Umm..... What?

-

Sweetjones

Reaction score
Recently I got my motor back in the duster and got her running. Took it around the block and the tranny started to leak. It got worse and worse so I put it on jack stands and traced the leak back to the front seal. My question is that when I started taking the bolts out of the converter it poured fluid from the bolt holes?!?!?! I replaced the bolts when I got the new converter. The converter is a Hughes performance 2500 stall with 340 weights. So did I put to long of a bolt back in it? Will this hurt the converter? Has this happend to anyone else? Lol

No I didn't tighten the bolts to spec. I haven't got the tranny out if the car yet so I'm not exactly sure. I was just wondering about the converter bolt holes leaking.

Anybody know what size bolts are needed? I never had the factory bolts that's why I replaced them all.

No I didn't tighten the bolts to spec. I haven't got the tranny out if the car yet so I'm not exactly sure. I was just wondering about the converter bolt holes leaking.

The convertor bolt holes are no where near the seal or gasket and is on the opposite side of the convertor. If you did ruin the convertor with too long of bolts, it should pour out tranny fluid as soon as you remove the bolt. My guess from the limited information that I have to work with would be the convertor seal was damaged when you put the convertor in.

I'm sorry for the limited info. I just know that it was leaking fluid from behind the converter and when I went to unbolt the flex plate from the converter fluid poured from the bolt holes. I just need to know if i hurt the converter. (Other than having bolts that are to long) it worked just fine when I had it out. When it goes back in ill put some thread sealer on the bolts and see what happens.

The convertor bolts are quite short. (less than half an inch below the head) If you used a standard bolt I'll bet you punctured the converter and it is junk now. If you pull the bolts and there are holes in the converter cover don't expect sealer to save it. It is ruined. Hopefully it's just a converter seal. You can't hang the converter on the seal while installing the snout into the pump.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ar-240-7301

If you didn't torque the bolts to spec, it might not have punched through the cover. unless the bolts used were really long. The cover is about 3/16" thick. I've seen the inside of converters, and while I've seen the cover dimpled inside from too long a bolt, I never saw one that had gone through. If possible air check the converter to see exactly where the leak might be. As others have mentioned, it could be the pump seal has been damaged when you installed the converter.

I'm at work so I can't check to see the size of the bolts I used but I'm sure they are to long. As for the leak behind the converter I'll have to check that out when I pull the transmission out. Thanks everyone for the input.

Quick update.. Not wanting to face the fact that I ruined a brand new converter I put in a new seal and reinstalled the damaged converter with the bolts that was to long and a lot of thread sealer. Toolmanmike was correct it did not seal. There's more pressure in there than I thought. I have a custom built coan converter that I'm putting in today. Learn from my mistakes and get the correct hardware!!!!

Well durn.... but at least it is getting fixed. Before going too far, I would think about cutting the old converter front off with a saw and see if the long bolts hit the blades and knocked any bits loose; I would be concerned that if that was indeed the case, some bits would be floating around the the trannie hydraulics.

-
Back