Unpopular opinion. I'm so frustrated I hate car shows/cruises.

-
I cant bother w car shows. Hell I have not even worked on either barracuda in over 2 years. I'm just kinda mentally baked with life and everything else. ******* around with welding thin gage sheetmetal in this current mental state wouldent end with a good result anyways. I have went to a few shows thinking it would get me to renew my interest in this stuff, but it has the opposite effect. Maybe I need to switch to a different hobby, or just no hobby. Just burnt out w the car shows, and fixing cars.
I've never lost interest, but I have spent months at a time without making progress on the cars. In my case it is easy because my wife is in it with me. When we see a cool car at a show we are both interested. Health and life has pushed some things back, but we still have the first car we bought together (1968 GTS convertible - her car). She used to go to wrecking yards with me, but her health has made that difficult in recent years. We will cruise in one of our convertibles again soon.

Same here, went to a cruise in, in VA. I was bsing with a guy parked next to me. A couple of cops walked up and we were BSing with them for awhile when it was mentioned they were needed there.
I said yeah incase someone gets stupid, "I was thinking mass shooter" They said someone already has. The whole town blocks off their main street and a similar length of side St.
A woman/girl? got around a barricade went through all these people, street`s full of them and managed to side swipe a beautiful 63 Impala SS. I asked the cop was it white? yes he says. I`m like NOOOOOOOO. lol He said the owner looked like he wanted to kill her. Lol. I had to go look, somebody said her whole side of the car was buggered up. She was up against the the front bumper and I couldn`t find a scratch:wtf: Instant Karma:lol:

We have a Cars and Courage cruise in/car show at Summit Racing early next month that benefits first responders and we may go to that one. It's a nice ride taking the back roads and hopefully it won't be as hot. Should be fun. We'll see how the finances hold out.

I cant bother w car shows. Hell I have not even worked on either barracuda in over 2 years. I'm just kinda mentally baked with life and everything else. ******* around with welding thin gage sheetmetal in this current mental state wouldent end with a good result anyways. I have went to a few shows thinking it would get me to renew my interest in this stuff, but it has the opposite effect. Maybe I need to switch to a different hobby, or just no hobby. Just burnt out w the car shows, and fixing cars.

My interest runs in cycles. You will probably go back to interest in cars. Too many people have said they wished they would have kept what they had.

My interest runs in cycles. You will probably go back to interest in cars. Too many people have said they wished they would have kept what they had.
I'm 55 been messing w this stuff since I was 15. 40 years is a long time

I m coming up on 55 yes I like my old cars but I dont drive them daily. I lived it in the 90s driving old cars having to wrench them on the weekend to get to work Monday. It is/was a way of life,and I was in the business 20 plus years so I always had access to a shop and lift, but now its a hobby. I drive modern fuel economy stuff now for trips and to get to work. Alot of times the only time I drive classic stuff is to shows and to the drag strip on weekends, to me its just fun. If I drove my old cars all the time it wouldn't be fun I don't think...

I go to car shows to hang out with friends and family (Dad has a 69 Cuda and we just finished my son's 31 Model A hot rod). We tend to take the cars that fit the venue or weather. I mostly take my 71 GSS Demon, real Mr Norms 340+6 car. It is a tunnel rammed 440 day 2 car. I get a ton of **** for it as it is but I drive it all over, all the time. People can build their own cars. Only trailered to 1 show and that was because it was snowing for the MCACN show in Chicago. Drove it 3 tines to MITP which by scenic route is 7hrs each way.

I'm 60 and been doing this since I was 10. I feel much the same as you mentioned in your earlier post, but I still go to some show and shine events. I don't enter a vehicle anymore but I do like to see what's there, then leave when I want to. I can't sit around all day long anymore, it just doesn't interest me.
I have put my Dart Sport up for sale locally, just lost interest in it and ready to do something else.
I do all of the maintenance and repairs on all of my cars, so that may be a little bit of the reason I am tired of spending so much time in my garage.

I end up working on my daily drivers also that takes a bit of time away from the old car hobby...plus people bugging me to do side work ...

I end up working on my daily drivers also that takes a bit of time away from the old car hobby...plus people bugging me to do side work ...
I've brought in a few side jobs since I retired nearly six years ago. I'm done with that as it is ALWAYS something else. The project creep keeps their cars here longer than expected and keeps me from doing my stuff. I'll still do things like rebuild control arms and K-members, but not have the car here...

As you well know, sometimes we need a break, and only our own body and mind will say when it time to resume.

BUT...In the short term just other day... my body and mind said quit for today....thermometer said 107. :steering:

I'm 68, been rebuilding engines since I was 19. Life does happen, wife, kids, work, divorce, marriage, crazy fulfilling work, retirement. Always had an early Barracuda with a 273 and a 4 speed. Not an everyday driver, but it was for about 20 years. Got into high end steel bicycles, cowboy action, vintage high end audio, Glad I kept the Barracuda and parts. Not into car shows. Not into numbers matching. When I want something to do, I have 3 Barracudas in the basement to keep up. I love working on cars, I hate having to work on cars. I would keep your favorite, even if it sits for 10 years or more. I'll bet you will be glad you did.

Last edited:
I went to the swap meet In Springfield mo and it sure seems like the interest is not as it used to be. But the Indy meet was great. I like to go to the cruises and shows, some of my cars are not finished and I don’t detail them before I go. Wash and shine is all they get. My Packardhawk gets a lot of”WTF’s”!

I've brought in a few side jobs since I retired nearly six years ago. I'm done with that as it is ALWAYS something else. The project creep keeps their cars here longer than expected and keeps me from doing my stuff. I'll still do things like rebuild control arms and K-members, but not have the car here...
Yeah I try and be nice but the occasional " I don't really have time for this" and " man I have other things I have to do" slips out...

I work as a mechanic for a living. That may have something to do with it. Stress with issues with life outside of work is probably another. I work 8 days on and 6 days off. I have 2 V8s to put together, but have no desire to mess with it. Those 6 days I do as little as possible and just chuck it in the **** it bucket.

Clarion county

55 years ago I would go to the yearly car show in Clarion during the Autumn Leaf Festival. Wow so many years ago. Then I discovered drag racing and could count my car shows that I go to every year on one or two fingers. Everyone gets a trophy crowd kills me. Lmao.

Last edited:
wait. wut?

somebody *opened* the hood and door of your car to have a look-see while you weren't there?
Once at a criuse i saw my wife standing next to the car yelling. We had been walking around and on the way back i stopped few cars down to talk someone we knew. He says she's yelling. So i go see what's up. When i walk up i see there is a guy in my car eatting a Roast Beef Poor Boy dripping juice in the car. I told him to get out the car. And he says wait your turn i am looking at this one. Then says i allready told her wait her turn.....it went down hill fast.

Last edited:
Once at a criuse i saw my wife standing next to the car yelling. We gad had a,walk around and on the way back i stopped few cars down to talk someone we knew. He says she's yelling. So i go see what's up. When i walk up i see there is a guy in my car eatting a Roast Beef Poor Boy dripping juice in the car. I told him to get out the car. And he says wait your turn i am looking at this one. Then says i allready told her wait her turn.....it went down hill fast.

Ohhhh come on now. Poor guy was hungry and wanted to eat sitting down.

I work as a mechanic for a living. That may have something to do with it. Stress with issues with life outside of work is probably another. I work 8 days on and 6 days off. I have 2 V8s to put together, but have no desire to mess with it. Those 6 days I do as little as possible and just chuck it in the **** it bucket.
It will get better if you walk from the business and make cars a hobby...when I did it I realized I didnt enjoy working on minivans and pickup trucks all the time, I just wanted to work on my V8 classic cars...

Once at a criuse i saw my wife standing next to the car yelling. We gad had a,walk around and on the way back i stopped few cars down to talk someone we knew. He says she's yelling. So i go see what's up. When i walk up i see there is a guy in my car eatting a Roast Beef Poor Boy dripping juice in the car. I told him to get out the car. And he says wait your turn i am looking at this one. Then says i allready told her wait her turn.....it went down hill fast.
i hope he "accidentally" fell down while trying to get out of the car. in fact, with all that a jus i could see him slipping and falling several times. it's just too bad his face took the brunt of it because his hands were on the sandwich....

It will get better if you walk from the business and make cars a hobby...when I did it I realized I didnt enjoy working on minivans and pickup trucks all the time, I just wanted to work on my V8 classic cars...
Walked away from turning wrenches over twenty years ago... Play with old cars as a hobby...

-
Back