Ugly Bastard.. 67 Barracuda Notch

-
Got a bit more done today. Made up my own trunk extensions - not the prettiest but they'll work, and they didn't cost me anything. Welded those in, then sprayed undercoating on the bottom side. I used POR-15 in the trunk. I removed the passenger fender and cut out a section of the inner that was rotted. I cut out a cleaner one from the parts Cuda, but it'll have to wait until I'm home from work. I also dropped the K frame and suspension/brakes out the bottom of the car to rebuild the suspension and swap over to the big block DC K member. Looks like another 340 K member with the welded washer. I pulled the windshield, but unfortunately it split coming out. Oh well, it was pretty foggy.

Had some free time today, got all the holes in the rear valence spot welded and ground flat, as well as the drivers inner fender. I had cut out a rotted section of the passenger inner fender and replaced it with a piece from a parts car. I pulled the header panel, bumper and lower valence and discovered a few more areas that need work. Someone had bent the piece under the rad way out of wack so I formed it back, and I cut out a section of the rad support that had a hole rusted though. I originally cut out the same piece from a parts car for the factory hole, but it was pitted, so I just made one out of flat stock. I think I'm going with a cream/off white color with this car so I'll be prepping the engine bay. I'll probably just buy paint made up in rattle cans for areas like the engine bay, door jams, etc.

Finished up that patch, then cleaned up any old stickers off the inner fenders, cleaned up any surface rust, removed most things from the firewall and primed the engine bay.
I'm still going to POR15 the frame rails and then I'll see about buying paint in rattle cans for the engine bay.
I also removed the dash. I want to use the '68 style with the lower dash pad, and my '68 Cuda has a Nice complete dash with gauges so I'll just swap the whole thing over and go through it while it's out.

Nice job man, love those notch's... good work on all those patch panels, lookin good.

Right on, thanks guys. Still a long way to go, but it's coming. I'm currently searching for solid floor pans for behind the front seats (back seat foot space), they're full of holes. If anyone has some solid ones, please let me know.

Have you though about getting new panels? I'm sure there is good quality patch panels available.

Man, your hitting this like a Pit bull on a Chihuahua! Love the panel pics. May do my inners one day, never seen them pic'd like yours.

What an ugly bastard you have there!! LOL......nice job saving another Mike :glasses7:

After searching around for floor pans, I thought, why not look in that old Dart out back? So I pulled the ratty interior out and under the moldy carpet found solid floor pans.. Cool! So with a lot of spot welds drilled, and a lot of cursing, I got them out. No rot, just surface rust and dirt. For the front pans I've got some new (10 years old but unused) pans from CrossCanada.

Dark picture but this is the Flintstone '69 Dart sedan.

And the pans just after spraying them down with the hose.

After cutting the drivers rear section of floor out of the Cuda, I noticed I need to fix the area the frame rail welds to first before the floor pan can be done.
The picture isn't great but you can see to the right the rust.

Attachments

• IMG_20141224_145738.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 540
I cleaned up the front frame rails and painted them, welded up a few small holes on the inner fenders, used POR 15 on the K frame, undercoated the inners, and found some more rust to fix. There is a hole rusted through behind the drivers side fresh air box.
I was going to use the DC big block K member but I'd have to pull apart this setup, and it has all new bushings vs the DC k member that sat in the bush for 20 years. I'll just get the Schumacher kit and notch the perch.

I cut out a patch from the '69 Dart sedan, and noticed a slight difference in the panels. The '69 has a bump or where the '67 is flat. The '69 allows for the foot pump for the washer fluid, so I used that piece so I can avoid trying to find a working electric pump. My cuts weren't all that straight, probably due to my wine hangover from last night, but it works and it's now covered in undercoating.

Next time use the piece you are replacing as a template to cut out your replacement. It'll fit damn near exact. Might need some slight filing.

Next time use the piece you are replacing as a template to cut out your replacement. It'll fit damn near exact. Might need some slight filing.

Lol, I did, the grinder took its own course because I couldn't see straight ..

But in reality, I cut the rusty one out, but when I went to cut out the new one, I realized the first piece was too small to allow for the bumped out area, so I cut the new piece to a size that would work, and marked it out over the hole cut on the Cuda. Those new cuts were a bit wavy, resulting in the gaps.

-
Back