Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
Yeah, I know how hard it is to Package turbos and all the associated stuff. That is why I decided against them for my current builds. I was just pointing out that is a lot of flow difference. You might also consider "flat" tubing (square or round) that could just go under the K frame. But the feasibility of this depends on what your plans are for the rest of it.. Because you don't want to make a transition like that more than once. Sorry If I came of as rude.. I just wanted to help you make this cool project turn out as nice as possible.

No offense taken!! All input is welcomed. Thats the good thing about blogging a build.

WOW, o'boy!
I got the T6 Turbo flange today!!! Dammit! Waiting SUCKS. Hopefully the large pieces will start to show up Tomorrow.

Got a call from the machine shop and the 400 is good to go!!! Yeaaaaaa!!
Looks like it will be .060 overbore. A couple more Cubes!!

Thats good news! If your using a forged 440 crank you can offset grind it to bb chev size and use the plentifull and light bb chev con rod. Then you can also use a ,990 piston pin to lose even more weight.

Got a couple more parts today.
Fuel pump controller and the weld-up headers!! Yeah!! 14 more to go!
Fuel system just need fittings and fuel line. I guess I need to order a sump for the factory tank????
I scored the controller brand new on ebay for $170 shipped!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,384
  • 004.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 005.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,325
this dart has a 5" downpipe that drops infront of the engine they run it open but think they were going to make a full exhaust.
i know its a small block but hey maybe this build gives you some ideas on how to mount some stuff.

i think a member in here with a red hemi dart is friend of the owner of this car ?
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120439.0

Im following very closely as Im bulding a 451/470. I dream of turbo's and a 9:1 aluminum head turbo engine would be very street friendly. With twin turbo's on a big block stroker 1000 h.p is within reason. It wont even really stress the components like a 12:1 or more track motor.

Im following very closely as Im bulding a 451/470. I dream of turbo's and a 9:1 aluminum head turbo engine would be very street friendly. With twin turbo's on a big block stroker 1000 h.p is within reason. It wont even really stress the components like a 12:1 or more track motor.

Yeah,
I intended on strokin the 383 to a 496 but was advised over on ttf site not to that you will get more torque from the turbo.. That is the route I am following.. This S480 that I got has the upgrade 1.10 A/R housing and the smaller .83 wheel will spool quicker. Hopefully it will be well into boost around 28-3000 rpm. Should be no problem seeing 8-850 horsepower on 10lbs of boost.

Thats my goal anyway!!

That may be the best route to go. The turbo is going to build so much power extra cubes arent needed anyways.I have a suspicion you just may have changed the direction of my project a bit. Taking a more or less stock 400 to 10 psi would result in roughly 800 h.p. Who can argue with that? There was a guy at moparts that just used stock jy engines and a procharger kit. When the jy mill blew he went and got another $200 motor,drove it till it went bang.Simple plan until you end up buying 2-3 motors per year..

I am working on about the same set up you are doing but mine is going to be rear mounted,I was going to go with bigger cubes but decided to spend money other places like you but this is not my first turbo project either,can not wait to see your build get under way you got some nice parts already!:-D

I am working on about the same set up you are doing but mine is going to be rear mounted,I was going to go with bigger cubes but decided to spend money other places like you but this is not my first turbo project either,can not wait to see your build get under way you got some nice parts already!:-D

This is a BUDGET build per say!
Trying to stay around $4500.00. I am working my own Holley 850 but may need to get a real Blow-thru and figure out how to install the "Crutch" setup in it. We will see what happens. That will be the expensive part. I got a good deal on the Turbo w/upgrades and additional 5" flange, 5" to 4" reducer that I may not use and the 5"V-band clamp for $775 shipped. Forced Inductions wants $920 for just the upgraded turbo not including shipping. I have scored some nice parts Cheap!! I have spent $500 for the new front end pieces and disc conversion.

Going tomorrow to pick up some 2"x2" square and gonna rework the 73 K-frame. May try to install a Flaming River in it and swap the spindles from left to right, right to left. Haven't researched it much tho!!

Should be a bunch of parts show tomorrow. Ups tracking showed my S480 is in Houston!! Yeeepeee!

Still waiting on the Rods to show up so I can drop them to the machinist for balancing. He is ordering the pistons and already has the 383 forged crank and the girdle..

Can't do any fabbing until the block is here since it is a B and I am removing the RB..

Check out Blown385's build on TTF he is a friend of mine he has a pretty good detile on the "crutch" it is pretty simple, on my last set up on my Dakots was a CSU carb that I still had to tune,so this time I am going keep my 850 bucks and do my own this go around,I will start a build thread here soon I have one on TTF, when found your build and started reading thats me too LOL I have like 8 440's but want ed to save room,I seen you where thinking of useing flowmaster style mufflers I have read on TTF that it is a no no for that type of mufflers uses exhaust pulse for performance and turbo's just need to flow straite through.:read2:

Check out Blown385's build on TTF he is a friend of mine he has a pretty good detile on the "crutch" it is pretty simple, on my last set up on my Dakots was a CSU carb that I still had to tune,so this time I am going keep my 850 bucks and do my own this go around,I will start a build thread here soon I have one on TTF, when found your build and started reading thats me too LOL I have like 8 440's but want ed to save room,I seen you where thinking of useing flowmaster style mufflers I have read on TTF that it is a no no for that type of mufflers uses exhaust pulse for performance and turbo's just need to flow straite through.:read2:

Ahhh,
good to know about the Flowmasters... I have a set of Race Bullets that are straight-thru design. I guess I will use them!!

I will need to look at that build. I need info. on how-to the 850 "Crutch"...

Well,
The header flanges are here as well as the Blow-off valve and the Wastegate. UPS shows the turbo listed as Out for Delivery!! Yeaaaa!

The Wastegate and BOV are the same ones MadDart is using on his twin setup..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,354
Ahhh,
good to know about the Flowmasters... I have a set of Race Bullets that are straight-thru design. I guess I will use them!!

I will need to look at that build. I need info. on how-to the 850 "Crutch"...

Yeah, I must have missed that. You don't want restrictive mufflers on a turbo. The great thing about turbos is they quiet out the exhaust pulsed very nicely! Even by themselves! So you don't need a big, fancy, heavy muffler anyway.

My God what have I done!!!! This thing is HUGE!! Set it in where I want it! There will be cutting involved!!

Attachments

• S480 006.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,348
  • S480 005.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,363
  • S480 004.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,363
  • S480 003.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,373
  • S480 002.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,357
  • S480 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,358
  • S480 007.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,375
Damn man, thats one big snail..

Great build! Fastback cuda+big block+4 speed+turbo= 8)

Subscribed.

Damn that is BIG

What are your plans for the exhaust to get it out of the engine bay?

Maybe like Tim's Yellow Dart? Dump it through the K and call it done!
His wastegate dumps to atmosphere also.............

I have 2- 5" 90* Mandrel Bends if you need them. I will get you a good price on them.

LMAO yea they are huge and they weigh in at about 43lb's and that's why am going remote mount is for the room,that turbo is going to make you some serious hp.

Damn that is BIG

What are your plans for the exhaust to get it out of the engine bay?

Maybe like Tim's Yellow Dart? Dump it through the K and call it done!
His wastegate dumps to atmosphere also.............

I have 2- 5" 90* Mandrel Bends if you need them. I will get you a good price on them.

How much????
I need them! I think I will just dump it in front of the K-member. Do a bologna cut and call it done. In Texas, since my car is registered as an Antique I don"t need an inspection.. I will tap the wastegate in the downpipe so it's not as noticable??

I think the wastegate is froze. It won't open at least not by pushing the plug with my thumb like the BOV.. I am waiting on a friend to bring his vacuum pump to check them both.. I think I read in your thread that you had to replace the o-ring??

Now I need the 400 from the machine shop so I can begin this build!!

Finally!

I haven't tried yet but I hope I can reclock the compressor housing to get it to face forward to the intercooler that hasn't showed up yet.

Can someone elaborate???

How much????
I need them! I think I will just dump it in front of the K-member. Do a bologna cut and call it done. In Texas, since my car is registered as an Antique I don"t need an inspection.. I will tap the wastegate in the downpipe so it's not as noticable??

I think the wastegate is froze. It won't open at least not by pushing the plug with my thumb like the BOV.. I am waiting on a friend to bring his vacuum pump to check them both.. I think I read in your thread that you had to replace the o-ring??

Now I need the 400 from the machine shop so I can begin this build!!

Finally!

On the wastegate you need to feed it air. Do you have a Boost Controller yet? I would be careful if you dont. Set your compressor at a low level to start the test. When taking out the big spring I could control the boost from 4psi to 40+++ using my Hallman Boost controler!

On the BOV you can use a vacuum pump to check it out. I pulled out springs in both the BOV and the gates. I rebuilt the Wastegates also. Check out my thread for the explanation.

On the wastegate you need to feed it air. Do you have a Boost Controller yet? I would be careful if you dont. Set your compressor at a low level to start the test. When taking out the big spring I could control the boost from 4psi to 40+++ using my Hallman Boost controler!

On the BOV you can use a vacuum pump to check it out. I pulled out springs in both the BOV and the gates. I rebuilt the Wastegates also. Check out my thread for the explanation.

I have the Hallman in my watch list. You put the small spring in the wastegate right? I'll look in your thread again.

I have been researching the vacuum routes. There are several.
PM me on those 5" 90's please

I have the Hallman in my watch list. You put the small spring in the wastegate right? I'll look in your thread again.

I have been researching the vacuum routes. There are several.
PM me on those 5" 90's please

I just took out the BIG spring and left the smaller one. The small spring is supposed to be for 7psi if I remember correctly.

Ok on the 90's, I just bought them but don't need them. Need to see how much I paid. I bought so much stuff in the last 8 weeks I forget.

I just took out the BIG spring and left the smaller one. The small spring is supposed to be for 7psi if I remember correctly.

Ok on the 90's, I just bought them but don't need them. Need to see how much I paid. I bought so much stuff in the last 8 weeks I forget.

Ok,
Just PM me when you figure it out. Thanks!!

-
Back