Turning a 73 Dart into a 72

-
Nice project, and the pic of the blackout treatment on '73+ Dart grills has made me give them a second look. It looks pretty good!

Nice project, and the pic of the blackout treatment on '73+ Dart grills has made me give them a second look. It looks pretty good!

I agree, it was a must with my 73 grille in my 75 Dart

0611001246c.jpg

Thanks,The '73 fenders,doors,hood,grille, and bumper went to a good home.But not before I had a chance to do a little work on them. I did a thread on the grille restoration it had a few missing ribs that were repaired before I painted it.The grille really isn't the unattractive part it's that header panel IMO.I thought about modifying the sheet metal and bumper so it was a straight line from the outer fender to the point in the middle so the front end would be a wedge shape .rather than having the "Beak". Would be interesting to see a rendering of how that would look.

Thanks,The '73 fenders,doors,hood,grille, and bumper went to a good home.But not before I had a chance to do a little work on them. I did a thread on the grille restoration it had a few missing ribs that were repaired before I painted it.The grille really isn't the unattractive part it's that header panel IMO.I thought about modifying the sheet metal and bumper so it was a straight line from the outer fender to the point in the middle so the front end would be a wedge shape .rather than having the "Beak". Would be interesting to see a rendering of how that would look.

The header panel is really ugly, I dont care for mopars that dont have a hood that goes all the way to the end. My father really wanted to modify the header panel and bumper in the same way that you wanted. It would be interesting to see one done like that.

The header panel is really ugly, I dont care for mopars that dont have a hood that goes all the way to the end. My father really wanted to modify the header panel and bumper in the same way that you wanted. It would be interesting to see one done like that.

I never bothered cause I had the '72 front clip already.the tuff part is that ridge down the middle that's what would make it way too much work .just easier to change the whole front end.

I've been gone for a week, just caught up on this thread. Nice job on the connectors!
When I installed the quick silver shifter in my first dart I made the mistake of locating it on the center of the hump. I forgot that the hump sits off to the passenger side a bit. Still looked okay but wasn't centered between the seats.

I've been gone for a week, just caught up on this thread. Nice job on the connectors!
When I installed the quick silver shifter in my first dart I made the mistake of locating it on the center of the hump. I forgot that the hump sits off to the passenger side a bit. Still looked okay but wasn't centered between the seats.

I might ask you for some quick measurements.I think your running the same seats if IIRC. Trying to find a spot where it's far enough back that I can easily put it all the way in park but it's forward enough that the hole for the cable will not land where the crossmember is.

Had made these seat brackets some time ago but had only bolted them together.I recently re-engineered them,welding them together and welded the bolts so no wrench is needed on top.Now much like a factory seat I can just undo the four nuts from underneath and the seat will just pull up and out.

seat tracks.JPG

seat brackets.JPG

Those seats look great! Im looking to ditch the bench and get a couple buckets and a floor shifter too

Thanks I like the seats all except for when I see them from the front of the car.they appear a bit too wide. As far as the shifter goes I wanted something that looked a bit more race inspired but I'm really happy with the way this one functions.

Tiny bit of visible progress of late.Ran My fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment.Plenty left over to fabricate the line from fuel pump to carb.I also cleaned up and re-wrapped the engine compartment wiring harness.Took some time today and cleaned up all the emblems that will go back on the car.The pics really don't do them justice I cleaned them up with steel wool and re-painted the surround with black paint.They really gleam!I'm also considering using this 360 emblem in the place of the "special" tag the post's are very close in distance and a simple ovaling of the holes should allow them to be installed.Also the shortblock is going together and I am planning on dropping the 360/727 combo in this coming weekend!

Let's see if the pics will take this time around.Was trying to update this thread while all the server problems were happening and lost My pics three times..

Attachments

• swinger emblems 064.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 424
  • swinger emblems 048.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 411
  • swinger emblems 051.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 417
  • swinger emblems 049.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 425
  • swinger emblems 046.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 416
This weekends progress got the longblock all buttoned up,trans bolted up,and installed in the car. Finally,I've been waiting a long time to get to this point.My Buddy happened to be driving through the area and dropped by He didn't know what He was in for LOL! Good thing though as I woulda still been wrestling with getting it set in place.

Attachments

• engine install 252.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 420
  • engine install 279.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 422
  • engine install 259.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 418
Not much work done on the Dart lately.I have been busy being self employed. But here's a shot of how the engine compartment is looking right now.Still need to order a new driveshaft then it should be running pretty soon.

Attachments

• I phone pics 192.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 382
That looks nice. One of the picture up above looks like you used braided line for the transmission lines to the radiator. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

That looks nice. One of the picture up above looks like you used braided line for the transmission lines to the radiator. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Thanks,And no actually the braided lines in the earlier pic was just the excess fuel line.I fabbed hard line from the radiator to the stock trans. cooler lines.took two trys but the line is real inexpensive at pep boys.Transmission fluid I learned needs a special teflon lined braided hose $$$ or you'll end up with chunks of deteriorated rubber all through the transmission and cooler I was told.

Thanks,And no actually the braided lines in the earlier pic was just the excess fuel line.I fabbed hard line from the radiator to the stock trans. cooler lines.took two trys but the line is real inexpensive at pep boys.Transmission fluid I learned needs a special teflon lined braided hose $$$ or you'll end up with chunks of deteriorated rubber all through the transmission and cooler I was told.

Good to know, guess I'll do like you and bend some hard lines.

Good to know, guess I'll do like you and bend some hard lines.

Here's how I ran mine I actually enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to route them to stay clear of the fan,the lower radiator outlet and plumb them into the existing lines.All cause I'm too cheap to spring for a drop in unit.

Attachments

• linz.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 330
  • linz 2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 310
Another small detail - drilled My valve covers to countersink the allen headed bolts.Now the head of the bolt sits flush with the top of the bore.

Attachments

• drillin.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 313
  • cntr sunk.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 330
-
Back