Tubular Lower Control Arm Thread

-
Guys these will officially be going on sale once Louis gets everything mocked up with coilovers. I am building more right now.

Hey--Check out tshell's new post on upper NO-WELD shock mount,It was just posted--Steve

Just got mine today and will be mocking them up on my 66 Dart soon. Just so there is no confusion .... I got these early, knowing I will have to locate and weld on the shock mount myself. Badart told me they will be sold with the mounts fully welded. ............................ They look awesome !
lowerarms.png

Just got mine today and will be mocking them up on my 66 Dart soon. Just so there is no confusion .... I got these early, knowing I will have to locate and weld on the shock mount myself. Badart told me they will be sold with the mounts fully welded. ............................ They look awesome !
lowerarms.png

Outstanding. Glad you got them alright and keep us informed of how it goes together on the early K. :cheers:

Shoot at this pace both of you guys may finish before me. I am so busy at work it is crazy right now. No time for anything lately.

Don't know I got a couple of weeks to go before I have all the other goodies to go along with these.

Ok guys here is a question to go along with these,I'm very interested in this set-up also since it would help me remove the torsion bars,What shocks do you guy's intend to use??? Did anyone price the shocks yet???? Just asking so a guy can kind of figure a whole amount to change to these--Steve

Ok guys here is a question to go along with these,I'm very interested in this set-up also since it would help me remove the torsion bars,What shocks do you guy's intend to use??? Did anyone price the shocks yet???? Just asking so a guy can kind of figure a whole amount to change to these--Steve

Have you checked out Mad Dart's build thread. He is ordering QA1 DS402 and 400lb springs. This puts the front of the car 2.5" lower than stock. Here is his build thread. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1711813&highlight=stock#post1711813

Not sure those are the shocks he will be running, he has posted something about ordering from RMS. I have asked him to post up what he comes up with, waiting to hear from him.

Not sure those are the shocks he will be running, he has posted something about ordering from RMS. I have asked him to post up what he comes up, with waiting to hear from him.

Good to know. I do know that he has been crazy busy at work.

I know he is running their rear suspension and what he has posted in his post may be the reason. Not to sure if it will apply to all the different types of rear suspension. Don't think if you can adjust your rear instance center (as in a drag 4 link) that this will be a big problem, but it might be, your just going to have to experiment. It all depends on your set up, and how your car hooks. Some cars will need a lot of front suspension rise and some may need to have it restricted. That's just the way it is.

I can't wait to see what some of you guys come up with out there. I'm pretty excited about these.

I know he is running their rear suspension and what he has posted in his post may be the reason. Not to sure if it will apply to all the different types of rear suspension. Don't think if you can adjust your rear instance center (as in a drag 4 link) that this will be a big problem, but it might be, your just going to have to experiment. It all depends on your set up, and how your car hooks. Some cars will need a lot of front suspension rise and some may need to have it restricted. That's just the way it is.

I agree with you on setting up your suspension, each car is different. I made mention of the shock travel because I had thought you needed to be in the mid travel of the shock at ride height which would have been a problem making it hard to find the correct size shock that would work right.
For the record I just wanted to make mention that I am not running Reilly's Rear Link Set up. I built my own with bigger bars and more adjustment.

Just saw your other post on your rear suspension, thought you were running RMS when I read triangulated 4 link. As far as being in the mid travel of the shock goes only trial and error will tell for sure, being as close as possible is not a bad place to start.

Worked on bending up some coilover/shock hoops. I haven't decided if a second bar is needed to triangulate everything. It is very similar to the one in the MM article, but I think the landings that wrap around the frame rails should be wider to help spread the load.

Attachments

• Coilover bars 2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Coilover bars.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,046
Badart--YES,YES,YES SWEET WOW great job--I don't have the cash to be Guessing for the right shock to be used so I will be in the shadow's watching for something that works and then order this set-up-Steve

What tubing did you use John? My only concern with those is the idea that the coilovers is mounted on an angle, meaning the loads are not placed vertically on the bar, but instead, inward towards the engine compartment. They definitely are not going anywhere in the vertical plane, but their is a big mechanical advantage to them in the "angled" plane. We all gotta find a way around this issue....

What tubing did you use John? My only concern with those is the idea that the coilovers is mounted on an angle, meaning the loads are not placed vertically on the bar, but instead, inward towards the engine compartment. They definitely are not going anywhere in the vertical plane, but their is a big mechanical advantage to them in the "angled" plane. We all gotta find a way around this issue....

These are a much better option compared to what I have seen out there. Most of the load will be vertical especially if the upper coilover mounts would be attached to the bar itself. I am still debating adding a second bar that angles back to the outside of the firewall to help triangulate it. 1 1/8" .120" DOM.

I had thought about adding a doubler plate that surrounds the top mount at the top off the hoop. Then adding a plate to the top side of the inner fender in the engine compartment. Something that would support a 1" monte carlo bar setup to connect the inner fenders together. Should help to eliminate any inward flexing. If done right it would look pretty cool too.

-
Back