Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
Eagle drop ships everything. I bought a 4.00 stroker crank from a place that had 8 "in stock" uhh..backordered from Eagle, 2 week wait. I asked why he said he had 8, he said Eagle had 8 and they ship from Eagle, so much for that. You're going to row that big turbo motor? An automatic would be so much better for your app. When you let off the gas to shift, the waste gates blow and the turbo loses pressure and RPM, you get back on the gas and you have to spool again to get boost. Autos never skip a beat, always spooled up and hit hard when shifted and you get to cheat by loading up the turbo against the convertor for launches, you cant spool up in neutral as there is no load on the turbo. this is how I read it:

"The real point I am trying to make is that the exhaust turbine will not generate enough
power to turn the air compressor fast enough for it to work properly unless the engine is
feeding the exhaust turbine a lot of hot expanding exhaust gas, a condition that can only
be created when the engine is under a load. There is where the selection of
transmission gear ratios and the ring and pinion ratio play a critical part. The fact that the engine must be under a load is the reason why, no matter how high you rev a turbo
charged engine with no load on it, you will not see the boost gauge move"
The convertor power braked can create such a load, but its very hard on the trans as the torque of a turbo motor is huge.

Im bench building a stroked 360 SB twin T25 turbo and like the smaller faster spooling turbos with there smaller pipes, but wont get close to 800 HP. Im reading every post here so I can have a system on paper before I start shopping, and Im an a shoestring budget too. Keep up the commentary, as I am learning stuff everyday too. Oh yeah, these 10 lb foam motors are super cool for mock ups, a little pricey but you get the idea, I hear they are on Ebay a few times a year.
4023.jpg

Well,
now I have a variety!
Picked a Torker up N.I.B. for $115.00 shipped.

And the Performer RMP

Attachments

• torker.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • intake.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,069
You're going to row that big turbo motor? An automatic would be so much better for your app. When you let off the gas to shift, the waste gates blow and the turbo loses pressure and RPM, you get back on the gas and you have to spool again to get boost. Autos never skip a beat, always spooled up and hit hard when shifted and you get to cheat by loading up the turbo against the convertor for launches, you cant spool up in neutral as there is no load on the turbo.

Umm!
I don't lift to shift!!

Bring it up to R's and sidestep the clutch and feather while changing thru the gears. Been driving my standard shift cars like that since the begining.
Working on a deal for a 6 speed Viper trans for the future.

I should be able to get some 11" ET street slicks under the wheelwells without any cutting.

Will see what happens....

Umm!
I don't lift to shift!!

Bring it up to R's and sidestep the clutch and feather while changing thru the gears. Been driving my standard shift cars like that since the begining.
Working on a deal for a 6 speed Viper trans for the future.

I should be able to get some 11" ET street slicks under the wheelwells without any cutting.

Will see what happens....

Only way to drive a 4spd!! ohhhh yeah!!

Well,
now I have a variety!
Picked a Torker up N.I.B. for $115.00 shipped.

And the Performer RMP

Well Chitttttttt, you get some SMOKIN DEALS on your parts!! I am just going to send you the list for the rest of the stuff I need....... I hereby award you the Mr. Bargain Shopper of the year award:cheers:

Well Chitttttttt, you get some SMOKIN DEALS on your parts!! I am just going to send you the list for the rest of the stuff I need....... I hereby award you the Mr. Bargain Shopper of the year award:cheers:

I'm a hardcore Ebay *****!!LOL!!!:toothy10:

Umm!
I don't lift to shift!!
May work for a n/a motor......please rig a video camera in the car when you are driving it so we can all witness the major :eek:ops: when you miss a gear......:toothy10:

May work for a n/a motor......please rig a video camera in the car when you are driving it so we can all witness the major :eek:ops: when you miss a gear......:toothy10:

Rev limiter and and Electronic Boost Controller should take care of that..... you could wire the EBC to work several different ways.

All safeguards will be in place.
Rev limiter
Boost controller
Wastegate
Blowoff valve
Retarder

There are many standard shift turbo cars!!! NO fun with an automatic!!! We will see what happens. May just skip first gear alltogether!

My pops seems to think that I will need a double disk clutch???

I picked up a 7 qt oil pan for $70 shipped and I just had to get the valley pan hold-down bars $26.40 shipped!! Their Cool!!

Attachments

• oil pan.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,175
  • badassmopar.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,219
nice with sticking with the 4 speed, how you stated is how i drive my 4 speed cars as well.

Nice build ought to be alot of fun. Also got to love ebay for somethings

You need to get another block for sure and start the mock up. That will keep you busy and then the wait will be perfect timing for the real engine. Mine is machined ready to assemble, having the extra block made the wait no big deal!

Ok,
I am goin to pick up the old cracked 383 for mock-up in the morning. My K-frame, upper control-arms and spindles are goin to the media blasters too.

nice with sticking with the 4 speed, how you stated is how i drive my 4 speed cars as well.

Nice build ought to be alot of fun. Also got to love ebay for somethings

Yeah,
I want to find a pistol-grip handle. I have a habit of smackin the ball and my hand slips and hits the dash goin into 3rd. Hurts!!

When you get it up on the two step you can build boost,just hang on and have fun with it !:mrgreen:

Ok,
I am goin to pick up the old cracked 383 for mock-up in the morning. My K-frame, upper control-arms and spindles are goin to the media blasters too.

That is a good idea and it will keep you busy until the other stuff is ready! :cheers:

$56 Oil pan showed up today! $15 shipping, 1/2" pickup included.

Attachments

• oil pan 007.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • oil pan 008.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,134
A stick car you bounce off a two step rev limiter and pull timing to zero with the clutch in. Makes for a great fire show! The only problem I see is that your 800 hp turbo motor will make 1000lb/ft when the shift takes place, thats if you truly can shift it with the throttle wide open. A rev limiter at that point is merely a suggestion, its really hard to stop a motor thats is making that much power. A few weeks ago I was talking to a well known super stock racer who was happy about the clutchless trans being allowed in super stock because its real hard on the motor when he shifts at 9200. He was saying that the rev limiter is set at 9200 and it flashes to 10,400 when shifted! I like the idea of a stick turbo car but it may be tough to find a trans that will live through it.

A stick car you bounce off a two step rev limiter and pull timing to zero with the clutch in. Makes for a great fire show! The only problem I see is that your 800 hp turbo motor will make 1000lb/ft when the shift takes place, thats if you truly can shift it with the throttle wide open. A rev limiter at that point is merely a suggestion, its really hard to stop a motor thats is making that much power. A few weeks ago I was talking to a well known super stock racer who was happy about the clutchless trans being allowed in super stock because its real hard on the motor when he shifts at 9200. He was saying that the rev limiter is set at 9200 and it flashes to 10,400 when shifted! I like the idea of a stick turbo car but it may be tough to find a trans that will live through it.

Honestly!! I have no idea what to expect!:cheers: I will more than likely have to learn how to drive allover.:toothy10:

I have the milodon deep center sump pan Put I believe I will have too trim the corner to make it work with the stock K member I like the oil pan you found there.

Looks like the intercooler will fit nicely!! Fits perfect into the lower valance. Just need to rework the center support a bit. I prefer the "NO" front bumper look but i will have to fab up new bumper brackets just in case.The real work begins in the morning with the removal of the 440. Then mockup begins!!

Attachments

• intercooler 001.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,146
  • intercooler 002.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,131
440 is out and on the floor. Waiting on the K-frame so I can put the front-end together and get the cracked 383 in it for mock-up. Should be ready tomorrow and then I will paint it.

Still no 400 from the machine shop, no word on the rods and since they were special order I cannot get a refund.

Time marches on!!!

Sold the manifolds in about 30 seconds to a fellow member.

No updates in a whole week? You must be hard at work gettin it done!

Haven't had much time since that stinkn Santa doesn't put **** together anymore!! LoL!

I did get the K-frame back and got it welded up and painted along with the upper control arms w/ball joints installed. Still no word on 400 or the rods.

I am running short on my funds, soooo I might have to sell the original Bigblock K-frame and the original Bigblock radiator for misc. parts...

Pictures to follow,

-
Back