Turning a 73 Dart into a 72

-
Stripe looks great! I really like the gas cap. I was wanting to do the same thing, If you don't mind where did you get the cap from?
Your car is coming along nice.

Thanks, I got the cap from a co. out of florida called brittish american transfer.But I'll warn you they are not cheap.But then what on our cars is cheap?
Here's a link.
http://www.batinc.net/

Small bit of progress,switched out the bells on My steering column with ones from a floor shift manual column.Had these sitting around for awhile and wasn't sure what all was involved in switching them out.Wasn't too bad actually everything bolted back together with no problems .Now to decide on what sort of floor shifter to go with. I like the looks of the hurst quarter stick but have read most ratchet shifters are a real pita on the street, any suggestions ?

steering column manual conversion 018.JPG

steering column manual conversion 019.JPG

steering column manual conversion 020.JPG

steering column manual conversion 022.JPG

jomoper,
Do you have a link to the cool filler cap you put on that is sweet looking, love the ghost stripe also. keep up the good work, good job on the steering column also.

greendart72 I have a B&M Quicksilver shifter and it works great.
08-03-2010 08:25 PM
Thanks for that. I think that's the exact one I was considering getting from summit .Looks like the hurst Quarterstick right?Good to hear your happy with it.
68GTconvert Looks great.
08-04-2010 06:33 AM
Thank you !
bkd jomoper,
Do you have a link to the cool filler cap you put on that is sweet looking, love the ghost stripe also. keep up the good work, good job on the steering column also.
Thanks ,I posted the link before but here it is again.
http://www.batinc.net/
Click on the link on the left,click on aero fuel caps and then download the catalog.
Thanks to wracks71 for turning us on to these cool fuel filler caps!

Thanks jomopar, sorry I looked for the link must have missed it but thanks again

Picked up some goodies today,got some 1 1/2" X 3" X 4' tubing and started on some subframe connectors.Yeah I realize I probably should have done this before the bodywork.But better late than never I guess.

subframe connectors,shiftah 005.JPG

S'more goodies came via ups ...
I went with the Quiksilver shifter btw.
Also will be running a lokar kick-down cable for a cleaner engine bay and trans tunnel.

subframe connectors,shiftah 008.JPG

Finished with the install of the subframe connectors this afternoon.Took quite a bit of work to get them to slip over the rear frame rails as that folded metal is so irregular.Now it's beer O'clock!

subframe connectors installed 005.JPG

subframe connectors installed 002.JPG

subframe connectors installed 010.JPG

subframe connectors installed 011.JPG

cool man! nice connectors. ur gettin er done!

Thank you,all I gotta do now is figure out the shifter placement.Then I'll finish putting the interior back together.After That I can start putting the engine and trans.in place. I'm getting excited!Since most of the really dirty work is done, now is when I basically just start bolting things together.

jomoper,

Nice work, excellent drive you have. Do you play away games? Wish I had the "get and go" you have. Great job, keep 'er going.

Nice job on those subframe connectors, you make it look easy (might try it on mine). You are turning your 73 into a 72 and im turning my 72 into a 70 lol.

Nice work. I remember doing those in my convertible. It took a bit of cutting and notching.

Yeah,no kidding I thought it would only take a few hours took about 5-6 hours per side over several days.I ground the inside of the connectors till they would just slip over the frame rails with the help of a bottle jack.Perfect interference fit.

jomoper,

Nice work, excellent drive you have. Do you play away games? Wish I had the "get and go" you have. Great job, keep 'er going.

Thanks,I have quite a bit of free time these days so I'm making good use of it and trying to get this project on the road.I do get energized but sometimes with these things I realize it's best to just take your time and enjoy the process and the end result will turn out far better.

Nice job on those subframe connectors, you make it look easy (might try it on mine). You are turning your 73 into a 72 and im turning my 72 into a 70 lol.

Thank you.the actual construction of the connectors was easy.welding them in under the car was a real learning experience!
Funny it seems a number of us here are taking old cars and cloning them into even older cars!For Me chrysler's styling peaked sometime before or around 1972.My favorite's are the 70'-71'Barracudas,71'-72' Roadrunner's.And for some reason 70'-72'Dart's & Demons .

Today's update,reinstalled the seats,mocked up the shifter.Did not take any pics as I nearly destroyed My camera the other day.I keep leaving it in My pocket and for some reason it keeps turning on I don't really see how I could possibly activate the button while it's in My pocket? but twice now I've been working on the garage floor when I heard a crunching sound and realized I had just sat on the telescoping barrel of the lens assembly!Luckily both times I've been able to carefully realign it and it still works.yeah!
On another note who out there is running an aftermarket shifter with a cable ?the instructions for the B&M quicksilver shifter says to drill a 1-1/2" hole for the cable but there is no supplied grommet to seal the floor .Just wondering what others have done to keep any fumes etc. from entering though the whole in the floor .Figure I'll look at the hardware or auto-store for a suitable rubber plug to run the cable through.

Thank you.the actual construction of the connectors was easy.welding them in under the car was a real learning experience!
Funny it seems a number of us here are taking old cars and cloning them into even older cars!For Me chrysler's styling peaked sometime before or around 1972.My favorite's are the 70'-71'Barracudas,71'-72' Roadrunner's.And for some reason 70'-72'Dart's & Demons .

I always wanted a 68 Charger but had to settle for a 71 Challenger (yeah, I know). I knew that if I got a Challenger it would have to be a 70-71. When I got my first dart it was a 75 and I hate that beak so the first thing I did was put a 73 front end on it to lessen how ugly it was. Now it wears a 71 Valiant front clip 8)

I always wanted a 68 Charger but had to settle for a 71 Challenger (yeah, I know). I knew that if I got a Challenger it would have to be a 70-71. When I got my first dart it was a 75 and I hate that beak so the first thing I did was put a 73 front end on it to lessen how ugly it was. Now it wears a 71 Valiant front clip 8)

So would you call that a Vart Or a Dariant?J/K

-
Back