**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
Why did you step it up from 3.5 to 5? Especially being that the exhaust is so short.

I stepped it up to 5" for the look only, I like the way cars look with pipes behind the front tires. Plus when is the last time you seen 5" Oval exhaust tips?? I have never seen them.
When the car is back on the ground I will mark the pipes and cut them back a bit more so you only see them a little.

Tim's Dart is sweet. I wouldn't exactly call it quiet, though. Don't really agree with doing test runs down a main street either, but then again, I guess I've done it too.

Yeah that is the wrong area to be twisting it up! You move so much ground so fast and it is VERY dangerous.........life taking at that!!

I built a ram air system for a friend a while back and needed 6" oval tubing. Put a small pipe inside of it, under the legs of my engine hoist with another one hooked to the chain on the upper arm and just cranked it up, instant oval tubing.....

I wouldn't exactly call it quiet, though.

What I meant was for running a straight pipe about 4 foot long with absolutely no muffler a turbo car is pretty darn quiet. Uncap our NA cars at the headers and use a decible meter. I guarantee that our NA Strokers will register WAY higher.

Shoot our NA cars are louder with the mufflers on them, especially when you are getting on it.:-D

This is going to be one nasty azzzz ride. Just love the look of your exhaust dumps on those exterior shots Louis. You could make some simple brackets/hangers to support the tips off the two lower fender bolts.

This is going to be one nasty azzzz ride. Just love the look of your exhaust dumps on those exterior shots Louis. You could make some simple brackets/hangers to support the tips off the two lower fender bolts.

Thanks, I do believe it will look better on the ground and cut back an inch or so.

Yes I was going to do a little hanger bracket right there after I know for sure that the other side ends up in the exact same place.

Thanks, I do believe it will look better on the ground and cut back an inch or so.

Yes I was going to do a little hanger bracket right there after I know for sure that the other side ends up in the exact same place.

I"m with you on that score, the tips need trimming just a bit to pull them more under the rocker. With your fab skillzzzz you wont have any problem making the other side match.

I"m with you on that score, the tips need trimming just a bit to pull them more under the rocker. With your fab skillzzzz you wont have any problem making the other side match.

Ok, I got the other side done and it does match!! I was worried about it......really no joke!

Here it is. When the parts get here I will be cutting in the waste gate exhaust into the Turbo Exhaust out.............I needed to get this done first so If I needed to TWIST the pipes I still could. After the waste gate exhaust is cut in there is NO MOVING ANYTHING!!

View attachment IMG_2394.jpg

View attachment IMG_2395.jpg

View attachment IMG_2396.jpg

View attachment IMG_2399.jpg

View attachment IMG_2400.jpg

View attachment IMG_2401.jpg

View attachment IMG_2402.jpg

View attachment IMG_2403.jpg

View attachment IMG_2404.jpg

That is so freaking cool.... I want a turbo too!

Wish I could be there for the start up and first run down the track.

That is so freaking cool.... I want a turbo too!

Wish I could be there for the start up and first run down the track.

I want turbos too. And found a pair on craigslist for 425. They are now in my gerage waiting for the motor to get installed...........

I built a ram air system for a friend a while back and needed 6" oval tubing. Put a small pipe inside of it, under the legs of my engine hoist with another one hooked to the chain on the upper arm and just cranked it up, instant oval tubing.....

That is a really good Idea!

I nott dat smrttt t du thnkg lik dat.:-D

That is a really good Idea!

I nott dat smrttt t du thnkg lik dat.:-D
eyez got lurnd in publik skolz. i knot tink ov dat ether :bootysha:

I do have to agree though its a great idea. wonder if there are any pics of the final outcome. or more detailed discription. i would assume you cant just use a 1 in tube inside of a 6 in one or it would end up really narrowbut i think that a 2 or 2.5 in tube inside a 6in would work well. te bummer part is being limited on how long of a piece youcould do at once, and what about a bend how does that work?

Update on the front half of the cage!

My buddy who builds the full chassis cars finally got the time to order the pipe. We will be using 1 5/8 .125 wall DOM Pipe to finish the rest of it off. The main hoop is 1 3/4 which makes it legal to run the smaller pipe up front. It will be delivered to my Shop this Saturday. I guess it is time to Pull the front glass so I will be calling my Glass buddy to come pull the windshield out. I am sure it will be a bigger job than I am expecting like everything else has been!

Oh and the rest of the parts for the plumbing got here so I will be working on that Thursday I hope. I have probably 1 more clean up order for the hose that goes to the intercoolers, heat exchanger etc. I also need to order the Pump for the Air/Water circulation. There will be 4 - 7" Fans mounted on the radiator that pull or push 1100CFM each so 4400CFM of air cooling the Radiator. They only draw 3 amps each so I will be using 1 Bosch Relay to control them with a Temp Switch in a water jacket at the manifold.

Definetly different Louis.Heck with your talent,I,m surprised they,re not coming out at the bottom of the fenders.Now that would be sweet!8)Keep doing what you do!

eyez got lurnd in publik skolz. i knot tink ov dat ether :bootysha:

I do have to agree though its a great idea. wonder if there are any pics of the final outcome. or more detailed discription. i would assume you cant just use a 1 in tube inside of a 6 in one or it would end up really narrowbut i think that a 2 or 2.5 in tube inside a 6in would work well. te bummer part is being limited on how long of a piece youcould do at once, and what about a bend how does that work?
It has been a while but if I remember right I used 1 1/2" tubing inside the 6" piece. If you go to http://www.spintechmufflers.com/oval-round-tubing/cat_97.html you will find oval exhaust tubing.......it is a bit pricey and my friend did not want to spend the money on it. We only needed two 6" long pieces. We used a normal GM air filter housing so we needed the oval tube to be no taller than it. Does that make any more sense of it?? If not, let me know, I will have him email me some pictures of it and I will post them.......

yeah makes sense thanks for more detail it helps.
For the flex tubing between the tubes in the core support and the tubes on the air filter housing he used 6" a/c tubing from a home hvac system. He pulled the insulation off of it and it was aluminum tubing underneath. I think he just got the a/c tubing from Home Depot. That is how the 6" size came about......

I worked on the car a little yesterday.

I had the wrong silicone parts and the lengths of the pipe had to be redone. The exit on the turbo is 3.25" and the parts I had were 3.5" which didn't fit very well. It is all snug now and it is the final mock up on them before I pull the Mock engine back out.

I also added the connections for the water lines to the intercoolers. I used Gray SCH 80 connectors. They are inexpensive and effective. I was going to use Stainless lines and AN fittings but for the whole set up to the pump etc would have been around $300.00. The way I am doing it now will cost about $30.00 for all the connectors, clamps and 3/4 Heater Hose. You wont see any of the fittings accept 2 of them through the grill at the heat exchanger, no big deal!

The engine is offset to the passenger side of the car as you all know, so the intake to carb tube needed to be longer on the Drivers side to end up in the same place as the passenger which is centered in front of the Carb to enter the Hat.

View attachment IMG_2412.jpg

View attachment IMG_2413.jpg

View attachment IMG_2415.jpg

View attachment IMG_2416.jpg

View attachment IMG_2417.jpg

View attachment IMG_2418.jpg

View attachment IMG_2419.jpg

Looking Great can't wait to see it all come together, and here it!!!!8^)

Worked on the car for about an hour. Took the Heat Exchanger out and put the fittings in it.

View attachment IMG_2424.jpg

Painted he heads that I got back from Brian at IMM Engines. I had them upgraded for the SOLID ROLLER cam, they were NEW never used still in the boxes from when I got them months ago.........The new spring pressures are around 175lbs at installed height on the seat and 510lbs open.

The valve covers will make the engine have some Bling......

View attachment IMG_2425.jpg

View attachment IMG_2426.jpg

View attachment IMG_2427.jpg

View attachment IMG_2428.jpg

View attachment IMG_2429.jpg

View attachment IMG_2430.jpg

View attachment IMG_2431.jpg

View attachment IMG_2432.jpg

Looking good! Is the bottom end of the engine already built? Are you going to test drive it before paint, or tear it all down and paint it before putting it all together?

-
Back