Ugliest, most overpriced French car on CL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
This, I think, is beyond stupid, ignorant, crack, meth, any current popular drug. This my friends, is criminal insanity

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4355242693.html

RARE CITROEN SM 72/73 - $5000 (Post Falls, Idaho)

NOTE: I DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAILS OR TEXT'S..YOU CALL!

GREAT INVESTMENT PROJECT! This very rare Citroen has the dual overhead cam Maserati V-6 engine with 3 Weber carbs and 5 speed manual transmission. Ran good about 6 years ago when I worked on it for previous owner. Needs restoration and missing driver's inside door panel. Idaho title. Was car of the year in '72 and good for about 140MPH. Gold color with tan leather interior.

Last owner let it sit with battery in it and cables are corroded so no power to starter. The gas tank and fuel lines need to be cleaned out also. I am a mechanic and drove this car about 6 years ago after working on it. Because it won't start now the hydraulic suspension does not pump up. I loaded on a trailer with my winch and have not had time to work on it.

If I get it in my shop and get it running again the price goes up! 5K firm!

Check out Jay Leno's one on his website.
CALLS ONLY
(208) 457XXXX

Attachments

• 00c0c_7zuvNQIw2lS_600x450.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 393
  • 00M0M_5SYHFvhgANg_600x450.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 375
  • 00p0p_55cipxQ5v8r_600x450.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 00101_chVgqHCvm4f_600x450.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 00202_cy3XL2bHmXa_600x450.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 01414_b0evclbTrds_600x450.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 379
So ugly it's cool. I like it. The interior looks pretty futuristic for the early 70's.

I worked on one of those once, with the Maserati motor, back when I worked at an independent import garage in the 80's. Boy, that thing was Car of the Year in '72?! They must've felt sorry for the French that year.

I don't even wanna think about the parts cost/availability either......

Careful, before you start making these declarations!.....

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4367360370.html

1964 renault dauphine - $5500 (tc mich)

01313_kbwP69Dx7Vb_600x450.jpg

Pretty amazing car for it's day...far more advanced than anything the Big Three was producing especially at that time..

Looks are debatable but Ma Chrysler produced the first Charger and barracuda which are not universal loved and quite controversial.

"Contemporary automotive journalists were most effusive about the SM's dynamic qualities, which were unlike anything they had experienced before. The SM provided a combination of comfort, sharp handling, and high performance not available in any other car at the time. The magazine Popular Science noted that the SM had the shortest stopping distance of any car they had tested."

This car had features which are still not included on most cars..

Innovative features:
. hydro-pneumatic (oleopneumatic) self-leveling suspension
. self-leveling lights that swiveled with the steering
. steering is self-centering and fully powered (as opposed to hydraulically assisted)
This feature allows the front wheels to run near-zero caster, and means that there is no camber change as lock is applied, and
also ensures that the maximum amount of tyre area is in contact with the road at all times. The system also adjusts the
hydraulic pressure on the steering centering cam according to vehicle speed so that the amount of steering feel remained
almost constant at any speed, counteracting the tendency of manual and ordinary power assisted steering to feel light at
high speed. Thus the car turns easily at low speed, emphasized by high gearing given two turns lock-lock, and relatively
more effort is required at higher speed.
. the wiper mechanism is 'sensitive' to rain, by measuring the current needed to drive the wiper motor
. he steering column is adjustable in both height and reach.
. braking system, adapted from the DS, employs disk brakes at all four corners with the front brakes being inboard, and cooled via large
ducts on the front underside of the car.
. hydraulic braking pressure front to rear balance is self-adjusting according to the weight in the rear of the car.
. factory option wheel was available for lightweight wheels made of composites. These wheels weigh less than half the standard weight
and are possibly a unique application of composites on a production vehicle.

It may be ugly.Way ahead of its time as grassy pointed out.

Interesting car but a total fright pig now.
I remember checking one out at the Detroit auto show
Unique & expensive then.
It's a French car with an Italian engine, really? And you don't expect any problems?

You can put lipstick and earrings on a pig and call her a beauty queen, don't change the fact its still a pig.

Correct you are...I was just going to say I didn't know of any truly reliable Italian cars then I remembers who now owns Chrysler...

I cannot remember which model of citroen it was, but to pull the transmission, it was a 2 day job...but car companies tend to sell you their crs without revealing all the problems to maintain them...

You can put lipstick and earrings on a pig and call her a beauty queen, don't change the fact its still a pig.

That was what one of the Porsche family said about the 911. You cannot make a pig into a thoroughbred racehorse but you can make an awfully fast pig...

Unfortunately, the french were not the only ones that made ugly cars..

Not the same model,is a Citroen.....

Attachments

• 113_0703_01_z+1966_citroen+front_view-1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 306
I'd love to own one someday, not a basket case like that but a nice one. But I would have to be wealthy.

Not the same model,is a Citroen.....
DS 19, dates back into the early 50's. Was the first to get the hydraulic suspension. They all 'lower' themselves at speed for better handling and then raise back up when on surface streets. The power windows took a page from early Cadillac's and are hydraulic as well.
The SM isn't universally liked by Citroen aficionados either. A little out there in a 70's excess kind of way.
A friend of the owner of the Vintage Race shop that I used to work for had a Citroen parts business in Santa Clarita, CA. I dimly recall that he passed away about 5 years ago, so the business is probably gone.

For the how in the hell did they get there question, for the Nova Scotians out there, I believe there were 3 deux chevaux in musquodoboit ....never saw them but heard various rumors..

It is also the place where Curtis Mclean grew up...he is the guy that sells tool boxes for over 100K USD.

His web site which isn't working too well is http://www.curtiscustoms.com/curtis maclean bio.html

ian.

I'd love to own one someday, not a basket case like that but a nice one. But I would have to be wealthy.

Nope NO. NNNNNnnNNNnNnanananananoooooooooo oohhhh!!!

There's about 1000 different vehicles I'll own before I'd ever want that ugly turd, and probly not THEN either

In fact, generally, I can't think of very many "Franch" cars I'd want.

No Citroens, and no Peugeots

Yes, but you won't have to worry about a flat tire.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HK2nTRvm_s"]Citroen GS running with three wheels. - YouTube[/ame]

my first car was a citroen, BX
it was also pretty advanced for its age
most of the body panels were fiberglass and it also had the hydraulic suspension under it
it was a pain in the winter though, took several minutes for the oil to warm up and get the car up out of the weeds

-
Back