Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
Do I see another "street" car with out an air filter???:toothy10:

You can clock the compressor and turbine housings where needed. Looks good!

Great!!
My pops Rayjay locked up when he clocked it. I just need to spin it to face forward towards the intercooler.

Do I see another "street" car with out an air filter???

No sir!
I will be stretching the inner fender to allow for a cone filter. I thought about cutting thru the inner fender and running the filter in the fenderwell area. I can use a plastic fender liner from a 2000 Mustang and fab it to fit in the left side and be held in with the trim moulding screws. Like the red ones from the factory.

No sir!
I will be stretching the inner fender to allow for a cone filter. I thought about cutting thru the inner fender and running the filter in the fenderwell area. I can use a plastic fender liner from a 2000 Mustang and fab it to fit in the left side and be held in with the trim moulding screws. Like the red ones from the factory.
Cool.....cant help but laugh when I see "street" cars minus the air filter........

Early into the 3rd week since I ordered the Eagle rods, NO rods yet! Nothing from the machinist either. Waiting SUCKS!! I am ready to start rolling with this!!!!

Hallman Boost controller showed up today. Still no engine or rods! UPS shows Bonnett and 3"flange kits are out for delivery. Went thru the wastegate and BOV, no torn O-rings. Removed the light spring and left the stronger spring in the wastegate. No change to the BOV. Still waiting on the intercooler kit too!

Attachments

• bov 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,255
Hallman Boost controller showed up today. Still no engine or rods! UPS shows Bonnett and 3"flange kits are out for delivery. Went thru the wastegate and BOV, no torn O-rings. Removed the light spring and left the stronger spring in the wastegate. No change to the BOV. Still waiting on the intercooler kit too!

I am pretty sure with the big spring you will only be able to controll the boost from 15lbs & up or close to it. Have you bench tested it yet? You got me curious now on how it is going to act during the test.

I also lubed the valve and guides up with anti sieze...

I left the small springs in mine that are supposed to be 7lbs. I can control the boost from 4lbs to 40 lbs + on the bench test.

I am pretty sure with the big spring you will only be able to controll the boost from 15lbs & up or close to it. Have you bench tested it yet? You got me curious now on how it is going to act during the test.

I also lubed the valve and guides up with anti sieze...

I left the small springs in mine that are supposed to be 7lbs. I can control the boost from 4lbs to 40 lbs + on the bench test.

Hell, Now I am lost! I am going to look at what spring is in the box.

I left the tallest inner spring in I think. Seem to be the easiest one to compress!

So, you left the lightest spring in??
This difference with size(height, circumfrence, thickness??) is conflicting..

The small spring was a ***** to compress in the housing. My vise didn't open enuff! I should have took pics.

I just finished my B!tch Duties so I will go out to the shop later and check it out. I have a vacuum pump and tested the BOV. Started to open at 12..

Where are you running the hoses for the wastegate and bov? From the way it looks this BMC needs reference from the compressor housing then into the wastegate. I guess It will need to be installed under the hood near the wastegate. This will be pressurized so I think the length of hose is limited. They have a cable kit but it too is pricey. I wonder if I can run a set of hardlines into the cabin under the dash and back to locate the BMC.

Looks like the BOV is referenced from the intake below the carb so under boost it will pressurize the diaphram and hold the wastegate shut. BOV should blow at 12psi if it opens at 12 vacuum when off throttle? I guess I can tee from intake to reference boost for the fuel pump controller and the MSD Boost retard and the Autometer Boost gauge?

I think thats right??

So much to learn!! Gonna knock the cobwebs out a bit! LoL!

MadDart!!

Have you chose your cam yet??

I got mine but was said to be a possible issue. The Turbo crower and Isky cams have the same lobe seperation of 114, mine is a 112. The turbo cams have a decent duration of 280 something, mine is 287. Their lift is what I don't understand at .420-.470?? The Blower cams look better than the Turbo cams do! My lift is .540 tho?? I have decided to ditch the Single plane Torker2 for a Performer RPM Dual plane since the rpm range on the Performer is 1500-6500 ..

Any comments??

The dual plane will work great, the turbo spool time will be determined on the tune and cam selection anyways I posted my cam up on TTF for you that I got from Hughes Engine it is a custom grind from Dave.

Hell, Now I am lost! I am going to look at what spring is in the box.

I left the tallest inner spring in I think. Seem to be the easiest one to compress!

So, you left the lightest spring in??
This difference with size(height, circumfrence, thickness??) is conflicting..

The small spring was a ***** to compress in the housing. My vise didn't open enuff! I should have took pics.

I just finished my B!tch Duties so I will go out to the shop later and check it out. I have a vacuum pump and tested the BOV. Started to open at 12..

Where are you running the hoses for the wastegate and bov? From the way it looks this BMC needs reference from the compressor housing then into the wastegate. I guess It will need to be installed under the hood near the wastegate. This will be pressurized so I think the length of hose is limited. They have a cable kit but it too is pricey. I wonder if I can run a set of hardlines into the cabin under the dash and back to locate the BMC.

Looks like the BOV is referenced from the intake below the carb so under boost it will pressurize the diaphram and hold the wastegate shut. BOV should blow at 12psi if it opens at 12 vacuum when off throttle? I guess I can tee from intake to reference boost for the fuel pump controller and the MSD Boost retard and the Autometer Boost gauge?

I think thats right??

So much to learn!! Gonna knock the cobwebs out a bit! LoL!

Yes you are correct I left the the middle spring in. The one with the thinest wire on the coil.

You just confused the crap out of me! I tried to follow your hose diagram in my head and got lost! haaaaa :toothy10:

I haven't got there yet on the vacuum and boost lines.
I did get the extreme velocity hat and I can't run it straight out the front of the engine because the bottom of it hits the top of the front carb bowl! I will need to re route the intake tract.

MadDart!!

Have you chose your cam yet??

I got mine but was said to be a possible issue. The Turbo crower and Isky cams have the same lobe seperation of 114, mine is a 112. The turbo cams have a decent duration of 280 something, mine is 287. Their lift is what I don't understand at .420-.470?? The Blower cams look better than the Turbo cams do! My lift is .540 tho?? I have decided to ditch the Single plane Torker2 for a Performer RPM Dual plane since the rpm range on the Performer is 1500-6500 ..

Any comments?? 11-29-2010 06:18 PM

Brian at IMM Engines is ordering the cam. It will be a Solid Roller. Duration is 240*@50 ground on a 111* ICL Lift is .638 if I remember correctly. I will be using an RPM PERFORMER and maybe later switching out to a Victor Junior Intake manifold. With the Air/Water intercoolers, heat exchanger with Ice Box in the trunk and the Meth Injection. The intake charge should be fairly cool and a AIR GAP style manifold will not necessarily be needed.

LMAO!!!

It "IS" confusing!!! Lota info involved.

I did get hold of Scott Brown and he confirmed that my cam choice will work fine with my setup. Boy, that was good to hear!!

Directly from the man himself,

Hi Rob,
That would be a pretty good baseline turbo camshaft, and should work pretty well. For a max effort setup, I usually run a wider lobe separation to reduce overlap even further, but the 112 lobe sep should work good for a street strip setup.

Thanks,
scott

Scott Brown
Competition Components, LLC
www.buyracingparts.com
Office: 616-499-6223
FAX: 888-361-5523

Ahh!
The intercooler showed up today!! Still no engine tho! Dammit!!

I had a nightmare the other night about the turbo being directly in front of me and mounted sideways. Well, it came apart and took me out! Soooo, changed the location to the right side. Looks like it will work there. A lot less 5" exhaust piping under the hood too. I think once I get the headers built I will be able to squeeze the 5" pipe at the back near the heater blower motor and the split it to 2 3" pipes down near the torsion bar. I think it will-I think it will-I think it will!!!

Damn I wish my machinist would call!!!

Here are a few more pics,

Attachments

• intercooler 001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,204
  • intercooler 002.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • intercooler 003.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • intercooler 004.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,223
  • intercooler 005.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • intercooler 006.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,223
Question.......

Will that Carb hat turn and go straight forward, center of the car or carb without hitting the carb??

Question.......

Will that Carb hat turn and go straight forward, center of the car or carb without hitting the carb??

Yep!!
Here is a shot! It is a cast piece by the same company your filters are. Looks pretty good and weighs over 4 lbs. About 1/4 of an inch clearance between the hat and the carb.

Attachments

• carb 001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,216
Yep!!
Here is a shot! It is a cast piece by the same company your filters are. Looks pretty good and weighs over 4 lbs. About 1/4 of an inch clearance between the hat and the carb.

That's good but I don't think it will clear my hood!
Have you checked to see if it clears your hood?

That's good but I don't think it will clear my hood!
Have you checked to see if it clears your hood?

It will without the phenolic spacer. But remember, Mine is a 440. Haven't pulled it so I can still move it in and out of my shop. It sticks up just as high as my chrome 14" breather. I didn't realize the smalblock sits as high as the bigblock.

I am cutting the hood so it doesn't matter to me. I am going to order the 5" steel cowl scoop from AMD and weld it on.

Its a crazy endeavor! I think I will be on the downhill side.

Just found out my rods are back ordered!! Dammit!!

Eagle always pulls that crap!

Use these instead, they are always available!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would even run these!! I think they are made by FALCON.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-BE...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

oops these are............

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fa...3+mopar&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I bought the 6.358 rods for B engine. Those are the 440 rods.

-
Back