Tubular Lower Control Arm Thread

-
A little eye candy for you. I did have to clearance the upper and lower coilover mounts to get the clear the Strange Engineering Coilovers, but only took a couple of minutes. I clearanced where my finger is pointing.

Looks really good!
One thing I thought about was if the upper shock mount is hanging down some where the upper shock bolts thru the mount, ride height will need to be raised depending on the shock length. Something to consider when making your shock selection for those guys looking to lower the car without drop spindles.
Your shock selection gets narrow in this situation. The smaller length shocks have a lot less travel like 2.5 ".

Louis They are mine. Something I did just for the display. I am thinking about making them. They are solid 6061 and I think they would be fine with extra support of my lowers.

Louis They are mine. Something I did just for the display. I am thinking about making them. They are solid 6061 and I think they would be fine with extra support of my lowers.

Nice job, those look really good! Better than the RMS ones I bought for sure!
I think you got the bases loaded no outs in the 7 th inning with a count of 0 balls and 0 strikes, leading the game 9-0, I see a grand slam!

Glad to find out you're going to have the whole setup on display at MATS! I'm really looking forward to meeting you and seeing your front suspension setup in person.
This looks like the perfect setup for my '69 Dart. See you at MATS.

Nice job, those look really good! Better than the RMS ones I bought for sure!
I think you got the bases loaded no outs in the 7 th inning with a count of 0 balls and 0 strikes, leading the game 9-0, I see a grand slam!

LOL I don't know about that, but thanks. I spoke to Bill Reilly today again about a set of his uppers. Real nice guy. He sounds about as busy as we are.

Glad to find out you're going to have the whole setup on display at MATS! I'm really looking forward to meeting you and seeing your front suspension setup in person.
This looks like the perfect setup for my '69 Dart. See you at MATS.

ocdart I am looking forward to it. Stop by and have a soda on me.

With the coilover going to the factory shock mount there is a clearance issue with the LCA factory bump stop area on the frame and part of the pinch weld along the top of the frame rail with the spring. This would not be an issue with the top coilover mount that would be attached to snout bars or the coilover hoops.

So I broke out the spot weld cutter and slitter wheel.

Attachments

• Clearance3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 707
  • Clearance1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 697
  • Clearance.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 709
Would like to see what that package deal may cost since I basically have everything you make darn you! haha

I noticed the same thing on mine. Gunna get rid of it. There is no need for a LCA bump stop with coil overs. Guys just use the rubber stop that rides on the shock shaft and your good to go.

I noticed the same thing on mine. Gunna get rid of it. There is no need for a LCA bump stop with coil overs. Guys just use the rubber stop that rides on the shock shaft and your good to go.

That's what I thought too. It's just dead weight. :D I also trimmed the top of the frame rail and will box weld that area too. Win-win

Well the coil spring clears everything now, but just barely. These pics are of the coilover completely extended and that puts it closest to the frame. So when it cycles upward is moves away from the frame more.

Attachments

• Clearance4.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Clearance5.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 671
I do believe the Strange Engineering Coilovers that I ordered will be perfect to have a factory ride height. This pic is with 1" compression left before it hits the bump stop with 3" of rebound. According to Mad Dart and Bill Reilly it is what is recommended. If a guy wanted to go any lower and use the adapters with the factory shock mount location he would have to go to a shorter coilover with less travel or drop spindles, but a guy could always just mount the coilover higher.

I measured my dart with no engine in it, which isn't much help and this measurement was 22". I then measured my Barracuda sitting at ride height and this measurement was 18" just like my coilover mocked up.

Attachments

• Clearance6.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 671
It's over at my shop and won't be going over there until this evening, plus it's a 65 so I don't know if it will be the same.

Oh, that's right. Forgot about the year. Ill measure mine this morning like you did and see where it ends up.

So what would have to be done if we wanted to lower the car 1-2 inches from ride height? Shorter coil over?

So what would have to be done if we wanted to lower the car 1-2 inches from ride height? Shorter coil over?

1) Move the upper mount over and up higher then tie it into a strut bar.
2) Mount the shock like you see and use a smaller shock, but be careful, when you go with a smaller shock the full travel of the shock is only about 2.5"
3) Drop Spindles.

1) Move the upper mount over and up higher then tie it into a strut bar.
2) Mount the shock like you see and use a smaller shock, but be careful, when you go with a smaller shock the full travel of the shock is only about 2.5"
3) Drop Spindles.

These are options or must do's ?

The car is hopefully going to be a 10 second car. So IDK if the smaller shock is a good idea. I want to be able to be safe but be lower in the front.

-
Back