Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
yep i have the same build in the works for 2012. Heres what I have so far. 400 block. mopar stage 6 heads a nickerson 980 holley and a little bigger turbo 92mm 1.36 ex. and a little bigger cam, 727 4000 stall. Cant wait to get started!!

yep i have the same build in the works for 2012. Heres what I have so far. 400 block. mopar stage 6 heads a nickerson 980 holley and a little bigger turbo 92mm 1.36 ex. and a little bigger cam, 727 4000 stall. Cant wait to get started!!

Looks like yours is track specific?? Mine is a streetcar with expected 800 hp @ 8-10lbs of boost.. No telling what it will have if I choose to turn the wick up with the Hallman boost controller???

Go with it!!

I think people are a bit disappointed that I cut the apron!!??
No other way to get it in with a 5" DP.... I will reinstall the apron with some minor fabrication. The apron had been patch prior due to fenderwell headers. So, it needed top be replaced anyhow. It will be just fine once I am done.

Negative, my car is 100% streetable and legal runs 9:90s to 10:0s through the muffs on dot tires its fully licensed and ready to roll. I am building the turbo motor to be more streetable. 8.5-1 compression a little easier than 13-1.

Negative, my car is 100% streetable and legal runs 9:90s to 10:0s through the muffs on dot tires its fully licensed and ready to roll. I am building the turbo motor to be more streetable. 8.5-1 compression a little easier than 13-1.

Ahhh, Cool! Nice ride! I like the cowl hood.

I decided to cut the apron so I can retain the stock hood. When someone walks up to my car it will look completely stock in appearance at least until the hood is open!! Lol!

Sorry, no updates lately! Been taking care of a few friends cars. That and my pops has had the welder taken up. He is building 3 sets of Cal-tracks.

Got to work on it for a couple hours this evening. Got the right log up into the T6 flange as well as the crossover pipe to the left side. Just got them tacked but will sew them up tomorrow. Man that right piping is gonna be a PITA!!! Somehow gotta clear the sparkplugs...

Attachments

• progress 004.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,176
  • progress 005.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • progress 006.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,191
  • progress 007.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • progress 008.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,178
  • progress 009.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,151
  • progress 010.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,150
That support bracket is really well done and you are doing an excellent job so far. Im watching at the edge of my seat.:happy1: I have always had a spot spot for the 383 as far as big blocks go 8)

Got a half a day in these. They ain't very pretty but I think they will do the job. I was concerned about the top pipes angle into the log but it is what it is!! That very first hole may be an issue too. But it will all fit under the stock hood, even with the 5" DP. I can get to all the header nuts and sparkplugs either from the bottom or through holes in the apron. Still need a bit more time in the square end at the flange.

Anyhow here are a few pics of the pipeline facility!!

Attachments

• progress 004.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,121
  • progress 003.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • progress 002.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • progress 001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,128
  • progress 005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,142
  • progress 006.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,121
  • progress 007.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,148
Doesn't look bad. I want to see how you get that last primary done. Can you take the valve covers off with those headers on?

Why couldn't you route the last primary tube into the front of your log instead of over the top like that?

Doesn't look bad. I want to see how you get that last primary done. Can you take the valve covers off with those headers on?

Why couldn't you route the last primary tube into the front of your log instead of over the top like that?

Yes I can get the valvecovers off easily.

The 5" DP drops at the back of the engine on this side so it had to be routed this way. I wanted to be able to acess all the plugs and header nuts. I am going to put the apron back in it with a few adjustments and added sheetmetal.

My pops is making his own "Carl-tracs" for our 3 cars. Looks like they will work just fine!

Attachments

• carl-tracs 003.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • carl-tracs 002.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • carl-tracs 001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,133
Started the driverside log, still gotta cut the top angle. My dumbass cut the 90's pointing down the first time .. That why the ends are butchered but they will be cut at a 45.

Attachments

• progress 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • progress 002.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,071
  • progress 003.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,086
Did you finish up the passenger side Log?

Just about, I took a break from it. That #2 cylinder is giving me fits:banghead:.
That is a strange angle and I have got to get it to turn into the T6 flange.
I didn't want to shoot it straight in.

Well,
got the driverside log done. This Aluminized piping is a PITA to weld even after grinding the coating :bang:... Will dress these welds and run a wide pass to confirm seal.
O'well, looks like it will be usable!

Attachments

• progress 004.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,043
  • progress 003.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • progress 002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,050
  • progress 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,054
When I am welding the Aluminized Pipe. I use the Trigger with quick bursts on and off. I also turn the heat up a bit more along with the wire speed. Seems to get really good penetration and a good looking weld that way. I don't even grind or wire brush it either. Just my experience is all............keep at it, your making good progress!

When I am welding the Aluminized Pipe. I use the Trigger with quick bursts on and off. I also turn the heat up a bit more along with the wire speed. Seems to get really good penetration and a good looking weld that way. I don't even grind or wire brush it either. Just my experience is all............keep at it, your making good progress!

Yeah, I have no patience and try to continue welding. My pops keeps telling me to slow down!! Lol!! Hard-headed I guess. I get rather frustrated so he takes over.

As long as it is sealed I'm good. Gonna get them blasted and paint them with flat black VHT ceramic paint. Then they will be wrapped with DEI wrap.

Thanks for the Kudo's Louis!!

With the ease of the driverside log I should have done twins!!:violent2:

Started the crossover pipe. Looks good and no interference as of yet.. Again, this will all be wrapped.
The front valance should cover half of the crossover view from the front. I like the "No bumper" look on the front enuff to leave it off.

Attachments

• progress 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • progress 002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • progress 003.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,013
  • progress 004.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 998
This build is bad-***!
Makes me think someone could build me a set of headers for a 383 4 speed with ease.
Sometimes it takes more time to document with pics than it does to actually build something, so thank you for taking the time.
If you can, post a video when its done, would love to hear it!

This build is bad-***!
Makes me think someone could build me a set of headers for a 383 4 speed with ease.
Sometimes it takes more time to document with pics than it does to actually build something, so thank you for taking the time.
If you can, post a video when its done, would love to hear it!

Thanks Matt
Oh you can bet on that!! Plenty of video.
FYI, my pops is using E-body headers in his 413 Duster. All he had to do is cut the last tube on the driverside and twist it to miss the steering linkage. Hey, it worked!

And his is a 4 speed?
Do you know the header brand?

And his is a 4 speed?
Do you know the header brand?

I do know they are 4 speed headers and there is a metal tag welded to them with Headman Headers on it. Its parked next to mine and from what I see they would fit in mine too.:burnout: He did have to use the mini starter tho!

Pistons showed up today! Still no ETA on the Eagle rods.

Attachments

• pistons 001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,072
Guess I will get these to the machinist in the morning so he can at least get the block final honed. No telling when the rods will be shipped.

-
Back