Trying to figure out the tranny

-

hotairgypsy

Reaction score
Journey continues on this new car of mine...i was under the car for the first time yesterday and got some work to do to get it up to standard...i found these 2 lines all bent up weird going from the tranny to the front so assuming they are to the trans cooler built into the radiator...darn they look terrible and i bet they clank all the time metal to metal...so going to install an aftermarket trans cooler and run new rubber lines so i can tie up and route pretty...also i have no idea what is stabbed in this car...where am i looking on it to get the info to decipher what it is...here is a pic of the pan in case that helps.

20220316_150300.jpg

20220316_153826.jpg

That is a 904 family transmission

upload_2022-3-17_9-53-11.png

upload_2022-3-17_9-53-11.png

Journey continues on this new car of mine...i was under the car for the first time yesterday and got some work to do to get it up to standard...i found these 2 lines all bent up weird going from the tranny to the front so assuming they are to the trans cooler built into the radiator...darn they look terrible and i bet they clank all the time metal to metal...so going to install an aftermarket trans cooler and run new rubber lines so i can tie up and route pretty...also i have no idea what is stabbed in this car...where am i looking on it to get the info to decipher what it is...here is a pic of the pan in case that helps.

View attachment 1715890381

View attachment 1715890382
Those lines are pretty goofy. Who knows what they came off of, could be original, but originally they weren't bent like that. Use metal lines. Rubber isn't all that good. Those headers are going to make it tricky. Just sayin'

Those lines are pretty goofy. Who knows what they came off of, could be original, but originally they weren't bent like that. Use metal lines. Rubber isn't all that good. Those headers are going to make it tricky. Just sayin'
Yes rubber and headers don't mix well use metal you can buy new lines from inline tube little tricky to put on but a little workin and they will work

Yes rubber and headers don't mix well use metal you can buy new lines from inline tube little tricky to put on but a little workin and they will work

i am not doubting you all at all...a year ago i had a 2011 camaro ss i put headers in and did the same trans cooler with rubber lines and never had an issue...when i route them i keep them away from the headers as far as possible...do you all still avoid them?

i am not doubting you all at all...a year ago i had a 2011 camaro ss i put headers in and did the same trans cooler with rubber lines and never had an issue...when i route them i keep them away from the headers as far as possible...do you all still avoid them?
Yes. I don't even like using rubber on the ends.

Whatever you do DON'T "just" run an aftermarket cooler by itself. Those are a great idea but NOT as a standalone. You still need to go thru the built in one,
I've tried a standalone one"only" more than once over the years. Everything single time I ended up with a fried trans very soon afterwards.

Don't do what I did and try the nylon braided hose for your cooler lines. Mine moved and ended up against the header, caused some problems. Follow the previous advice and stick with steel lines.

05857E3B-48BF-4106-8934-0D59E32F81BB.jpeg

Those line should be suspended from the oilpan rails, and from the Bellhouse, in such a way that they won't vibrate and rub a hole in themselves; and NOT touching the headers, or anything else for that matter, with about an inch of clearance.
If it was me I'd bend my own; I doubt if you will find any stock ones to fit any better than what you got. Flaring the ends is only a PITA when you forget to first install the nuts. lol

Those line should be suspended from the oilpan rails, and from the Bellhouse, in such a way that they won't vibrate and rub a hole in themselves; and NOT touching the headers, or anything else for that matter, with about an inch of clearance.
If it was me I'd bend my own; I doubt if you will find any stock ones to fit any better than what you got. Flaring the ends is only a PITA when you forget to first install the nuts. lol
Yep, yep, and Yep! Ma Mopar had a Factory "S" clip to separate em, w/o Rubbin'

Man those headers look tight to the pan area in that photo. I vote for metal lines also. You may have to go up next to block and then down again for good clearance. A lot of trial & error to bend, but i'ts worth the effort to get them right.

-
Back