

The trans will be stouter with 4-pinion planetary, more clutches and set up with higher line pressure.

Just be careful and avoid the industrial engines like in most motorhomes and such. They are slam different.

truck exhaust mainfolds wont fit in a a-body. u would also need a different oil pan as well& a oil pick up tube. u need a c-body oil pan the numbers are #699 or #187 oil pan for the swap.

-
Back