Underdash A/C

-

Tiki bar jim

Reaction score
Has any y'all installed an under dash A/C in an early A with a factory console? Any clearance issues or which brand is a good fit?
Researching all avenues for winter project. TIA

Here's an article that can help you out with other aspects, it's not a knee knocker but has good tibits of info:

Unless you want an underdash AC unit I would check to see if anyone builds one that is "hidden" behind the dash. Classic Auto Air makes one for the Dusters and Demons, Dart Sports, not sure about other models. I see there is a great thread posted in reply #6 above. Everything in that is current with the exception to the controls. They have updated the controls now so the cables are eliminated. Instead you install potentiometers to the control head and everything is electronic from there on out.

I mounted an under-dash in my 1964 Valiant and 1965 Dart. It was finicky to fit them so they weren't "knee-knockers" and the hoses kept clear of the accel pedal. I used one which came in my Dart (mounted it more competently) and bought a vintage one on ebay for my Valiant (might have swapped them). Both are squat and not very wide. I didn't just hang them from the lower dash like gomer shops did, instead running a strap from the brake pedal support or the top of the dash. In one, I used a U rod to go around the glovebox liner (used failed coping-saw). I also ran a lower strap to a screw in the front of the trans tunnel to secure it under the dash better. Retrofit shops and dealers used to run hoses thru the firewall all the way to the compressor and filter/drier. Instead, I used O-ring fittings at the firewall. Made my own hoses, using a MasterCool crimper and ferrules. The vintage boxes use flare fittings, so had to source proper mates on ebay. In my 273, both hoses pass thru on R side, just under the heat-only OE climate box. In my slant, the small hose runs thru there and the bigger return hose passes high on the L side, routing above the brake pedal bracket. Differences mainly because the connections are on different sides in the AC boxes.

Perhaps as overkill, I tapped a wire inside the box which is hot whenever the box is on. I ran that to the engine bay via unused bulkhead terminal to trigger a vacuum switch which closes a water-valve in the heater hose (1 vac line, spring return). That disables the heater core when AC is in-use. Simpler to tap the AC clutch wire, but then the water valve would only shut when clutch was on. Overkill since the heater box has a separate blower, so even if the heater core is hot, not much hot air would come out. Might even be bad if you wanted to run the windshield defrost with AC running.

A disadvantage of the replacement climate boxes is that they have separate controls so your dash heater cables would no longer be active and just for looks. For some reason that bothered me, but more an emotional problem than tech.

I have an underdash unit that is A/C only that I bought and have not used. It’s been sitting in the box for about 10 years. I thought I would try it but ended up doing Classic Auto Air. When I get back next week I’ll take some pictures of it. If you want it you can pay for the ride and it’s yours. I got from the guy who did all of the Dukes of Hazard Movie….not the TV show. He provided all the cars and modifications for all the cars and said he had to put AC in them for the actors. This one was not installed. I’m was going to install it my friends 64 Plymouth Fury an original wedge car but unfortunately he passed away and his son didn’t want it in there. It’s a knee knocker. I’ll give you all the dimensions. No paperwork on it.

I have an underdash unit that is A/C only that I bought and have not used. It’s been sitting in the box for about 10 years. I thought I would try it but ended up doing Classic Auto Air. When I get back next week I’ll take some pictures of it. If you want it you can pay for the ride and it’s yours. I got from the guy who did all of the Dukes of Hazard Movie….not the TV show. He provided all the cars and modifications for all the cars and said he had to put AC in them for the actors. This one was not installed. I’m was going to install it my friends 64 Plymouth Fury an original wedge car but unfortunately he passed away and his son didn’t want it in there. It’s a knee knocker. I’ll give you all the dimensions. No paperwork on it.
Hey bud, any word on that knee knocker?

Sorry. I didn’t know you were interested. I broke my foot and can’t get to it. Maybe in a few more days I will be able to into the garage and get it out. My apologies.

Ouch!
After I posted that I realized that it wasn’t in response to my thread lol sorry. But yes if you still have it and when you can, I’d like more information about it. Please and thank you

-
Back