Tubular Lower Control Arm Thread

-
This is great stuff guys,I admire your efforts and skill. Once all the details are worked out I look forward to purchasing for my duster. I hope there are future plans for a B body kit as my 66 coronet needs some front end help.

Got mine today.Thanks John

Attachments

• DSC03523.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 894
i like the hoops with the frame mounting plates,,cant tell in the pics but i would think tieing the hooops to the factory upper shock mount would be the ticket,,

i like the hoops with the frame mounting plates,,cant tell in the pics but i would think tieing the hooops to the factory upper shock mount would be the ticket,,

You are correct. A guy could either grind out the factory shock mount or make tabs to weld them to the factory shock mount. Coilover brackets could even be welded to these like in the MM pic.

im no engineer,,,but i would think welding the hoops to the upper shock mount,,and either running a shock with a stud mount on the top,,,would be stronger,,,or make an adapter from stud to eye mount, and mount the shock in the factory tower,,,

my car has been set up like this for 15 ish years,,,way before any one was making any front end kits,,, i currently use a stud mount coil over,,,,but i may convert the top to an eye mount,,and make a stud adapter,,to gain a little height,, i would like the hoops you have or are showing,, they are way beefier then mine ide be intrested in a pair,,,

im no engineer,,,but i would think welding the hoops to the upper shock mount,,and either running a shock with a stud mount on the top,,,would be stronger,,,or make an adapter from stud to eye mount, and mount the shock in the factory tower,,,

my car has been set up like this for 15 ish years,,,way before any one was making any front end kits,,, i currently use a stud mount coil over,,,,but i may convert the top to an eye mount,,and make a stud adapter,,to gain a little height,, i would like the hoops you have or are showing,, they are way beefier then mine ide be intrested in a pair,,,

I am currently working on a stud to eye bolt(thru bolt) adapter and should have one in a few days. I plan to have one on my display at the MATS also. I have made the top portion which is a turned down piece of aluminum stock and looks really nice. I am just working on the base now. I will post a pic on here once they are done. They will be a cheap alternative to what is out there now. PM me and lets make a deal.

This is great stuff guys,I admire your efforts and skill. Once all the details are worked out I look forward to purchasing for my duster. I hope there are future plans for a B body kit as my 66 coronet needs some front end help.

Thanks. Once I get this stuff going and if I ever get caught up I plan on doing the E Body stuff next. A buddy of mine went to an Alterkation on his 72 Cuda and I have his K member and LCA's. No plans for the Bbodies yet.

Can't wait to see the stud to eye mount, have you figured out the length of the shocks yet.

Can't wait to see the stud to eye mount, have you figured out the length of the shocks yet.

I changed my design yesterday again. The part that will show in the engine bay will be 3/4" thick 6061 Aluminum turned in the lathe with 7/16" stainless steel hardware. It is pretty. The part in the inner fender will be a fabbed up mild steel coilover bracket that is designed to be functional. I should have the first one done in a couple of days. I'm just waiting on the coilover bracket to get here. Pricing will be shockingly low. :D

Once I get my first one done, then I can figure coilover length with this setup.

Attachments

• Adapter top.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 801
sounds like you have a lot of great things comming ,,,,post some pics of the adapter mount,,,and ill see if it will work in my situation,,also are you making the hoops??? and if so how do they attach to the upper shock tower??

I changed my design yesterday again. The part that will show in the engine bay will be 3/4" thick 6061 Aluminum turned in the lathe with 7/16" stainless steel hardware. It is pretty. The part in the inner fender will be a fabbed up mild steel coilover bracket that is designed to be functional. I should have the first one done in a couple of days. I'm just waiting on the coilover bracket to get here. Pricing will be shockingly low. :D

Once I get my first one done, then I can figure coilover length with this setup.

Are you making it with a centering shoulder to keep it from moving all around in that big arse hole in the fender well.

sounds like you have a lot of great things comming ,,,,post some pics of the adapter mount,,,and ill see if it will work in my situation,,also are you making the hoops??? and if so how do they attach to the upper shock tower??

I will keep pics coming. I am making the hoops, pm me for pricing. The top of the hoop will either have to be recessed into the factory shock mount or I could send tabs that will weld on each side of the factory shock mount. To me the tabs would be better and they could be tacked removed then fully weld the tabs to the tube replace then there should be enough room to weld the tabs in place.

Why not support it with a strut tower brace, tied into the firewall?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-5227/
David

We have talked about this before. The problem is that there are so many different engine combinations out there. Intakes and air cleaners would be a Pita to clear and make everyone happy. The J bars that I make are another solution to the problem if they are tied into the factory shock mounts, but not everyone wants bars in the engine bay.

Here are the adapters that I came up with. Frank is getting the first set.

Attachments

• Adapters.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 689
  • Adapter top.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 680
  • Adapter bottom.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 711
Worked on bending up some coilover/shock hoops. I haven't decided if a second bar is needed to triangulate everything. It is very similar to the one in the MM article, but I think the landings that wrap around the frame rails should be wider to help spread the load.

Haven't been in here in a while.

John how does that address the rotational forces applied to the frame rail that a coil over will apply.

Love the adaptor's John! Everything you touch look's profesional. BTW I picked up my J bars and rad support the other day. Everything looks just grand! I'll get some trial fitment pick's up soon in my thread.

Haven't been in here in a while.

John how does that address the rotational forces applied to the frame rail that a coil over will apply.

I think the best possible solution would be using the J Bars and tying into the upper shock mount. That is my next project. Tying everything together sand putting together a package deal. The coilover hoops should offer support, but that is really yet to be seen. I plan on running the hoops on my Barracuda or dart to do some real testing.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Love the adaptor's John! Everything you touch look's profesional. BTW I picked up my J bars and rad support the other day. Everything looks just grand! I'll get some trial fitment pick's up soon in my thread.

That's good to hear Paul.

A little eye candy for you. I did have to clearance the upper and lower coilover mounts to get the clear the Strange Engineering Coilovers, but only took a couple of minutes. I clearanced where my finger is pointing.

Attachments

• Mount lower clearance.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 657
  • Mount upper clearance.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 668
  • Mock K.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 666
-
Back