Ugly Bastard.. 67 Barracuda Notch

-
Wow,you must a had one heck of a wine-over (hang over)! Lol,been there.....Oh well. It's like you said,covered in undercoat now.... Not in a hi visibility area anyways.

I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I've been slowly working away on the Cuda. I replaced the entire floor pan and welded in the 4 speed hump. I seam sealed it all and then used POR15.
Some of you are probably thinking I should have just saved myself the trouble and bought an AMD floor, but I actually enjoy the challenge of reusing old parts and fabbing what I need. Not to mention all the parts came from parts cars in my backyard, as opposed to spending close to a grand by the time it was shipped to my house. Also thanks to Tom (Dartnut) for the 4 speed hump from one of his Dart Sports in Cranbrook.

I also painted the gauge cluster bezel myself. It's not perfect, but it's fine for me.

It started out like the bottom one.

I changed it to the 150 MPH speedo and added a clock in the middle.

Looking good. I have a question though.. Seeing the 2 different bezels, you have choice of inst' housings and climate controllers ? They aren't the same or easily interchangeable. You'll need the 68-9 housing and climate controller. You'll also need to reroute one of the cables at the plenum door lever.

Great work Mike. I'm like you. I can't stand the thought of the outrageous shipping charges today. If you have a good floor why wouldn't you use it? There is guys selling them on here all the time. That bezel looks great too. Nice to see you're still at it.

Looking good. I have a question though.. Seeing the 2 different bezels, you have choice of inst' housings and climate controllers ? They aren't the same or easily interchangeable. You'll need the 68-9 housing and climate controller. You'll also need to reroute one of the cables at the plenum door lever.

I've got a '68 Barracuda in the back, and I'm actually using the whole dash from it since I like the thumbwheel radio and lower dash pad. I've also got a '68 Valiant with rally dash in the back, lots of spare parts to figure it out. But thanks, I appreciate the info. Now I'll have a heads up when I get there.

Here's the rest of the '68 dash I went through. I tore it down, painted the frame, cleaned up the dash pads, and painted the bezels.
Still looking for an ash tray, anyone have one?

Sorry the pics are sideways.

The passenger quarter was rusted out along the bottom and into the rocker, and had been side swiped twice. A full quarter from Direct Connection came with the '68 fastback I bought, so it'll be used on my '67. Just have a marker light hole to fill. I need to fix some areas on the rocker, as well as under the rocker in front of the wheel. I'll be using the panel adhesive along the top side to prevent warping down the quarter.
I pulled the back window as well, nice that it came out without breaking. There's a bit of rust in the window channel, but it's nothing scary. You can see the original blue that the car was painted. Too bad someone painted it maroon. Oh, check out the dried up rodent I found under the gasket, along with the first era of Kokanee twist off.
I'll be upgrading front and rear gaskets to the '68 style and using window trim.
I pulled the 741 case 3.91 SG and installed a 742 case 3.23 SG.

Glad to see you still at it, Mike.
I like your style of using what you have to fix the car on the cheap as well as recycling the ***** and bits from parts cars that nobody thinks of using because they ''aren't perfect''!
Finally, i get to see the old 4 speed hump that you got from me out of the '75 Dart Sport installed.
Keep up the good work, Mike.
Oh, and i remember twisting off a lot of those Kokanee caps back in the day. Those are from the early '80s.......
Tom.

The good thing about re-using factory parts is they fit alot better than aftermarket.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I never understand the guys who sell just the trim off a good parts car and then figure it's worthless so have it crushed. So much good sheet metal and mechanical left on it!

Would be awesome to actually have a backyard,yet alone one with a few part cars in it! Im kinda stuck with ordering parts,and am very challenged for storage space for the pieces I have.The backyard has a 10x8 storage shed that takes up literally a third of the space,and that is full of parts. About 1/4 of my carport is filled with major components too heavy to be hauled up a set of stairs.

Reusing factory sheetmetal is awesome. I just need a bigger place for parts cars and I would do the same as you!

After cutting out the quarter, I found more rust (surprise!) in the rocker and below the quarter window. I cut it out, and hand made part of it as well as cut out parts of the rocker from the '68 in the yard.
Then I made up the bottoms of the outer wheel tub to weld the replacement quarter to.
Today a friend and I fitted the new quarter to the body and used panel adhesive along the top side. With a 3 1/2 minute bonding time, there's not much room for error!

[/[URL]

[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/screaming_nut00/media/1967%20Plymouth%20Barracuda/IMG_20150925_141638_zpsapylpt5y.jpg.html]

URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/screaming_nut00/media/1967%20Plymouth%20Barracuda/IMG_20150926_163006_zps9qumuhrw.jpg.html]
IMG_20150926_163006_zps9qumuhrw.jpg
[/URL]

What panel adhesive did you use.

I used the Proform PF 7773, it was $40 a tube compared to the 3M which was $75. I bought a couple tubes thinking I'd use them all, but turns out it lasts a while, I only used 1/4 of the tube on the whole upper section. I'm thinking I'll use the adhesive along the trunk extension and possibly on the wheel arch, and spot weld the door jamb, the tail light area, and under the rocker.

Just checked out your thread from start to finish Mike, lots of work but a great example of a low budget build and how one can recycle some cars that can only be donors. That Mopar Mouse clearly passed on a happy little fellow, lol! Love the notches and will be watching you're progress on this Ugly Bastard!! Dan.

Looking good Mike. You are building just like I do. I will salvage every part I can before I will buy new. I just swapped a floor pan into the Savoy. As a fellow once told me, "That's how we used to build them before all the aftermarket parts became available." I told him they were way more talented than I because they had to use a torch and sometimes coat hangers!

Both doors that came with this car are in beautiful shape, they actually look like they've never been used before. However, the windows and cranks had some issues. The windows would never roll up or down correctly you always had to help them along, and the glass had some chips and big scratches. So I took apart some '67 Barracuda coupe doors I had from another part-out and moved the guts over to my good doors.
Both lower hinges were completely worn out and flopping around so I swapped all 4 out with the ones from the '68 Valiant in the back which were like new. I mounted the passenger door last night and it looks good on there. It's missing the weatherstripping but the donor door has it as well.
The drivers door glass came out easy since it was already shattered in a thousand pieces in the bottom of the door..

Donor door

Good door

Don't mind the mess..

Doors, often good metal. Having a window in them = another money pit. Felts, glass guides, renew regulators, on and on. Hang in there and good luck with any Parts For Sale posts you may have too.

The past couple days I've been fixing the rust in the rear window channel. Both bottom corners had holes. I cut the upper portion of the window channel from the '69 Dart (the bottom was rusty) and welded it in. It should be good enough to seal a window. Luckily the front window channel doesn't need any work.

-
Back