typewriter drive conversion??

-

chuck perry

Reaction score
is there a way or is there a conversion kit to put the old push button shifter on to a "newer" 727/904 transmission? we have a36 Plymouth
and for a bit more room and to clean up the "rod" so too speak we are wanting to try to run a push button shifter on to a 727 and down the line change it out to a 904. any info would and could help to see if this is something doable cost permitting

The original pushbutton had a cable that went into the trans and connected to the valve-body.. I think with a lotta patience, fabrication, and sealing, it could be made to work on the "outside" of a newer style trans,.. Park might be the toughest,, it was a lever, and a second cable IIRC..

It would be a challenge..

hope it helps

There's always Edel...............

EdselDash.jpg

Whatever this thing is....

https://aftermarketpress.com/index....e-automatic-s-smart-shift-push-button-shifter

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/sema-...ps-a-push-button-shifter-for-any-transmisson/

There's always Edel...............
EdselDash.jpg
Ha.. those buttons controlled 5 or 6 solenoids on the firewall.. They were "un-available" back in the 70's,.. I had to take two of them home one night, and hand-rewind them,, to get it to shift... Edsel.. sheeesh..

I don't see why you could not adapt an aftermarket shifter cable kit to the pushbutton mechanism and have it work the same way as it would with a lever. I've got Pushbutton units for $40 each if you'd like to give it a shot.

I do not think the factory pushbutton typewriter will operate an aftermarket cable,

I've seen a guy use the push button style tranny/cables/controler-- adapted to his rat style rod-- worked slick. Lawrence

Research this, but my understanding is that the 64- cars have a different shift pattern. 65 cars have the now-standard P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern (per Fed mandate), but still had the cable-shift transmission, so those have a 1-yr only valve body. But, I don't think there was a push-button shifter in 1965. My 65 Dart has a floor-shifter, and my 65 Newport a column shifter. BTW, my 65 C-body tranny has a sliding yoke output like later ones.

I think you might get a 64- push-button to work with a later tranny if you relabel the buttons to get the later pattern in the shift cable motion (might be able to move factory labels around). You would also need to connect to the lever on a later tranny, at the correct lever arm to match the cable motions. My 96 Voyager 2.4L A-413 "Torqueflite" transmission has a cable shift to a lever, and the internals are almost identical to 60's 904 trannys, so perhaps you could "leverage" some of those parts (pun), and those vans are hitting the junkyards. However, the shift cable is "grounded" w/ a plastic holder, which broke in my van, but a wrap of stainless wire fixed that.

Ok, I've got a controller right here in front of me. The lever that controls the cable moves in accordance with the standard PRND21 pattern. Also, looking at it, with a small bit of fabrication to make a cable mount, there's no reason it wouldn't operate an aftermarket cable. The only issue I see, is that you would not be able to get the trans into Park using only the one shift cable. Considering that a lot of full tilt trannies don't have Park at all, I don't see that as a major roadblock.

first off thanks everyone for the info.
I myself have never even looked at the mechanics of a push button so I am blind right now.
whitepunkonnitro. I will keep that in mind . money is always a issue it would be at least 3 wks before I can even commit to that.

-
Back