turbo 6 bangers post here

-
first test drive with the valiant today. went good afr was where it needed to be when it needed to be. spooled fast. didnt hit the boost psi it was supposed to because i didnt adjust the bov. just got it and put it on so it was bleeding pressure. all in all im very happy. gotta take it to the track for some wot testing and turn it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXM5DtR-sY&feature=youtu.be

There is a Slant Six Shootout at Mason-Dixon Dragway, in Hagerstown Md, this coming weekend. Sat is TnT with a slant six race, and Sun is a Mopar show/swap meet/race. There is a second slant six race on Sun.

yea i know im gonna have to pass on that. jonesnow from .org pointed it out to me a couple weeks ago. may 18th seems to be a pretty popular date. im missing out on the carshow that my old highschool is putting on too. i like to try and make those but i would rather race. im gonna try and make the fall event at haggerstown if my pile holds together.

Thanks Rusty,

First turbo build for me and did not think about this until recently. How does the catch can work?

Mike

im on my first too. actually just got it running a week or two ago. catch can would go from the breather to a box/can and then an outlet. i plan on using it to catch the excess oil vapor and only let out clean oil free air.

Intake is quick mockup, not finished yet. Clifford 3x2bbl intake with stainless 4" plenum. I got recently individual throttle bodies that I'd want to use, I have to make a new plenum for those.

Bottom end has Wisecos, Carrillo H-profiles and head has 1,72"/1,5" valves. Cam will be ~225 at .050 and turbo something Garret GT40 sizing. These two are still at shopping list...

mjf, how do we source these item, I have K1 ford and trouble sourcing pistons, JE wont supply pistons to Australia public, only to there destribritor

I bought my pistons from Summit racing.

My progress with engine is very slow. Bottom end is ready, valves needs some lapping before assembling head.

I think this mite be a good idea ..... it seems that no one wants my drop top dart so maby I should do sumtin with it. Doing a V8 swap in a 63 is a pain in the firewall and I can see the 413 I got in the shed doing great harm to it without a bunch of frame stuff. If ya think about it an early 225 is good for boost in stock form .... forged crank beefy cast block from the aloy mold.... I will be watching and hope it works for those that have boosted there \6. Besides ... theres a ford (barf) guy up the road that needs took down a peg or two. Why not put his rustang on the trailer with a \6? Btw ... he thinks a \6 is the worst engine ever bilt. keep posting .................... hacksaw

In my defense I did have a couple of beers while planning/fabbing this. Been fun, took it for a short test drive, I got just over 5 psi out of it putzing around town. Gonna be fun working on it again when I get back from my Independence Day camping weekend.

Attachments

• 00%20turbo%20slant%2020.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 00%20turbo%20slant%2022.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 951
Very Inspiring work guys! Ive got a 76 Scamp 3 speed on the floor waiting for me to slap the spare slant and turbo parts Ive accumulated together, stock 225 + J pipe FTW!

Well guys I think the turbo plan is out for me now, this came into my work :D

Attachments

• jet.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 842
Got my decals on, finally!

On Saturday, Sept.12, I finally got this thing down the track, with a run that was representative of what I could expect in the future.

With the driver and a passenger aboard, and having to "lift" TWICE before the eighth-mile clocks, it ran 7.80 @ 91.5 mpg. Wheelspin was not a problem at the launch, but created handling problems at 50-60-mph.... go figure!!!!

According to Wallace Online Calculators, that will equate to a quarter-mile time of about 12-seconds flat, at 112mph.I'd guess that if the pasenger who rode with me got out, it would have run (barely) into the high-elevens at something over 113, in the quarter-mile.

That was done on 15 pounds of boost. The car weighed 3,000-pounds with both of us in it, for that run.

More results at 20-pounds, then, 25-pounds of boost, later, on the next trip to the strip...

Sorry it has taken over FIVE YEARS to get some results like this...:banghead:

Congrats Bill. Impressive.
Of course you know the next question...
When do we get a video? :)

Congrats Bill. Impressive.
Of course you know the next question...
When do we get a video? :)

I have a brand-new Sony video camera (cx230) with image stabilization (whatever that is) and will get some video of the car as soon as I can get it running consistently, at the strip.

I have another guy driving it, so I can watch it, and that will afford me the opportunity to tape it (although there is no "tape" in this camera; all digital...)

Thanks for your interest! :happy1:

Fantastic results!:blob:

Congratulations Bill!

Mike Gale

On Saturday, Sept.12, I finally got this thing down the track, with a run that was representative of what I could expect in the future.

With the driver and a passenger aboard, and having to "lift" TWICE before the eighth-mile clocks, it ran 7.80 @ 91.5 mpg. Wheelspin was not a problem at the launch, but created handling problems at 50-60-mph.... go figure!!!!

According to Wallace Online Calculators, that will equate to a quarter-mile time of about 12-seconds flat, at 112mph.I'd guess that if the pasenger who rode with me got out, it would have run (barely) into the high-elevens at something over 113, in the quarter-mile.

That was done on 15 pounds of boost. The car weighed 3,000-pounds with both of us in it, for that run.

More results at 20-pounds, then, 25-pounds of boost, later, on the next trip to the strip...

Sorry it has taken over FIVE YEARS to get some results like this...:banghead:

-
Back