Use a table ban saw to hack off the 340 piston crown .

-
Follow up ..will be sometime next week when I get home.
IMG_20230604_121740295.jpg

Yea , I thought I would get a good laugh...we here in Alabama like doing it on the cheap... No money's for the machine shop if we can help it.
Here you are.. a portable presision piston hacker. And personal parts modifier. Yours to keep and use over and over again. For only $239.00.

IMG_20230604_121526405.jpg

I don't believe you know what

IMG_20230604_121740295.jpg
the term, cost effective is!
fill yer boots dude, you seem not to care what other sensible or cost effective options you're given so go for it. once you've buggered them and they're un saleable don't say you weren't warned. :thumbsup:

C
Rat Bastid, how do you hold the piston skirts in a three jaw chuck without damaging them or even worse braking the skirts by tightening the chuck. and if you do not tighten it the piston will move around damaging it. Now it appears you have a lot more intelligence so tell me how you do it?
Pictures will help.

4.1" inside diameter pipe sliced in half longways , hold the piston wrapped in rubber/inner tube. And clamp both pipe halves around it.

You can use an angle grinder to gap the rings. Just tossing other great ideas out.
It will.work in the same margin of error you are shooting for.

I haven't read a single post in this thread, but.......
Looking at the thread title, HOW is it possible to have 11 pages on this topic???
Simple entertainment. I come back once a week for a laugh.

The suspense is killing me, do it already. :lol:

This thread reminds me of the paint your car with a paint roller thread that was on Mopartz

So, if I can do math correctly, based upon the website I posted earlier, you can spend $400 for the correct set of pistons, but instead spent $300 for a bandsaw so you could modify another set of pistons you scored on the cheap.

It seems like the most rational thing to do is pop some popcorn and enjoy the posts:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Popped extra for anyone else who wants some

I haven't read a single post in this thread, but.......
Looking at the thread title, HOW is it possible to have 11 pages on this topic???
you didn't see his other post about shimming up the bearings with some custom cut flat copper stock? he already has the stock, posted up pics just like the saw! just you wait buddy, he's gonna show all us how it's done!

all of this is high comedy with a gar-un-tee'd train wreck in the works.

So, if I can do math correctly, based upon the website I posted earlier, you can spend $400 for the correct set of pistons, but instead spent $300 for a bandsaw so you could modify another set of pistons you scored on the cheap.

It seems like the most rational thing to do is pop some popcorn and enjoy the posts:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I needed th saw anyway...don't think too much into it.

In my day's i have seen guy's do crazy things.
I knew a guy in HS took a cylinder hone that had fine stone's.
The engine would not clean up with it, as to far gone, needed bored.
So what to do?
Put rough wet or dry sand paper in cylinder, insert hone on top sand paper.
Remembering to use of old dirty oil is best when doing so.
Then use fine stone's after.
Did you know you can sand lifters back flat too with a belt sander.
You drill a hole in wood put the lifter in and sand away with dads Craftsman belt sander.
I wonder of it was a bad idea to post this as someone's gonna read that and say cool i am doing that great idea.

Last edited:
Simple entertainment. I come back once a week for a laugh.
Glad your not too serious, I am enjoying it also...so what if the cut don't turn out right. Check out the JE piston rejects got for this challenge...they sent me morethan I ordered(only3) . Got 7 instead...less than $10 a piston...if you see one you like, needing an extra, pm me an address and I will mail it to you for free, won't hack it.

IMG_20230604_172254692.jpg

In my day's i have seen guy's do crazy things.
I knew a guy in HS took a cylinder hone that had fine stone's.
The engine would not clean up with it, as to far gone, needed bored.
So what to do?
Put rough wet or dry sand paper in cylinder, insert hone on top sand paper.
Remembering to use of old dirty oil is best when doing so.
Then use fine stone's after.
Did you know you can sand lifters back flat too with a belt sander.
You drill a hole in wood put the lifter in and sand away with dads Craftsman belt sander.
I wonder of it was a bad idea to post this as someone's gonna read that and say cool i am doing that great idea.
Better to just slather an old piston with valve grinding compound and go up and down with it for a while with a drill, then clean up the last bit with the LISLE 15000 hone tool.

-
Back