Turning a 73 Dart into a 72

-
Thanks I was gonna use the 73' doors but they were pretty tweaked while the 72's are perfect not a dent to be found ! $120 for a whole front clip is a screaming deal Good job !
yeah it was half price day

Joe, how did I miss this thread all this time? You are doing a great job. I am really impressed. I am glad you could use the a-pillars. I knew that the one that was cracked would come out nice since the break was clean. Keep those pics a-comin'.

mopardude318 hey, ur doing a good job! keep it up! quarter looks good, and so does the A-pillar trim...
Thanks,how's the 318 in the cuda coming along ?
bayyum lookin good man! great work so far. its good to see someone doing everything themselves
Thank you,I believe in doing as much as I can myself.Just makes it that much more My car and saves $ too.
GTXperience Joe, how did I miss this thread all this time? You are doing a great job. I am really impressed. I am glad you could use the a-pillars. I knew that the one that was cracked would come out nice since the break was clean. Keep those pics a-comin'.
Ben I haven't updated this thread much so it stays under the radar and gets burried.Also I think I tend to post at odd times.The super glue worked well on the cracked A-pillar trim but I strengthened it on the reverse with a good coating of J B Weld.
bkd GREAT Job looks good
Thank you very much! I'm really starting to feel good about this project getting the body solid and square certainly has changed the way I look at the car.
Tnplumber Looks great, like those cop rims on her.
Thanks,It's tricky getting the cop car wheels to look right on an a-body .But I like em even if others don't...

Well I thought with the long 3-day weekend I'd get a lot farther on the Dart.But with family barbeques and the fourth of July it was a challenge .I did manage to block-sand the body and get it shot with primer.Of course I found a few more dings that will need to be taken care of .Funny how I never saw them before I sprayed the primer!Looks like there's some more sanding in My future...

in primer finally 002.JPG

in primer finally 003.JPG

in primer finally 012.JPG

Looks like you spent the week end about the same as me. Sanding and shooting primer.
Your doing nice work.

Thanks! I've been following your thread and it seems our projects are running neck and neck.Eventually I'm gonna need to go the full route like you have and pull the windows out and everything.But at this point I'm just trying to get it looking decent for when I get it running hopefully in the not to far off future.

While you are at it I would get rid of those side marker lights too...I had a 72 and thought they were pretty ugly. Either no lights or maybe some of those cool 71s or some round one. Just a thought.

While you are at it I would get rid of those side marker lights too...I had a 72 and thought they were pretty ugly. Either no lights or maybe some of those cool 71s or some round one. Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion,But I think I'll leave it as is The side markers don't bother Me at all and serve to break up that expanse of blank sheet metal.Not to mention a small degree of added safety by allowing the car to be a bit more visible to all those clueless drivers out there.Plus I really don't have the skills to fill or modify the holes without distorting the quarter panel.

there is a nice 72 dart (4 door) at dorris auto wreckers in hayward, someone got the grill, but i think the fenders were in good shape.

there is a nice 72 dart (4 door) at dorris auto wreckers in hayward, someone got the grill, but i think the fenders were in good shape.

Thanks for that!Gonna be outta town for a couple days but I might go check it out when I get back just to see if there's anything I could use.

looks very very good buddy! nice job!

My 318 is coming along slowly...But good news, I ordered a set of those RHS heads today!!! Should be getting them in a couple weeks!! After thinking long and hard about it, I decided it was a necessity to get these heads. lol...

looks very very good buddy! nice job!

My 318 is coming along slowly...But good news, I ordered a set of those RHS heads today!!! Should be getting them in a couple weeks!! After thinking long and hard about it, I decided it was a necessity to get these heads. lol...

Thanks,It's a ten footer now rather than a twenty footer LOL !As far as your 318 goes.You may as well do things the way you want, you'll be happier in the long run.Will you be keeping the cuda then?Even if you decide to sell,it'll be far more desirable if it's mechanically finished.But I bet once you get it running your not gonna want to part with it !:-D

Looks good! Your one up on me now, I'll be shooting color this week end.

Thanks,I've been waiting for this for weeks now if not months .It's far from perfect but I'm so happy as there's no runs or drips !I'll be looking forward to seeing your Dart with paint.

Thanks,It's a ten footer now rather than a twenty footer LOL !As far as your 318 goes.You may as well do things the way you want, you'll be happier in the long run.Will you be keeping the cuda then?Even if you decide to sell,it'll be far more desirable if it's mechanically finished.But I bet once you get it running your not gonna want to part with it !:-D

Yes, I have decided to keep it.:) And with the rumble of the new cam, I'm sure that will also make me wanna keep it..lol

SO, where'd you learn your body skills? We need to get together sometime so you could show me a couple tips! lol

Yes, I have decided to keep it.:) And with the rumble of the new cam, I'm sure that will also make me wanna keep it..lol

SO, where'd you learn your body skills? We need to get together sometime so you could show me a couple tips! lol

Good choice,you put a lot of work into that car it would be a shame if you didn't get to enjoy it.
As far as My autobody skills I just read all the articles I can on the subject, and ask a lot of questions whenever I can.My neighbor across the way is a retired autobody guy as I mentioned before in the thread.His input has been invaluble.Mostly it's just trial and error, if I were to start again I'm sure the results would be much better.I see lots of little imperfections that I'm gonna let go for now .

Time to update My thread I reckon.I have been making steady progress lately. After getting the body in paint it was time to add the gloss-black Phantom stripe .I've seen this on other cars that were flat black and I really liked the effect .I created mine by carefully masking then spraying a clear to create a ghost stripe that's not visible at all angles .The flash makes it stand out more.I also changed the dimensions of the stripes the center stripe is somewhat narrower and the outside stripes are wider.I like the scale better than having a wide stripe flanked by two very thin pin stripes.

fuel tank install 002.JPG

fuel tank install 003.JPG

fuel tank install 006.JPG

Next I installed the new fuel tank with 3/8" sending unit .tank was carefully cleaned and was sprayed with a clear to prevent rust.

fuel tank install 008.JPG

fuel tank install 011.JPG

Also added this custom fuel filler cap.Had to cut the end off the stock filler neck.The ends butt up against each other inside the connector tube.from the outside looking down the filler neck with the cap removed it looks seamless.(note just replaced those cheap chinese crap hose clamps with some stainless steel ones)

fuel tank install 017.JPG

fuel tank install 013.JPG

fuel tank install 014.JPG

fuel tank install 016.jpg

fuel tank install 020.JPG

I wasn't able to take any pictures as it was a very messy job and I didn't want to risk my camera.But I rebuilt My manual steering box with a 20-1 assembly.The turns lock to lock went from 5 3/4 turns to 4 and 3/4 turns .Also got all the front sheetmetal on except for the hood.Had to sand/fill/sand/paint the passenger side fender (again)as it took a nasty fall.Here's a couple more pics.I like the way the car looks in the garage in the late afternoon.After reinstalling the headlights and temporarily mounting the front bumper it looks to Me like the Dart is cracking a smile now that it's enjoying some attention.

fuel tank install 035.JPG

fuel tank install 039.JPG

Stripe looks great! I really like the gas cap. I was wanting to do the same thing, If you don't mind where did you get the cap from?
Your car is coming along nice.

-
Back