Ugly Bastard.. 67 Barracuda Notch

-
Thanks Scott.

Today I drilled the spot welds and cut out the drivers side trunk extension, and cut out a piece from my '69 Dart parts car.

I fabbed a piece to tie in the back end of the frame rails and to have something to weld in the trunk extensions.

And here it is ready for me to sort something out for the bottom of the wheel housing, and make up a trunk extension.

Nice Cuda! I have a 67 Cuda Notchback myself. I just rebuilt the 318 in it. Its all original except for the V-8. It too is a slant-six model. Keep up the good work. looking forward to see it progress.

Thanks, feel free to put up a picture of yours here.

Earlier this evening I cut out the upper skin from the flat hood on my '69 Dart parts car to use for flat stock to fab in body panels. Like I said earlier, I'll be making trunk extensions from flat stock, I'm not concerned about the stamped ridges.

Thanks! This is a learn as I go process, as I haven't done much bodywork before. Mainly just welding 1/2" steel at work with a stick.

I'll likely be doing much of the same here in a few years when I make it back to Texas-I like what you're doing on that fish, and I can't wait to watch the progress on it.

Thanks! This is a learn as I go process, as I haven't done much bodywork before. Mainly just welding 1/2" steel at work with a stick.

You and me both Mike. Just take your time and make sure YOU are happy with what you are doing. Each piece you replace is pure satisfaction.

Been a while since I've posted anything on this. I recently pulled the 727 out of the car, and it'll be replaced with the 833.

I also did a bit more work on the trunk, by cutting out this piece and replacing it with one I cut out of my '69 Dart parts car. Not a ton of progress, but it's slowly getting attention.

The patch looks good. Definitely nice to have a parts car to cut the exact shape for replacing pieces. With patience you will hardly be able to notice it.

This morning I traded my '64 Chrysler 300 for a low mileage '67 383 which came with an Offenhauser aluminum intake and a rebuild kit, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. Originally I was thinking of putting it in my '66 W300 but I've decided to put it in my '67 Cuda. I've got a Direct Connection big block A body K member, just need too round up a big block bellhousing. Good thing the guy I bought the '68 Cuda from called today and said he's got an 18 spline Hemi 4 speed with big block bellhousing for me.
Also kinda cool that the engine is the same year as the car.

Brand new big block Thornley truck headers

Truck oil pan

K member

Finished off the sheet metal fabbing in the trunk today and seam sealed it all. Tomorrow I'm going to POR15 it all. I put the rear valence in place to see how everything lines up, and I'll tack it into place. This rear valence has dual exhaust cut out but no reverse light holes so it must be from a '68 Cuda.

Next thing is onto the floors.

Yep, sure is an ugly bastage, you can shipper 'er right to my front door, I'll take the ugly duckling off yer hands!

NICE engine swap!

I pulled all the wiring out of the engine bay as well as the steering column. I looked through all my parts cars for a good drivers inner fender, and they were all rusted in different areas. Finally I found a rust free one in a '74 Dart. I tacked in some rebar in the Cuda between the rad support and firewall to keep it from moving when I remove the inner fender. Once the inner is out, I'll be able to see what exactly is going on there at the frame rail and what needs to be done.

Like the engine trade,running a factory 383 k member,or Schumacher's setup?

I tacked in a piece of rebar to somewhat stabilize the front end and I drilled the spot welds and removed the Cuda drivers side inner fender. The shock tower was what rotted, but the frame rail was a little soft below it. I patched the rail and braced the shock tower with 3/16" steel. I cleaned up the replacement inner fender and spot welded it back in.

-
Back